• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk's Golden Age Arc to Be Made Into 3 Anime Films

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
Now that's more like it. They just need to not be squeamish on the graphic content, get Susumu Hirasawa to keep doing the music, and the franchise will surely create its own "golden age" in the anime medium.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Based Miura-sensei.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
Well I'm wondering how long the movies will be, at least 2 hours it should have.
branko7171

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote
@Tony K.: I agree. Wouldn't be the same without Susumu Hirasawa.
Even though it says Golden Age Arc, I would still like for them to include the chapters before Golden Age Arc into the first movie.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
Pass. I've seen the Golden Age arc twice already. I've read it four times.

Give me something new. Like what happens AFTER the Golden Age. That is the good stuff.

Hell, most people who have only seen the anime don't even know why the show is named Berserk. That is what these movies should be about!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
branko7171 wrote:

Even though it says Golden Age Arc, I would still like for them to include the chapters before Golden Age Arc into the first movie.

What I would much, much, MUCH rather have is for a new Berserk anime to not cover the Golden Age arc at all and instead give all Berserk anime fans what they've been hoping for all these years by showing what happens after that extended flashback. They couldn't do what was covered in that PS2 game which was supposed to get an English release but never did? I was hoping we would finally see the Berserker Armor and the Skull Knight in animated form.

Of course, I know why they can't do this. It's because aside from that arc, pretty much nothing to speak of has been adequately resolved such that there are no viable stopping points at which to end movies on. Why Miura does this is beyond me, but I guess Idolmaster doesn't play itself...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Agree with AWO's point about wishing to see new stuff versus a remake. Personally, I don't care if the other arcs don't have any convenient stopping points. Shigurui: Death Frenzy didn't have a conclusion either and may never get a second series, but I'm still glad I saw what I did, end or no end.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'd rather have a fresh new reboot than a "sequal" that ends up having continuity errors.

And we saw the Skull Knight in the teasers, and if this series follows the Golden Age "correctly" he should be appearing in it too.

I wonder if they're just doing the story in chronological order, and we'll be seeing the Black Swordsmen arc appear in the 4th movie (they're going to have to in order to introduce Puck...)

Of course, I'm also pretty sure the clip of Gatts holding the Behelit in the teasers was taken from the Black Swordsmen arc, but that could've just been for promotional purposes along with the "Hill of Swords" shot of Griffith. You never know...

Also I want :

-killer swami assassins

-the old king of Midland story

-the Wyld fight

-an animated version of the Eclipse that doesn't end in an enormous plot hole.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
But aren't these 3 films, just going to be on the Golden Age Arc?

That doesn't mean there won't be more films, correct? I'm sure this statement is just the first of many films (or maybe series) to come in the future. There could very well be more films and/or series that goes into the Black Swordsman/Retribution Arc and then go into the material of the Hawk of Millennium Arc and even into the new Fantasia Arc eventually. With Miura's pace, it will take another 15-20 years for these, but hopefully he'll make it. Granted, I think most of is till be 40 or 50 by the time, but hey, it's still Berserk right and we're all grateful and die-hard fans.

I still can't believe it's been almost 15 years since the anime has stopped and to everyone's delight, Miura has graced us with a new anime project on what could possibly be, the best anime/manga franchise ever. Regardless of what is released, I'm very happy and very eager to see the new films. Hopefully someone in North America picks up the license and is able to release them quickly.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:

That doesn't mean there won't be more films, correct? I'm sure this statement is just the first of many films (or maybe series) to come in the future.

Correct, this entire project will last a decade.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news! The Berserk tv series was good but far from the awesomeness of the manga. I'm so stoked for this!
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:

That doesn't mean there won't be more films, correct? I'm sure this statement is just the first of many films (or maybe series) to come in the future.

Correct, this entire project will last a decade.

Only a decade huh? I think you're being too optimistic Cool
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
So instead of the 1997 25-episode manga commercial, we get a 3-movie manga commercial with more or less the same content? Forget that.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
What I would much, much, MUCH rather have is for a new Berserk anime to not cover the Golden Age arc at all and instead give all Berserk anime fans what they've been hoping for all these years by showing what happens after that extended flashback.

As much as I like the Berserk anime, I always thought that the series could have been much better. Especially the action scenes. By making a sequel, you'd force a whole new generation of potential fans to either watch a 25-episode 90's TV show (something many aren't willing to do), read the manga until a specific point, or not understand what is going on in the story.

The Remake of Eva movies prove how financially rewarding this project can be. Berserk has the chance of becoming even more mainstream and lucrative that it already is.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
What I would much, much, MUCH rather have is for a new Berserk anime to not cover the Golden Age arc at all and instead give all Berserk anime fans what they've been hoping for all these years by showing what happens after that extended flashback.

As much as I like the Berserk anime, I always thought that the series could have been much better. Especially the action scenes. By making a sequel, you'd force a whole new generation of potential fans to either watch a 25-episode 90's TV show (something many aren't willing to do), read the manga until a specific point, or not understand what is going on in the story.

Yah. It's been over a decade since the previous anime series aired, expecting everyone to already be familiar with it or the original manga is probably a mistake.

By starting with the Golden age and moving forward, new fans will be able to have an idea what is going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3