• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Online JManga Service Invites N. American Beta Testers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamanashi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this succeeds, but I get the feeling there will be tons of people who will do the same thing they are doing with fansubs and claim it is a good enough translation because Naruto won't be cussing more than Hollywood Undead does in their music.

Oh well, I have given up on trying to argue with people like that.
Akukame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it really comes down to the pricing model. I'd really like to see a subscription based model. I've be willing to pay $8/month like a crunchyroll/netflix/hulu subscription in order to view manga online.

I think success also may come down to how well it runs on mobile devices, or if they can get out a mobile client. I think that a lot of manga is being read on mobile devices these days and theres a lot of money to be had in android/iPad.
Jikkle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
I think it could be really successful if it's done correctly.

They need to follow a Crunchyroll like model for it to work in that they need extremely quick and HQ releases and a all you can read monthly pricing model.

Also I agree having a mobile APP would be huge in attracting people to the service.

It's not going to eliminate fanscans or piracy but I think there is a serious market there and making some money is better than making no money.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
It's a good idea and all, but seems bound to fail to put scanlations to rest for two reasons:
1) Because there's way more manga out there released on a weekly basis than they'll be able to put out with a single team, and manga that'd most likely never get picked up for translation simply because no one's heard of them outside Japan.

Why would JManga pick up a series and pay all the licensing fess when they have no idea if it'll actually be successful? Especially for a struggling niche market. Crunchyroll has been good at streaming 90% of the new anime series that air each season, but I don't think that'll be possible with manga because there are 100's of series released every week. So I'm guessing only the most popular of the series will be on the site, with little to no risks of legally picking up the small, "out-there"-type series that make us love manga in the first place.

And, in the meantime, the scanlators will still be doing what they are doing for the series that no legal translations exist.

2) Simply because manga, like any book, is best enjoyed away from the computer.

If you have to be online using whatever web-based reader they use in order to read the manga, it takes half the point away since you won't be able to enjoy reading it in most places. (on the bus, in the car, etc.)

Having some kind of app for smartphones might help a little, but only if the user has a mobile data plan. For those who rely on Wi-fi, an app would basically be useless.

For this reason, I can picture people finding ways to rip and release the manga from JManga as downloadable zip files unless the people behind JManga figure out someway to allow users to legally read it offline.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
I think it really comes down to the pricing model. I'd really like to see a subscription based model. I've be willing to pay $8/month like a crunchyroll/netflix/hulu subscription in order to view manga online.

I think success also may come down to how well it runs on mobile devices, or if they can get out a mobile client. I think that a lot of manga is being read on mobile devices these days and theres a lot of money to be had in android/iPad.

VIZ's Ipad app sells hundreds of volumes of all their current licenses for 4.99 to 5.99 each at the moment actually http://www.viz.com
Yen press also has http://www.yenpress.com/yenplus/

It sounds like they're using a model similar to DMP's Emanga w/you purchasing points and volumes set at a certain amount of points.... I wonder if it'll have a rental aspect too? Checking older articles reminded me that it looks like this is also a marketplace VIZ and some smaller manga pubs have signed onto, with them using domestic publisher's content and a lot existing translated works.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Jikkle wrote:

It's not going to eliminate fanscans or piracy but I think there is a serious market there and making some money is better than making no money.

Not always. Making no money is better than losing money, if it costs them more to run the operation than enough money coming in.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I really only see this site pandering to the mainstream manga community: One Piece, Naruto, etc. Anything even remotely off the mainstream won't be covered, so I don't really see a reason for such a service to even exist if it's only going to take care of a "few" series (in comparison to the hundreds of other less popular series).

Maybe they're expecting that after the service gets some notice that they'll be able to get more niche series, but they're still going to be the top 10% in terms of popularity.

The main reason I feel something like this can't work is mainly manpower and time. Even if you can do the translation quickly, doing a quality job in editing and typesetting is very time consuming, and unless you have a veritable army available working on a bunch of series, then there's no way they can compete with scanlators who are doing it for free and out of the love of the community. Crunchyroll works because all they're doing (pretty much) is translation and timing. Editing and redrawing pages in manga not only takes time, but skill, something a service like this will surely be lacking in bulk.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
First legal streaming of Anime episodes, and now manga? About time! I am looking forward to seeing how this site will become and if it will help curb the illegal scanlations online.

Last edited by Rukiia on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this succeeds. We don't know much about it right now, but I hope it works like Crunchyroll and "simulcasts" manga. I'll be behind it every step of the way, if so.

Like kamanashi, I fear that the fanbase is just too hard to please. The anime fanbase is already bad enough, I have a feeling that the manga fanbase is even worse (if that's even possible). Like people who won't purchase a single volume of VIZ's One Piece translations solely because Zoro is spelled with an "l" instead of an "r". I know how annoying that is, liking One Piece myself, but that is just far too picky.

You also consider that if even if they do "simulcast" manga, the Jump issues get leaked early and the SJ crowd is likely to not care about a simulcast that delivers 4/5 days after. =/

I will care, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1