• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files to Prevent Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Licensing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
really 4kids really??? You just need to die already but this is just sad.. let some else handle it for once. Now I do feel sorry those that did loose their jobs in this "fiasco"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The nice thing about having no interest in Yu Gi Oh is that it spares one from this kind of rigmarole. It's maddening for the fans I imagine.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
And here I was wondering how much messier this thing can get.
I can't see anybody wanting to touch Yu-Gi-Oh after this anyways.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay...filing a lawsuit to keep companies from licensing an anime just so THEY can have it for themselves!? That's going a bit too far in my opinion. There's such thing as "sharing", 4Kids!!! This is why you're failing so hard! You're too selfish when it comes to the shows you want to license!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I can't see anybody wanting to touch Yu-Gi-Oh after this anyways.

You'd be surprised. 5D's was rather successful in a decent plot, at least compared to GX and all the filler that occurred in the original Duel Monsters. Whether or not ZEXAL is just as successful remains to be seen. Not to mention that the franchise as a whole is still rather popular here. Sure it's hard to find the stuff in the store, but the fact that it's still being made as possibly the 2nd or 3rd largest and popular trading/competitive card game is big.

On another note, 4Kids is just being dumb at this point.
Quote:
n its motion, 4Kids complained that ADK will promote Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, the fourth television anime in the franchise, at the Licensing International Expo in June, and declared that this would cause irreparable harm should TV Tokyo and NAS grant North American Yu-Gi-Oh! licenses previously held by them to new companies.

From this quote, all I can say to 4Kids is that's not TV Tokyo's and NAS's problem. It's 4Kids' problem and 4Kids' problem alone for not just butchering anime, but abusing the privileges they had when owning the licenses.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weasels

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Okay...filing a lawsuit to keep companies from licensing an anime just so THEY can have it for themselves!?

Seems like they're trying to take the anime down with them since they're PO'd about the real owners finding out about them not paying what they owe.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Why do they even try? WHY?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Weasels wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Okay...filing a lawsuit to keep companies from licensing an anime just so THEY can have it for themselves!?

Seems like they're trying to take the anime down with them since they're PO'd about the real owners finding out about them not paying what they owe.

Sounds a lot like Harmony Gold doesn't it.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
part of me feels truly sorry for those who will lose their jobs from this shit stick that 4kids decided to jam into their already dead carcase yet the other part of me just wishes they would just give it up already and stick a fork in their hides already
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, the fourth television anime in the franchise

Shouldn't that be 5th? Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Monsters, GX, 5Ds, and Zexal? Or is the original not part of the "franchise"?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Poor season zero. The best of the Yugioh! franchise is oft-forgotten in North America Sad
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Okay...filing a lawsuit to keep companies from licensing an anime just so THEY can have it for themselves!? That's going a bit too far in my opinion. There's such thing as "sharing", 4Kids!!! This is why you're failing so hard! You're too selfish when it comes to the shows you want to license!

Well think about it this way, what if VIZ Media had gotten Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood instead of FUNimation Entertainment. It would be odd since FUNi had the old series, so it's established they should get stuff related to the franchise.

Anyway, 4Kids, your determination is surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
This is just insane. TVT is taking this way too far, over such a minute amount compared to them. It isn't even like 4kids owes them the most money, they owe the Pokemon people a bit more ...

While 4kids has complete right to do that, and will 85% get it, that just hurts the fans more (those who want to watch in their own language). Konami, step in and pay 4kids off or something. Seems their is also a statue of limitations involved of 6 years. I wonder if that might be the turning point in 4kids winning this, if true.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, the fourth television anime in the franchise

Shouldn't that be 5th? Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Monsters, GX, 5Ds, and Zexal? Or is the original not part of the "franchise"?

i dont think it usually is. the 1st Yu-gi-oh series was by a different company and didn't have the ulterior motive of selling toys to kids (well...they were alot more subtle about it anyway)

i usually think of that old 1st series as its own separate entity from the other series just because of those 2 reasons
jlaking

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I am guessing that 4kids' has first refusal rights to all Yu-Gi-Oh series; if that is true, both NAS and TV Tokyo are in the wrong here until the license expires or is pulled from 4kids'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5