• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena's Kunihiko Ikuhara to Direct New TV Anime in 2011

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
An anime with a teenage protagonist? It'll never work...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Probably this years's best anime-related news so far. Ikuhara is brilliant, and his 12-year-long sabbatical from directing anime was the industry's loss.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Welcom back Ikuhara! Very Happy I cant wait to see this
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
The title translates, for anyone who's interested, as "The Outcast Bride." I'm not sure what "Lolita hardboiled" means, but with a title like that it sounds like an underage girl being married...? The question then becomes, how will he fit lesbians into this? The man, by his own definition, likes lesbian relationships for female characters more than heterosexual ones.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The title translates, for anyone who's interested, as "The Outcast Bride." I'm not sure what "Lolita hardboiled" means, but with a title like that it sounds like an underage girl being married...? The question then becomes, how will he fit lesbians into this? The man, by his own definition, likes lesbian relationships for female characters more than heterosexual ones.

Oh, he can get lesbians in this easy. Underage bride who gets forced into an unhappy marriage who is then saved by another woman.
Even though there are very few details, I'm excited for this. Utena is tied for my number 1 favourite anime.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Based on the fact that it's being serialized in Kera, which is a fashion magazine, and the illustration in the article, I assumed he meant lolita in the fashion sense rather than focusing specifically on an underage girl. Of course, it could always be an underage girl who's into EGL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
UTENA is one of my all time favorite anime series ever.

I hope he incorporates shoujo ai into this new series, like in all his projects.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The question then becomes, how will he fit lesbians into this? The man, by his own definition, likes lesbian relationships for female characters more than heterosexual ones.

Somehow, a tiny sliver of hope just emerged. I mean, he's definitely not the type to go for the mundane, right?!!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Oh, he can get lesbians in this easy. Underage bride who gets forced into an unhappy marriage who is then saved by another woman.
Even though there are very few details, I'm excited for this. Utena is tied for my number 1 favourite anime.

That's my bet, it contains the main theme of Ikuhara's career (Heterosexuals bad, lesbians good) while leaving plenty to explore.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Quark wrote:

That's my bet, it contains the main theme of Ikuhara's career (Heterosexuals bad, lesbians good) while leaving plenty to explore.

WTF are you talking about? Since when has he ever done a "heterosexuals bad" theme? Are you some kind of homophobe who views the existence of gay themes in something as anti-heterosexual, or did you really misinterpret the themes in his work to that ridiculous of an extent? Utena was about a girl going against patriarchal norms and power structure. It has nothing to do with heterosexuality being bad.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It was a joke, I obviously have no problems with homosexuality. We have no real information on this project since the average western anime fan doesn't read japanese novels unless their part of a popular anime series like Spice and Wolf, or Haruhi. The result is that right now a lot of people are joking around.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It was a joke, I obviously have no problems with homosexuality. We have no real information on this project since the average western anime fan doesn't read japanese novels unless their part of a popular anime series like Spice and Wolf, or Haruhi. The result is that right now a lot of people are joking around.

All right. It's just your sarcasm wasn't that obvious. My bad.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It's okay, I don't pick up on sarcasm that well either.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
YESSSS!!!! He's my favorite anime director of all-time.
Utena to me still stands as one of the best works to come of out the 90s (second only to Eva). The show was really his brainchild. He recruited Chiho Saito for the character designs and to draw the manga as the lead up to the anime but the story was always his.
Utena turned out to be the pinnacle of his work. He financed a good part of it and so had the freedom to do whatever he wanted. I think that's why he hasn't come back for such a long time as he may had reached his 'top' and didn't think he could go anywhere but down from there. Of course, this economy tends to catch up to everyone Anime smile + sweatdrop

Glad he's back.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It's okay, I don't pick up on sarcasm that well either.

Sarcasm is one of the most difficult things to express on the internet, in my experience.

I don't think Ikuhara has ever been "heterosexuals bad," but he definitely is "lesbian couples yay!" At the same time, though, it's far too simplistic to see Utena as a "lesbian rescues girl from awful men" storyline, at least if you've actually watched the whole thing, since spoiler[Anthy is as much a villain as anyone else in the story, with her selfishness leading to fall of the Prince]. The real "enemy" in Utena is the fairy tale structure and the way it limits the roles people can play.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2