• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - In the Name of the Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
He was the friggin' black ranger, God damn it!

So far, I'm thankful for not dying from sleep deprivation thanks to Skyrim.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't entirely count out the Gunbuster box set. Extremely unlikely, yes, but they did feel the need to release the Blu Ray set of the movies.

I'd love to get the set myself, as I consider Gunbuster to be the best anime ever made, but I'm just as happy with my DVD set that Bandai Visual released years ago and Best Buy missed priced as $30.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Bosch was green in Zeo/Turbo and black in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Regardless, the Green Ranger shall always be Tommy Oliver (Jason Frank) and the Black Ranger shall always be Zack Taylor (Walter Jones) in my eyes.

Arrgh, I still need to see Cowboys and Aliens. That looked quite good. I just don't see movies in theaters anymore unless if I have someone to see it with. And since I only live with my cat and don't have any fellow geek friends in my town (not that they aren't there, the college campus does have an anime club, I just haven't put any big effort into attending the meetings since I don't live on campus)...

And I keep meaning to see Astro Boy and Speed Racer. Several of my friends enjoyed them.

Hopefully Answerman gets many responses this week. It'd be sad (though not unsurprising) if anime fans have more bitch about than they do to be thankful about.

I'm thankful that LE releases and streaming are catching on more nowadays. Not that I don't want regular editions without all of the bells and whistles - those are perfect for series I like but don't love. But I really love schazzy LEs for my favorite series. Now if only I could get series with a buttload of on disk extras like Princess Tutu did - that series is the Golden Apple in my eyes (not only is it my favorite anime series ever, it's also one of the best examples of on disk extras I love). Too bad it never got a freaking awesome LE box (hey, at least there's always Paul Champagne).

I'm also thankful that anime is still going strong (or at least surviving).

And I'm thankful I have a job to buy all of this great stuff. Like the Madoka LEs. *drool*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And second, those Japanese live-action Death Note movies are NOT "good." At least by my standards. Standards that require a certain aptitude as far as "plotting" and "acting." (Though I haven't seen the new L movie. After the first two I decided to cut my losses.)

C'mon, man, Matsuyama is L-Tastic!

Quote:
And also, I will stand by and say that, for the record, I didn't think the Hollywood versions of either Astro Boy or, dare I mention it, Speed Racer were all that bad.

I liked AB, but was bored to death by Speed Racer. The reason they did horribly at the box office, though, is that the original shows hadn't been relevant since their original broadcasts. As for why Prince of Persia underperformed, easy. Gyllenhall is not a draw. I actually expected Cowboys and Aliens to do better, though, but I guess Craig wasn't a draw, either.

Quote:
Or, hey, Alvin & The Chipmunks. What child, in 2007, knew or cared about Alvin & The Chipmunks? Movie proceeds to make hundreds of millions of dollars, now we have two other terrible movies, and so forth.

It didn't make money because of the nostalgia factor as much as the fact that it looks like every other CG talking animal toon.

Quote:
The reason that Hollywood movies based off of anime haven't had any real success is just another mystifying aspect of the film business.

My opinion is they don't know how to market these properties to general audiences.

As for the Sailor Moon anime, I think the only way they'll bring over the anime for now is through streaming. That, or someone's trying to negotiate the Blu-Ray rights at a "discount" on top of the usual licensing costs, so they can save some face on the package deal.

And Gunbuster won't be licensed because Bandai would have to charge close to what the original BVUSA release cost to justify its niche appeal. And they have enough trouble dumping those unsold Daibuster and Honneamise Blu-Rays onto Right Stuf. In addition, it's not the age that's killed its possibility of a re-release as much as that crappy sequel which makes people think the original OAV is just as bad.

Quote:
And honestly, I'm going to have to say that that's probably the only way to go on this one if you want your hi-def Gunbuster fix. Because even if, if by some miracle that Bandai decides to localize this set, I wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper.

It'd probably be about what Giant Robo R1 initially cost here, but actually be justified this time around.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wait, you have the perfect voice for anime OR cartoons?

But anime are cartoons
**Quickly dives under table
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
"Welp, Treasure Planet was a huge expensive bomb, that must mean that audiences HATE 2D animated film! Nevermind the fact that the movie was an unwatchable abortion!"

Obviously our tastes in animate movies differ... However, like the movie or don't like the movie, it does not warrant that type of talk.

In other words... YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

I'm shocked to hear Cowboys & Aliens didn't make a ton of money. That movie was AWESOME.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
"Welp, Treasure Planet was a huge expensive bomb, that must mean that audiences HATE 2D animated film! Nevermind the fact that the movie was an unwatchable abortion!"

Obviously our tastes in animate movies differ... However, like the movie or don't like the movie, it does not warrant that type of talk.

In other words... YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
I would say that yes, it probably wasn't as good as other great Disney films. But I still found it quite enjoyable, and it certainly satisfied in the visual spectacle market. Of course, I was 11 years old at the time.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
What, there's no Diebuster BDs yet? Or are they just terrible?

Bandai could just package both together and then the Gainax branding should work its magic.
Should sell like middle-of-the-day lukewarm cakes, if it's not priced too insanely.

Now selling Legend of the Galactic Heroes in the US, that's impossible.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:

Now selling Legend of the Galactic Heroes in the US, that's impossible.

Unfortunately. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hung over on tryptophan? A lot of people eat their turkey raw? Because that's the only way you'll get the tryptophan out of it. Properly cooked turkey has had the tryptophan destroyed. The sleepiness comes from the massive carb overload of the potatoes and breads and just plain food overdose in general that occurs on Thanksgiving. But, I'm sure that myth of tryptophan will continue for all eternity, because people like to blame it rather than just admit they were being pigs.

For what I'm thankful for, I'm thankful for Funimation bringing me so many titles that I enjoy. One needs only look no further than the banner on the site of Fairy Tail to see one that I'm glad is hitting my shores. I'm thankful for companies like Nozomi and NISAmerica, and to a lesser extent Funimation, for bringing out high quality collector's editions of releases, especially of releases that I never thought would see the light of day here. And finally, I'm thankful that I have the job that I do that pays me well enough to be able to afford all the anime, manga, and figurines that I buy.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Hung over on tryptophan? A lot of people eat their turkey raw? Because that's the only way you'll get the tryptophan out of it. Properly cooked turkey has had the tryptophan destroyed. The sleepiness comes from the massive carb overload of the potatoes and breads and just plain food overdose in general that occurs on Thanksgiving. But, I'm sure that myth of tryptophan will continue for all eternity, because people like to blame it rather than just admit they were being pigs.
I for one enjoy my turkey rare. Turkey sushi is also pretty good.

You know that guy who said Sazae San is getting old? I agree. We need a Divine Sea Warriors action series, complete with traditional family values, patriotism and the glorification of war. That would be cool.

It probably wouldn't do as well as Sazae-san, however.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wouldn't entirely count out the Gunbuster box set. Extremely unlikely, yes, but they did feel the need to release the Blu Ray set of the movies.

I'd love to get the set myself, as I consider Gunbuster to be the best anime ever made, but I'm just as happy with my DVD set that Bandai Visual released years ago and Best Buy missed priced as $30.

Just because something's old is no excuse to give it the love it rightfully deserves! Gunbuster is an undisputed classic and deserves more props than the shitty ecchi shows plaguing the market. Hopefully Sentai or Discotek will pick it up and not charge an arm, leg, and one's firstborn for it like Nerd Gouger$ U$A did. (Whoever at Bandai Visual decided that Americans should pay the same prices as the Japanese for their anime should be found, strung up, then drawn and quartered for that! You can only mark up something so much before people refuse to buy it!)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:

I'm shocked to hear Cowboys & Aliens didn't make a ton of money. That movie was AWESOME.

Uh, no, you take that back.
The Black Stones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Answerfan - discovered that I really can't stand shoujo featuring females as the main character

Uh What? HAHAHA. This is like the overwhelming majority of Shoujo. Get used to it. I don't think I've bought a Shoujo where a female wasn't the main character. I'm sure they're out there but I don't know how you "discover" this fact. [/quote][/b]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Why did Transformers make over 300 million dollars each with the second one making 400 million dollars domestic, while the third made over a billion dollars worldwide?

Michael Bay, in his entire career his made one flop while all the rest made massive amounts of money. Awesome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4