• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Gintama Manga 23 Is Final N. American Volume

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Guess it's selling poorly...
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Awwww, this is a shame. I was planning to buy this series eventually...so I feel a little bad because I haven't added to sales, which may be (probably is) the reason why Gintama is being discontinued. But then again, I own 10+ long running (ie. 20+ volume) manga series from Viz, and I just don't have the money to splurge on this series (which I DO love). I'm buying the anime (which I think is superior, from what I've seen of the manga), and if Viz isn't going to continue putting out new volumes, I probably won't invest in the manga. For me this is like Reborn all over again...planning to buy a series, but then ditching because the company ditches.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Ridiculous to call it the "final" volume when it's still on-going in Japan. Oh well, at least the anime's still rolling for now. Bit of a bummer though. Rolling Eyes
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Eh I'll buy up to 23 and find the rest of it other ways.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
It really is an issue with sales, particularly for those series with 20+ volumes. Heck, Viz probably would have pulled the plug on Naruto after 27 volumes (if not even earlier) in the U.S. if it wasn't such a big seller for them...
skafreak51

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
This is terribly depressing, worst news I've heard in a long time...
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Such a shame.
Unfortunately we are in an age where physical media such as manga just isn't going to sell that well if that is the only option, especially for long running series in the US.
Perhaps rather than dropping it, they can continue by distributing it digitally? It's better than nothing and at least makes Viz look a little better.
These days all they are known for is dropping anything that isn't called Naruto or Bleach.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
They did the same thing with Reborn and Zatch Bell...I guess it's all about the bottom line, not the fans...
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
This is why I don't buy any anime or manga until it's fully released.

At $10 a volume some people have now thrown over $200 down the drain on a series that will never be complete which would personally make me even less likely to spend money on anything Viz releases in future.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
This is one if the few reasons I hate on going manga/publishers in America, and really do wish the companies would adapt with the time with digital copies. If there is more of series out there that is still going on that is not licensed what do you think the fans that you built up for it are going to do? I know what I have done for higurashi season 2 and rei ova's as well as zero no tsukima season 2 and 3 I don't like it but I hate being left in the dark. Anime, manga it's all the same because fans of any series like sense of completion and conclusion to their shows and manga. Well at least the anime is available at cr to watch even with the new season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
I think Viz did not even bother to state they weren't publishing Reborn. Too bad, but it's hard to take it seriously when seeing the character in the cover Laughing
skafreak51

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
This is why I don't buy any anime or manga until it's fully released.

At $10 a volume some people have now thrown over $200 down the drain on a series that will never be complete which would personally make me even less likely to spend money on anything Viz releases in future.

While I understand and agree to an extent, that's definitely a reason why these things get dropped in the first place.

If half the people who were going to buy Gintama wanted to wait, Viz has no way of knowing that... they wouldn't make any money.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
It's a shame, but if the series was selling that poorly, I guess it was inevitable. I'm surprised it even made it this far. I have vol. 1-20, but I'll go ahead and get the remaining 3 volumes to "complete" my collection. I just hope 23 doesn't end in the middle of a story arc that Gintama occasionally does.

Hopefully Sentai will continue the anime further past where this left off.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
The problem with Gintama is that it's like Zetsubou Sensei. There are a lot of cultural references and if people don't get them, the series won't make sense. While Gintama is not exactly on the same level as Zetsubou Sensei in terms of that content, it's still a a fair amount that the series revolves around.
Shujin-Saiko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Well this is terrible news for me, I've been buying this manga since 2007 and now I guess I'll have to start importing japanese volumes (This isn't the first time I had to start importing because of a series discontinuing).
Other than the first volume, the translation has been good, and I suspected something was up when the releases started to take longer, viz was releasing 6 gintama volumes a year until late last year.
Now I just hope sentai flimworks doesn't stop making the dvd volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6