• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll toss in my quick votes:

Match C-29: The Count (Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo)
The Count has a far more charismatic presence than Admiral Spoor and a far calmer demeanor as he pulls his manipulations and plans of revenge without losing his composure.

Match C-30: Akira Takezawa (Eden of the East franchise)
Akira has a more colorful personality and is far more charismatic. The fact he's able to stay cool, collected and easygoing with whom he interacts with, even while dealing with enemy Selecao and spoiler[an army of naked angry NEETs] speaks enough for the amount of charm the guy has.

Looking forward to the inevitable Count vs Akira match next round. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Been out for the count way longer than I would have like due to some less than pleasant recent events in RL, but here I am again. Just to make it clear my lack of voting has little to do with my lack interest for this tournament topic at hand. It's interesting in its own way even though it is more open to interpretation than most. I would like to promise that I will be consistent as often as I have in the past with my voting, but I have really been thrown a curve ball here and I don't see it getting any better. Then again votes only take 10-30 mins once a week; only problem is that this legal process really has me drained. But then again that shouldn't be an excuse because I always feel much better after I vote. I love these tournaments and I hope the less than impressive response to this tournament doesn't mean that these thing will be less frequent or stop entirely.

Match C-29: Count (Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo)
The Count's sheer charismatic and charming presence make this match an easy choice against the always entertaining, but sometimes short-tempered and overbearing Spoor. The Count amplifies this weakness of his of foe by having a calm and graceful composure that's rarely broken. Also how many people can pull off revenge with panache, wit, charm, tact, and still seem like a hell of likable guy on the surface? Role model? Far from it, but he's one cool cat who enthralls pretty much everyone he is around with an equally interesting mysterious past and well developed back-story.

Match C-30: Akira (Eden of the East franchise)

Akira has such a strong and multifaceted personality that it even makes Nov 11, the super cool and overly confident British spy, almost seem like a bland archetype in comparison. Akira also has a stronger force of personal and more natural feeling charisma. Akira's easy going and down to earth personality puts the nail in the coffin when matched against Nov. 11. whose personality borders on arrogant and overconfidence on more than one occasion. I also agree with other posters that while Nov 11. is cool; it feels that a part of his cool persona is artificial and that he is trying too hard to be perceived as cool and sly than be so in his core.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You're kind of stating the obvious here.

Then there would be no need for arguments.

Except for trying to get people to re-evaluate their criteria for what is cool (Just because one is biased doesn't mean that bias can't ever change) and to convince those who aren't familiar with one or both character.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit ambivalent about this group- it looks like my choices are in the lead, but I really don't know how I'll vote next round.
Group C-29
Letopanyu Spoor, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise
vs.
The Count, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

VOTING FOR: The Count
Spoor has her presence, but it's such a forced presence it's hard to consider her cool. Yes, she's intelligent and cunning and full of attitude, but it's such a privileged position. So much of what supposedly makes her cool (power, position, superiority complex) was given to her by birthright.
I also have a general problem with The Count just because of his goal, he puts forth his entire charisma and amassed fortune for revenge, I find that part of him hard to admire and the survivors of the show know quite well that his path is not one to pursue. Still, it's not hard to admire the way he does it all.

Group C-30
Akira Tokizawa Eden of the East
vs.
November 11, Darker Than BLACK

VOTING FOR: Akira Tokizawa
From what I see of his clips I guess November 11 makes being "bad" very cool- he can beat you in suave and smooth ways with his killer power. But really, what's so uncool about being a good guy? I'm voting for Akira because he makes being such a nice and good guy very cool- it's such a harder task. He tricks and counters others plans so thoroughly from the seat of his pants.... or maybe, from the seat of someone else's pants- it is shown that he can literally talk the pants off of a complete stranger in the dead of a DC winter. Although, his position wasn't all his doing either- he was given his fortune, if he hadn't been he might have stayed a goofy part-timer the rest of his life- a hard-worker and a nice guy but never a world power. Then again- spoiler[he doesn't have any money at the end of Paradise Lost and manages to track Mr. Outside down], it shows he learned from his experience,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Yes, she's intelligent and cunning and full of attitude, but it's such a privileged position. So much of what supposedly makes her cool (power, position, superiority complex) was given to her by birthright.

I recall it being explained in the series that those born into high standing in Abh society can be removed from their station if they fail to perform. At the least, the emperor/empress is not appointed directly, but chosen from several candidates of noble lineage based on merit. The Abh value talent more greatly than pedigree, although due to Abh reproduction methods, pedigree is justifiably important as well.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Group C-29
vs.

I like Spoor's character a whole lot more, but the complexities and badassness of The Count's evil vengeful plans can't be ignored. I particularly like the cruel ways in which The Count enacts his final revenge on each of his three main targets, as evidenced in this round's clip. Plus he's always like... 20 steps ahead of everyone. He understands it all, and his enemies fall perfectly into his traps.

Group C-30
vs.

Neither is a serious contender after this round. I guess I'll pick Takizawa. As others have already said he just projects loads of charisma that can't be matched. Not much of a badass, till perhaps the end of the series, but always comforting others and anxious to help those in need.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Group C-29
vs.

Voting for: The Count

As much as I continue to like Spoor and appreciate her personality quirks, it is extremely hard to argue she is the Count's equal or superior in terms of sheer presence, intelligence, the ability to intimidate or manipulate others and generally do all of the above with plenty of style. She's far from a bad choice in any of those categories but just happens to be outmatched here.

Group C-30
vs.

Voting for: Akira Tokizawa

Neither of these two characters would be my personal pick, in all honesty, but considering there are no other alternatives...I suppose Akira is the one that bothers me the least. Why? As others have previously stated, he is less arrogant and his charisma allows him to get away with quite a number of things. I can respect that much. So far, so good. November 11 has more impressive physical skills, no doubt, but there are many other characters who can essentially match him in that category without being relatively uninteresting or uninspiring at the same time.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Group C-29
vs.

After all this time, I am now intrigued by Spoor. Her personality makes her an interest character along with her mastery of strategy and tactics.

My vote goes to: Letopanyu Spoor.

Group C-30
vs.

Cool versus cool and naked versus naked makes this a very interesting match indeed. It almost makes me not want to vote. When you see the one that can drop down their pants to a police officer and is let go, my choice is clear.

My vote goes to: Akira Tokizawa.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I meant to vote back on Friday and just realized that I never got around to it.

Group C-29
vs.

The Count, for the reasons stated in my last post.

Group C-30
vs.

A much trickier choice, as I think both are worthy to advance. However, I am going to give the slight edge to the more modern cool of Akira over the more classic cool of November 11. Although Akira does have a couple of big "cool" moments in his favor (the pants scene, and the scene in this clip involving the kiss), his is, overall, a more subtle cool, one that gradually works on viewers through a combination of personal charm, conviction, and bold and creative action; the scene in the final episode where he spoiler[convinces people who have every reason to hate him to help him quickly come up with a solution to stopping the missiles] is a great example of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group C is now closed.

With a return to a slightly more respectable 18 votes, the results:

C-29: After a slow start, The Count out-schemes Spoor 15-3.
C-30: Akira Tokizawa defeats November 11, 12-6.

C-30 was close most of the way, with Akira really only pulling away at the end. (He took the final 6-7 votes.) Even so, Akira winning so cleanly is a minor surprise, though the Count also advancing on handily wasn't.

Next Group will be up within a few minutes, if not already by the time you see this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Group D is now closed.

Results can be found here.

This is the last week with single groups; next time we go to doubling-up, as per norm. It could also be fun, as we get to see if Alucard has enough stuff to give Spike a good challenge and whether or not Motoko can take out another difficult challenger in Kamina. Let the game continue!

Group D-29
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Alucard, Hellsing franchise

Group D-30
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Last edited by Key on Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Alucard, Hellsing franchise
Pick: Why are you doing this to me.... It's not even the semifinals and (in my opinion) the two coolest characters in existence have to go against each other? AGH!!!! I decided to flip a coin, but my sister walked by and grabbed it out of the air... This is the hardest decision for me so far. So my vote goes to Spike Spiegel, just because. They are both classic cool, but whereas Alucard has a huge advantage of spoiler[ being the reincarnation of Dracula and can regenerate], Spike although human is far from ordinary, and his mastery of martial arts and gunmanship came from extraordinary training.

Group D-30
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
Pick:Kamina
Y'know, I was planning on voting for Motoko in this round originally. I voted for her last round, and watching the clip of her inspired me to watch the Gits movie, even though I'd never seen any of the franchise before. The movie was awesome, even better than I expected, but the character of Matoko was actually a little disappointing... I realize I've only seen a single movie, and I have to admit when she spoiler[took on that spider tank all by herself and literally ripped herself into pieces trying to beat it, that was one of the most awesome things I've seen.] But what made her lose a ton of coolness was in the end when spoiler[she merged with the Puppet Master. To me, it seemed like she was using that as an avenue of escape, to run away from her existential fears. It gave me the impression that she was too weak to handle her self-doubt] I've always admired Kamina's style, but I'm going to keep an eye on the arguments for Motoko, and if there are any really good ones I might switch my vote.[/quote]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even so, Akira winning so cleanly is a minor surprise, though the Count also advancing on handily wasn't.

Minigame predictions:
9 for Akira Takizawa
0 for November 11

Results. We're down to 6 people still in the running for prizes, and Olliff could still be defeated in a late game upset.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29: Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop

Ok, so I'm not super familiar with Alucard, but it's honestly hard to vote against someone who takes down all the bad guys on a plane when he's just waking up. Also, I just got the Hellsing TV set and don't want to spoil anything. I appreciate how Spike is cool, but it really just chill about it. Kinda like how juggling 4 balls is just totally normal for me but it might impress someone else.

Group D-30: Kamina, Gurren Lagann

An easy one for me, simply because The Major never really impressed me. In fact, she rather offended me by dressing like a cybernetic hooker. But with Kamina, I felt that he was significantly more badass then everyone else around him, not of equal skill to those around him but who just happens to lack a Y chromosome like Kusunagi. Not to mention that he's cool at all times, the spoiler a few posts above rather makes me just lose more respect (what little I had) for Kusunagi. But Kamina is something special, he inspires an entire planet with his gung-ho attitude. He didn't just steal a mecha, he inspired others to steal their own mecha from an enemy that humanity was hiding underground form. In addition to how badass stealing the mecha was (even if he can't use a gun quite right), inspiration just adds another element of cool that Kusunagi was lacking for me.
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Kamina shutting out the major is the opposite of what I expected. Is there going to be a resurgence of support for bold and brazen characters over calmly confident characters. These characters also span the opposite spectrums of deep, analytical thinker complex characters versus straight forward, but good intentioned characters who value brawn courage and bravado over brain. In a way, the match against Kamina and Motoko would be a bit like which Star Trek captain is cooler Kirk or Piccard. They both approach cool in a different way and they both have a tremendous amount of fan support. Then again, I may just be underestimating the value of being an inspirational force has on shaping the perceptions of what people consider is cool. I don't consider this tournament to be a failure in terms of topics. It's just a step in a different direction that we usually take, and the results are mixed, both good and bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 53