• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

It starts on Monday, July 28, 2008 on the Sci-fi channel; 11:00 PM Eastern/ 10:00pm central.

In contrast to other series that are premiering on TV right now, this broadcast will have 2 episodes per week, so there'll be events to discuss.

I'm sorry that I don't have a trailer for the Bandai dub, but the only ones I could find had bad audio quality. But if anyone can find a good one, then feel free to post it. In the meantime, all I can find are 2 trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_lSGooF1Y- Japanese trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAAOQHhoyzA- Trailer for the ADV version

Overall, it looks like it's going to be a fun series. Albeit a ridiculous one, seeing as how the title for the 1st episode is "Bust Through The Heavens With Your Drill". Razz

EPISODE INDEX (Clicking the links below will take you to the approximate post where we start discussing the content - story, characters, production, etc.)

Episode 1- Bust Through The Heavens With Your Drill and Episode 2- I Said I'm Gonna Pilot That Thing
Episode 3- You Two-Faced Son Of A B(***)h and Episode 4- Does Having So Many Faces Make You Great?
Episode 5-I Don't Understand It At All and Episode 6-All Of You Bastards Put Us In Hot Water
Episode 7-You'll Be The One To Do That and Episode 8-Farewell Comrades
Episode 9-Just What Is Exactly Human? and Episode 10-Who Really Was Your Big Brother?
Episode 11-Simon, Please Remove Your Hand and Episode 12-Miss Yoko, I Have Something To Ask You
Episode 13-Everybody, Eat To Your Hearts Content & Episode 14-How Are You, Everyone?
Episode 15-I'll Head Towards Tomorrow & Episode 16-Entire Polysynthesis
Episode 17-You Understand Nothing & Episode 18-I'll Make You Tell The Truth of the World
Episode 19-We Shall Survive By Whatever We Do and Episode 20-Oh, God, How Far Will You Test Us?
Episode 21-You Must Survive and Episode 22-This Is My Last Duty
Episode 23-Let's Go, The Final Battle and Episode 24-We Will Never Forget, This Minute and This Second
Episode 25-I Accept Your Dying Wish, Episode 26-Let's Go, Comrades and Episode 27-All The Lights In The Sky Are Stars

Last edited by braves on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:07 am; edited 15 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't seen it and enjoy super robot and sentai series with a heavy dose of humor and hot-blooded action, I think you'll be in for a real treat. I look forward to hearing the dub voices. I hope they could pull it off with such a short production period.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised when I saw adv advertising "the gainax bounce" I don't think I have ever heard the dubbing company do that before. I can't wait though only a few days left.[/url]
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
If you haven't seen it and enjoy super robot and sentai series with a heavy dose of humor and hot-blooded action, I think you'll be in for a real treat.

I haven't been around anime that long to watch many mecha series and I'm not sure what sentai is, but I can always appreciate some humor and good action, which why I'm really looking forward to this show. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those series last spring season that I'm kind of kicking myself for not having watched, especially considering how good I keep hearing it is. Mad Now I don't have Sci-Fi, yes, that's a fact, but I'm actually going to try and do this time around something I should have done a long, long time ago, like, when anime first started airing on Sci-Fi in the first place, not to mention that run of Ergo Proxy that was on Fuse....... This time I'm going to contact one of my friends that I'm pretty sure has Sci-Fi themselves, and see if they can tape it for me weekly or something.

Hopefully this works out. If it does, I'd like to follow along in this thread if I can. If not, well, hopefully one of these days I'll get my chance. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
This is one of those series last spring season that I'm kind of kicking myself for not having watched, especially considering how good I keep hearing it is. Mad Now I don't have Sci-Fi, yes, that's a fact, but I'm actually going to try and do this time around something I should have done a long, long time ago, like, when anime first started airing on Sci-Fi in the first place, not to mention that run of Ergo Proxy that was on Fuse....... This time I'm going to contact one of my friends that I'm pretty sure has Sci-Fi themselves, and see if they can tape it for me weekly or something.

Hopefully this works out. If it does, I'd like to follow along in this thread if I can. If not, well, hopefully one of these days I'll get my chance. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I suppose that's better than nothing, but enjoy your low quality. I just hope skiffy doesn't mess around on this broadcast, like putting it in the wrong aspect ratio like they did for Solid State Society, or have bad audio problems like they did for the R.O.D. OVA. Any single one little problem will immediately turn away thousands of potential fans.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
I suppose that's better than nothing, but enjoy your low quality.

Eh, low quality doesn't bother me at all. In fact I've kind of made a living of anime series I've watched via taping them each night on Adult Swim.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I haven't been around anime that long to watch many mecha series and I'm not sure what sentai is, but I can always appreciate some humor and good action, which why I'm really looking forward to this show. Smile

If you have ever watched,seen or even heard of the Power Rangers,congrats.Sentai has been under your nose the whole time. Very Happy A note for dub fans,Johnny Yong Bosch played as Adam Park in the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.He played parts of the Black or Green Rangers.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Eh, low quality doesn't bother me at all. In fact I've kind of made a living of anime series I've watched via taping them each night on Adult Swim.
If your friend fails you, I can provide recordings. (I'd have to hook up a VCR to do it though. Don't suppose I could just record it on DVD instead?)

I hope this series at least somewhat lives up to its hype. I'm trying to keep my expectations low but the way people have built it up it's difficult to do. Some of my favorite VAs are in it though so that will help.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
]If your friend fails you, I can provide recordings. (I'd have to hook up a VCR to do it though. Don't suppose I could just record it on DVD instead?)

Oh could you? That would be so awesome if you can, thanks very much for offering. Very Happy Of course I'll see what my friend can do, that might be easier for pretty much everyone, but if you can, how would we do it? Would you like, rip it onto the computer and e-mail it to me or something? Or would you just simply mail it to me or something like that?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure I have the right programs to rip it so I'd probably mail it to you. I should probably be your back up since a nearby friend will have a far shorter waiting period than recordings mailed from Georgia. (Let me know if I'm needed. I'm planning to record it anyway so it's not a big deal.)
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm not entirely sure I have the right programs to rip it so I'd probably mail it to you. I should probably be your back up since a nearby friend will have a far shorter waiting period than recordings mailed from Georgia. (Let me know if I'm needed. I'm planning to record it anyway so it's not a big deal.)

Oh yeah, I was thinking about this possibility, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to put you through having to tape it every week for no apparent reason if I didn't need you to. Anime smile + sweatdrop But yeah, if you're just going to record it for yourself anyways then that would be much appreciated. I'll probably send you PMs or something then if I ever need a backup. Thanks very much. Very Happy
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Hmm, not bad. I'll probably get more accustomed to the English voices over time, but not bad.
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

Ah..wonderful wonderful dub. I knew it was going to be great, but I have absolutely no complaints.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24