• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Universal rips off Hellsing again with new movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
"Again"? When was the last time they ripped off Hellsing? Van Helsing was as much of a tribute to the old Universal horror films of the 30s as a new summer action flick. If there are any recent inspiration roots, it's much more based on Castlevania than Hellsing--which is in itself a cyclic tribute, since Castlevania was basically Conan the Barbarian vs. Universal horror monsters.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang: The Geneon people told me that Hirano was irritated that they used his designs for Van Helsing.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Movies about the Knights Templar have been made since the 40's. And movies about vampires probably before that. Doesn't seem like putting the two together would be any sort of rip off from Hellsing.

For the record I haven't read the Hellsing manga, but have seen the TV and OVA series. It's been a while since I watched the OVA. spoiler[Is the the thing the baddies are after the Holy Grail? ] Even if it is I am not sure how big a rip that would be since vampires and religion go hand in hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Sorry, just did a re-check, and it's the Protestant Knights; I guess that DaVinci thing got me confused. Embarassed
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Hardly a ripoff aside from some base similarities that would result in labeling thousands of titles as ripoffs, including Hellsing itself, if you were to paste that label on something so easily. Sorry, inflammatory accusatory posts with nothing behind them is borderline trolling. I'm gonna have to nip this one in the bud. You can accusing me of ripping off Nagisa or Tony K. as a result, seriously, I won't mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1