• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds GTO Prequel, Sequel Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
this will make my boyfriend happy we were just talking about the GTO series the other day
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, really been wanting to read Shonan 14 Days.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. God.

Vertical is so awesome. It's sad that they didn't license the original GTO, but that's pretty much a given in the future. It's out of print, and I'm personally dying to own a deluxe edition of it.

All I need now is Narutaru rescued... *cough* But Dark Horse probably still owns the rights to it.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
As someone who owns like 14 volumes of the GTO manga and lamented that, by the time I got money to buy the rest, it was out of print, I would love to see Vertical pick that up, especially since they'd probably do a full re-translation.

I mean, I still remember how hard I laughed at how Urumi had to stay with those nerd guys during the beach trip, and they were all awestruck at how their hotel room was "0080" ("It's just like War in the Pocket! And she's blond, like Sayla Mass!").

I only have the first volume of Tokyopop's "GTO: The Early Years", but I'd be open to getting more. I'll have to take another look at it when Vertical starts releasing it.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting. I'm currently reading through Shonan Junai Gumi right now, so it's good to know I can continue the story once I get to the end of the Tokyopop releases. I wonder if they'll keep it in the original format or release it in the larger volumes like TP did...

Definitely looking forward to Shonan 14 Days as well!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Cool to see GTO coming back, even if it's the "bookends". I would guess that if these two titles do well then there might also be a chance at getting Bad Company, the prequel to Shonan Junai Gumi that Fujisawa made in 1997. I don't know if Bad Company will be included as a part of SJG, but if we're getting these two, with GTO itself being very possible as well, then why not go for Bad Company as well while they're at it...

Surprising but excellent news, Vertical. Maybe I'll finally buy GTO this time around.
Goggen

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hell YES!!!
stupefyyy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
its supercool series . i love it
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME!
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there will be any more Tokyopop rescues from Vertical. I was happy, but surprised to read this. I would LOVE for someone to save Beck, but it's probably not as popular as GTO.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I have all of Shonan Gumi that TP released (they were the deluxe versions released in Japan which put the original 31 volumes into 15 larger books). Hopefully Vertical has this version and will finish it. I'll definately pick up the last 5, and if I hear that the quality is greatly improved in some way, re-buy the first 10 if I like the series.

I'm definately excited about 14 Days as well and look forward to picking that up. Good job Vertical!
sonryu

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with any of Vertical's releases, and I don't know how they handle translations (do they edit, westernize, and make things kid friendly like Viz often does, do they butcher like CMX did, or are they faithful like Dark Horse?). As long as they're a good company in their handling of manga, then I'll be supportive of their GTO licensing. I am of course sad that Tokyo Pop is gone, especially since I was buying "GTO The Early Years". I don't really want to rebuy the first 10 volumes; I wonder if Vertical would honor some sort of trade in offer lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
I'm not familiar with any of Vertical's releases, and I don't know how they handle translations (do they edit, westernize, and make things kid friendly like Viz often does, do they butcher like CMX did, or are they faithful like Dark Horse?). As long as they're a good company in their handling of manga, then I'll be supportive of their GTO licensing. I am of course sad that Tokyo Pop is gone, especially since I was buying "GTO The Early Years". I don't really want to rebuy the first 10 volumes; I wonder if Vertical would honor some sort of trade in offer lol

I've been relatively pleased with their release of Twin Spica. They could've made better choices with the fonts and their translation was a little westernized at the beginning (like when Kei calls Marika [an ojou-sama character] "HRH", which wasn't really explained but it clearly meant "Her Royal Highness"), but they've really righted the ship in the later chapters. They are fast with their releases as well, which is always a PLUS.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
YES!!!!!

Actually Shonan Junai-gumi is not a prequel to GTO Great Teacher Onizuka. It is the original series GTO was the sequel to Shonan Junai-gumi.

I'm very excited.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:

All I need now is Narutaru rescued... *cough* But Dark Horse probably still owns the rights to it.

Licenses expire eventually. Dark Horse hasn't touched the series in, what, 8+ years?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2