• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Number 1 Graphic Novel Publisher

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, it's quality, not quantity, that counts. By those terms, Viz is the #1 manga publisher, while Tokyopop is behind Dark Horse/Digital Manga, ADV, and Del Rey in 5th.

Tokyopop may release the most titles, but few of them are worth-while.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz was absent from Tokyopop's survey.

Does anyone else find this statement interesting? And I agree that quality is more important than quantity.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
In my opinion, it's quality, not quantity, that counts. By those terms, Viz is the #1 manga publisher, while Tokyopop is behind Dark Horse/Digital Manga, ADV, and Del Rey in 5th.

Tokyopop may release the most titles, but few of them are worth-while.

Viz is far from number one quality wise. Believe me, I boud mouth about it every time I notice them going cheap on one of my favourite manga.

And you may not like their wide selection of shoujo titles to choose from, but I love them for it.

I think top quality should be Del Rey. They're only had a handful of releases, but damn they were great.
Mad_Triad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I think top quality should be Del Rey. They're only had a handful of releases, but damn they were great.

Here here, previews of the next volume on the end of mangas? I don't see anyone else doing that (unless you wish to correct me)! Although Del Ray are abit slow on their releases but they're new so its to be expected... they'll get upto speed eventually Smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Viz's quality varies. They have some stuff I really love. Their translation quality for some titles is great, and I love they way they made Vagabond's format (oversized, high quality paper and ink, but still under $10), but lately they have been putting out alot of crap. Darkhorse has a ton of really classic titles, and most of the time their translations are superb. And Digital Manga didn't impress me with the work they did on the new DH stuff, especially compared to Proteus' translations.
And Tokyopop just floods the market. Some titles are great, alot of them suck. The writing and editing needs to be improved on alot of their titles as well.
As for Del Rey, they have good formats, and I like the extras in each book, but their titles don't seem special to me. Negima, xxxholic and Tsubasa are all fun mangas, but they never really amazed me the way people say they do. Good, but still pretty run of the mill in terms of writing (the art in the CLAMP titles is very nice though.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

We'll see how things keep going, especially now that they've acquired those mysterious 6 new titles.
Their print quality varies (had a number of poor quality printed pages in my latest Tsubasa). As far as quality of titles goes, Tokyopop has quite a few good titles, you just have to dig for them.

I think that presentation-wise Broccoli is leading the pack, closely followed by Digital Manga (gotta love the soft book with dust jacket) and Del Rey would round out my top three.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(gotta love the soft book with dust jacket)

For WORST? It was annoying in my opinion. Viz has a much better variation with No.5 thats of a much nicer quality (and size). And I still can't stand some of their writing. For presentation of products, Viz has some really great ones (Vagabond, No.5, Junko Mizuno's books), and alot of crappy ones. In overall quality product (size, paper, translation, presentation) its easily Proteus' titles published by Darkorse.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Hum...And I thought Tokyopop was so liked...I find a lot of options and good stuff on them, but Dark Horse also got me impressed, with so many good titles, not really expensive and with a great quality...

News reporter wrote:
Viz was absent from Tokyopop's survey.

No, it's not interesting. It just gives us an idea about how Tokyopop is scared about Viz's popularity...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I think that presentation-wise Broccoli is leading the pack, closely followed by Digital Manga (gotta love the soft book with dust jacket) and Del Rey would round out my top three.

I haven't been able to pick up any of Broccoli and Digital Manga's books yet. If DM has dust jackets like the original Japanese tankubon, that's a major + for me in presentation.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
lianncoop wrote:

I haven't been able to pick up any of Broccoli and Digital Manga's books yet. If DM has dust jackets like the original Japanese tankubon, that's a major + for me in presentation.

DM released Berserk, Trigun, and Hellsing. Basically, all the latest darkhorse manga. Also I wuldn't say Del Ray is the best simply because they're only releasing a couple of manga. Once they start publishing 20+ manga at a time, then we'll see how well they do under those circumstances. And then it's more reasonable to compare them.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
DM released Berserk, Trigun, and Hellsing. Basically, all the latest manga.

Digital Manga and Dark Horse are the same company? That's news to me. Shocked
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
No. Darkhorse hired Digital Manga to translate those three titles. DM has nothing to do with publishing them.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
No. Darkhorse hired Digital Manga to translate those three titles. DM has nothing to do with publishing them.

Yea I meant to say it like that. Thier work can be seen in Berserk, Hellsing & Trigun. I like Hellsing's paper quality. DM doesn't publish for Dark horse but they work for them. Kind of like Rare who once created awesome videogame for Nintendo.

They don't translate the Sound effect though. Some people don't want it translated while others want it translated. To me it doesn't matter.

Darkhorse has two translating division, studio proteus (blade of immortal and older dh manga) and digital manga (newer manga). Is studio proteus still around? There website isn't working.
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty silly argument. Tokyopop is COLOSSAL - they're the biggest manga publisher in the US and they're selling a gigantic amount of books. They license everything and anything and put it out, just like, you know, a real publishing house. They aren't one of these little boutique publishers set up solely to please anime fans; they're aiming for the mass market. Not everything they put out is great, but then, not everything Hyperion puts out is going to interest you, either. Get a little perspective.

Frankly, manga's pretty homogenized; you get the same basic product from everyone. Reasonable translation, digest sized, $7.99-$9.99. The differences between the seperate publishing entities are pretty much negligible, unless you're fretting over percieved translation errors or whatever, which is basically obsessing and you'll never be happy with anything anyway. Viz = TP = Dark Horse = Del Ray = Comicsone = etc etc etc.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Darkhorse has two translating division, studio proteus (blade of immortal and older dh manga) and digital manga (newer manga). Is studio proteus still around? There website isn't working.

Yea, they still do a ton of stuff (OMG, Blade, Exaxxion, Club 9, the list goes on). Their site going down could have something to do with DH aquisition of them and Toren's retirment as leader. Toren is still with them. He just translates Blade now and works as a consultant, sort of like Dana Lewis' Japanese wife (I think it's Lewis, but I could be wrong).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3