• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Three Things

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Xbox 360 version is out in Japan this April, and few in the fighting-game scene seem interested. But perhaps they're not the audience anyway.

I know one guy in the local fighting game scene who would think otherwise.
B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
I wish Bandai Namco would release Venus and Braves in America. I hear it's a great game. I've been wanting to play it since the PS2 version was released.

Oh, well. At least they decided to give us Tales of Graces F.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They're vague when it comes to naming all of those games, but at least a dozen arrive on March 27: Super Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats, Resident Evil: Mercenaries and Nintendo's submarine side-scroller Steel Diver are the standouts

Thanks for posting this, the vagueness surrounding the games that will actually accompany the 3DS on it's launch day has been killing me.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
I am QUITE angry at Samus not being playable in DOA: Dimensions. If you're going to make a stage based on the franchise you might as well make its heroine a playable character and let me indulge in my guilty pleasure fantasy of seeing who would win between Samus and Ryu.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
Venus and Braves sounds pretty interesting, but since it's a relatively obscure PSP game by Namco-Bandai we might as well abandon all hope right now. N-B easily rivals SNK when it comes to depressing gaming companies, though in an entirely different way.

BTW, didn't Lost Odyssey do something similar?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
While it doesn't fall under the purview of the column, I'd figured that it be big enough news to warrant a couple lines: Duke Nukem Forever has an official release date. Watch the trailer! (NSFW) Pre-order the game! The hell with SNK's problems, we can finally cash in our bets. Wink

Hail to the King, baby!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily list Capcom as a company to be emulated (they have a way of releasing increasingly sub-standard sequels), but yeah, anything is better than what SNK is doing.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
It sure doesn't help that the one time they gave one of their franchises to another company recently, it was the wrong company - I think more people know about Samurai Shodown 64 than Sen at this point.

Smart business decisions or not, I'll always love what SNK's suicidal tendencies have produced. An outstanding little handheld that made portable fighting games awesome in an era when they never were, a fully hand drawn high quality 2D fighter of the caliber everyone else decided wasn't possible (well, even if it took them two tries to get it all right)...yeah, I hope they'll start making enough sensible decisions so we're not thinking they're about to go bankrupt again every other year, but I still appreciate how they've had the balls to give us things nobody else will.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
I'm really pissed off that they won't port the SaGa games. Rodea the Sky Soldier' looks interesting. It has a feel that goes back to many of the older games released on the PS/PS2, DC and NGC (ie.- Tail Concerto, Dark Cloud, Sword of Mana, Evolution, etc...). Which is why it's on the Wii/NDS, because graphic-wise there is no place for it on the larger consoles unless they pull out all the stops. Not really bashing it, but I read so many articles where gamers complain about a game graphics. So I'm interested in seeing what the game has to offer. The music isn't bad though.

As for the 'Valkyria Chronicles' art book, DO WANT. Razz

*Update, just pre-ordered my copy. Amazon has got a nice going on. $49.99 price, pre-order price $28+ - my $5 promotional credit + free S/H = $23 of 400 pg goodness in Feb. Smile

It's been awhile since I bought an artbook and this was ONE I was waiting for and wanted but never thought to check if there was one to import. I really love the design work for the series. Just wish the anime got the same treatment but hey...what can you do? Wish they'd release a art book for Vanillaware works.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Only 3-4 games this year I truly care about.

Yakuza of the End + English release of Yakuza 4

Uncharted 3

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!!

And Pokemon B&W.

I have a massive backlog so I guess I'll get to that. I haven't even played more than 20 minutes of Atelier no Totori 2 yet.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm really pissed off that they won't port the SaGa games. Rodea the Sky Soldier' looks interesting. It has a feel that goes back to many of the older games released on the PS/PS2, DC and NGC (ie.- Tail Concerto, Dark Cloud, Sword of Mana, Evolution, etc...). Which is why it's on the Wii/NDS, because graphic-wise there is no place for it on the larger consoles unless they pull out all the stops. Not really bashing it, but I read so many articles where gamers complain about a game graphics. So I'm interested in seeing what the game has to offer. The music isn't bad though.

As for the 'Valkyria Chronicles' art book, DO WANT. Razz

*Update, just pre-ordered my copy. Amazon has got a nice going on. $49.99 price, pre-order price $28+ - my $5 promotional credit + free S/H = $23 of 400 pg goodness in Feb. Smile

It's been awhile since I bought an artbook and this was ONE I was waiting for and wanted but never thought to check if there was one to import. I really love the design work for the series. Just wish the anime got the same treatment but hey...what can you do? Wish they'd release a art book for Vanillaware works.

Artbook looks nice, but I don't really buy any videogame artbooks for more than $20...I'll think about it.
Ties

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
SNK woes... ok, hmmm, not surprised much
Nintendo 3DS news.... ok, nothing new much since I read Kotaku
*keeps on reading*
Udon getting new artbook out.... I'm not much into Street Fighter artbook and.... OMFG IT'S THE VALKYRIA CHRONICLES ARTBOOK, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

*places order on Amazon.ca*
*comes back and reads rest of the article*

X Button took me more time to read than usual Anime hyper
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I can tell I am going to pick up Phantom Breaker and Arcana Heart 3 someday. I have a weakness for slightly ecchi/moe 2d fighting games, even if they are highly mediocre (or worse) games...

As for SNK, it's too bad. They have some great talent, but their production schedules and marketing techniques is way crap. They know their fighting games inside and out, KOF XII aside. But fighting games ARE a really niche genre now, outside of a few hits (SSIV) so yes, I agree it would behoove them to branch out some more with different genres.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Isn't The Last Story supposed to be released in Japan this week, like today or tomorrow? I mean, you did feature it a few weeks ago on The X Button... but it's still pretty momentous, considering it's Sakaguchi and Nintendo involved on a home console release...

Or will you discuss that more next week?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's more encouraging that Kitase and Toriyama also mentioned improving the Final Fantasy XIII battle system. Perhaps they'll let us control more than one character at a time.

By doing what? Slowing down the game and bringing back archaic menus? I really hope they don't wind up pandering to all the "This is not a RPG" haters out there.

And I am SO getting that Valkyria Chronicles artbook!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2