• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Antique Bakery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of Antique Bakery. Being a guy, I didn't think this was a BL manga when I saw teenage girls ( and I know that sound stereotypical but it happened.) having a major gushing session in the middle of the bookstore. I even have to fight people who refer to the series as a Yaoi series. ( I read Yaoi too but get your genres right.) Aside from Yoshinaga's breathtaking artwork, the story are amazing along with the little side ones. I wish they could bring the Dojinshi over but someone had mentioned that Companies can't do it since it's fan made even though it's the original creator that is drawing them. ( Another example is Kadoka Kazuma's unofficial spinoff to Kizuna - "Hana and Ryu")
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Even though I heard wonderful things about this series, I put off reading it for the longest time. When I finally did read it... WOW!!! Fumi Yoshinaga truly is a gifted storyteller.

I've read the doujinshi too and it is a shame that they haven't gotten an official release in the states. So it can never happen because Kodansha owns the rights to the story? They can't make a deal where Kodansha gets a percentage of the profit or something - like they do when a company "borrows" another company's icon, mascot, etc? Please no snide comments - I really am curious.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
Fumi Yoshinaga is AMAZING! She's currently one of only two mangaka to have a dedicated shelf space section on my immense manga shelves (the other being the late great Osamu Tezuka). There's just something about the way she incorporates expressions and dialogue that make her characters feel so much more real than anything put out by your average mangaka, I'll read absolutely anything she's written. I'm not a yaoi person, I've tried before, but I still read Ichigenme because it had the infinite appeal of Fumi Yoshinaga. She takes the most mundane of things and makes them incredible, like Not Love But Delicious Foods is just her getting off on being a foodie for the most part and I am not exactly a foodie but even I was like "OMG, more Fumi Yoshinaga goodness!"

My favorite series of hers is still Flower of Life, part of it is appealing so heavily to my inner super nerd (and a Banana Fish reference to boot!) and the rest is just the characters, because school isn't exactly a unique and original setting, but man does she sure make it feel like no other manga I've read has taken place in a high school before. Shame vol 4 is soooo OOP (as is Antique Bakery now, glad I've got both series)
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
I have to confess I haven't actually read this (except the doujins) since my first contact with Antique Bakery (and Fumi Yoshinaga herself) was the Noitimina anime which I adored. Kinou Nani wo Tabeta needs to be translated since it actually contains recipes! (and home economic tips Anime hyper)

Also really enjoying Ooku which is great in Japanese (not so sure about the olde English adaptation) and how even with the huge alternative history power struggle going on, it is still ultimately a very human drama.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Antique Bakery is great, and I think it's the most lended-out manga series that I own. I'd really like to check out the doujins sometime just to see what goes on after the series.

The anime just came out on DVD in the US, too. I haven't seen all of it yet but it seemed pretty accurate to the manga unlike the drama series (which wasn't bad, but it wasn't the same....).

And pretty much anyone should check out the Korean film version because it's pretty glorious and I'd consider it on equal terms to the manga series.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
I bought the anime series on a recommendation from a friend and also because of my love for her other series Ooku. I finished watching it last night, adored it, and lent it to a friend already. I'm going to pick up the manga as soon as I can. I hope the doujinshi is eventually released here, since I really want to know what happens, but hate reading scans.

Quote:
Kinô nani Tabeta? ("What Did You Eat Yesterday?"), a pure cooking manga about a gay couple who cook lots of tasty food at home.

That manga sounds fantastic!
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
I've heard a lot about Antique Bakery but it doesn't seem that appealing to me. I'm not much of a foodie, though. But thanks for doing another article on a BL series. And if may make a suggestion, write about Otomen sometime; it's not actually BL but most of the guy characters are feminine, but the twist is they're straight!

And brace yourself, I'm sure Alex is going to show up soon and rage all over this. Dude still won't let up on me about last week's article.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
I saw the anime and loved it! I didn't know the story continued on afterwards, though... What happens in those doujinshi?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:

Quote:
Kinô nani Tabeta? ("What Did You Eat Yesterday?"), a pure cooking manga about a gay couple who cook lots of tasty food at home.

That manga sounds fantastic!

Seriously, this would be an instant buy for me.

So far I have not once been disappointed with Yoshinaga. Granted, some are better than others, but they've all been great reads. My favorites are Antique Bakery, Ooku, and Not Love but Delicious Foods. I just wish I was in Japan so that I could go to the wonderful sounding restaurants in NLBDF.

I didn't know there was canon Antique Bakery doujinshi. I usually avoid scans, but in this case...

PLEASE someone license "Kinô nani Tabeta?"!
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
So classicalzawa has been trying to get me to read this for a while. I've just had a lot on my plate. After this though, I was like fine, I'll order the damn books. So Jason, you keep making me spend my money because this is the second or third time I've done this after reading one of the House of a 1000 Manga articles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
So Jason, you keep making me spend my money because this is the second or third time I've done this after reading one of the House of a 1000 Manga articles.

I think I've done this about 4x with this column, plus over another half dozen times with Right Turn Only. This site is expensive. :X
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I saw the anime and loved it! I didn't know the story continued on afterwards, though... What happens in those doujinshi?

Spoliers...maybe?

I found some brief descriptions online, without scans. It seems like some are stories involving Ono inbetween the "love confession" and the start of Antique Bakery, some are side stories with other characters, some are imagined situations- basically an excuse to draw more sex, and the last few are a continuation of the story in which Ono and Chikage become involved.
Potato07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yay! Finally, it is Antique Bakery's turn. It is my fav of Yoshinaga. The following will be Flower of Life. I just love her sense of humor.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Glad you've put a focus on some Yoshinaga work, Jason!

Now, someone tell me if I'm remembering this wrong: didn't DMP's original releases of the manga also feature scratch-and-sniff covers? I remember flipping out at the time over "scratch'n'sniff yaoi!"
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
Glad you've put a focus on some Yoshinaga work, Jason!

Now, someone tell me if I'm remembering this wrong: didn't DMP's original releases of the manga also feature scratch-and-sniff covers? I remember flipping out at the time over "scratch'n'sniff yaoi!"

House of 1000 manga wrote:
The DMP edition of Antique Bakery has a great translation and, in some editions at least, even includes an awesome SCRATCH N' SNIFF cover so you can smell that hot baking action.

I have them. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2