• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bleach and/or naruto manga worth to read?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devilzzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Hello. Recently I've been starting to read manga, but because I really dislike reading them by looking at a computer screen, I buy them. SO, I'm just wondering if Bleach and/or Naruto manga are worth to buy to read? What do people mean by manga is better than anime (apart from anime having fillers)?

I've watched Naruto and a bit of Naruto Shippuden, and I quite liked the Chunin exams part. But I disliked it when the story changed to naruto-getting-sasuke-back. That said, I only watched first 40 or so episodes of Naruto Shippuden. Does the storyline keep at that or are there more... interesting plots?

I've also watched the Bleach anime till episode 300 or so. Any difference between anime and manga other than the longlong fillers?

Really appreciate your thoughts/comments (:
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
I personally stopped having an interest in Bleach after the soul society/save Rukia arc. I'm still slowly collecting the manga, but it's more out of habit than interest.

Naruto I continue to buy, but it like most any other manga has it's slow/low moments. I'm guessing episode 40 or so meant Sakura vs Sasori, and yeah, the manga is much better in terms of pacing, and the giant amounts of filler the anime puts into the show. The Akatsuki battles and character interactions are great, but Naruto does continue to try and get Sasuke back. Though at some point that sort of changes, but if you really dislike Sasuke and his back story with his brother then I don't know if the manga will continue to hold your interest. That's not saying there aren't non-Sasuke related arcs, and when those happen, especially concerning Naruto's parents, I enjoyed the manga as much as I did with the first half.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read Naruto, but if you've seen the first 300 episodes of Bleach, there's no reason to go back and read the corresponding manga for those events. I'm not just saying don't buy it, I'm saying don't even read it. The only difference I remember is that there was a very brief seen after the first battle with the Fisher King hollow that foreshadowed the existence of the arrancar, but it's maybe 4 pages, and it doesn't add anything if you've already seen the Hueco Mundo arc.

Now, if you really love Bleach and want to own the manga, it's not worse than the anime, and cutting out the recaps and filler parts does streamline the story a bit, but it's not going to provide any new insights you couldn't have picked up from the anime.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Both titles stick to the manga pretty closely, so there's no need to both watch the anime and read the manga unless you really want to. I buy the Bleach manga because I enjoy Kubo's art style, and the twists seem to have more impact in print, but story-wise the anime is almost panel-for-panel like the manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Two major questions:

1. Do you have access to a public, free library that distributes manga? (You can probably do a search on your library system's website to find out).

2. How much do you like fanfiction/fandoms in general?

I've read most of Naruto through my library, and I like it well enough, but what's been keeping me reading is the fan community and a few awesome fanfictions (notably crossovers, "Team 8', a few romances, and humor fics) which I wouldn't "get" if I didn't continue reading the story. I haven't seen any of the movies and have skipped a few whole arcs that didn't interest me much.

If I didn't enjoy the large, multi-faceted Naruto fan community, I probably would not have read as much of it as I have, as there are only a few characters, plot points and arcs that I find interesting from the original manga.

As for Bleach: There are two or three very interesting characters whose arcs I long to see resolved, and other than that, it's lost its appeal to me a long, long time ago.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Kekkaishi are two shonen manga titles that I read because I really love the plot developments and characters overall, and I recommend those two over Bleach and Naruto. Both are complete in Japan and nearly complete in the US, and Fullmetal Alchemist has two excellent (and very different) anime adaptations available in English, too. (Unfortunately, I found the Kekkaishi anime to be sub-par when compared to the manga).

Have fun with your manga reading and remember that you only have to read titles (and even parts of titles) that you like! Unless you're writing a thesis on "Graphic Novels in Japanese Pop Culture," you aren't obligated to read any title you don't enjoy! Very Happy
Ness_Success

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Imo anime is actually better than the manga. I do both of course (for Naruto, One Piece, and did for KHR until the anime stopped :[ ).

Aside from the filler, the anime has music, that will make an action scene cooler, and an emotional scene sadder. And sometimes action can be hard to follow in a manga, but when its animated its clear to see. Also filler is not always bad. And sometimes they add little things in the anime that just make certain parts cooler in the anime....for example, spoiler[Danzos flashback after he died, in the anime they added the little symbolic scene of Danzo chasing after Hiruzen as kids.]

But yes I think Naruto is definitely worth it. The entire part 1 you would love. Unfortunately if you don't like the Naruto chasing after Sasuke thing, there will be times when you won't like part II. But although that is what the main story line is, there are amazing arcs that have nothing to do with Sasuke. For example, the Hidan & Kakuzu arc, and the Pain arc. The rescue kazekage arc is excellent to, although thats an arc that might be better to read than watch.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
I too would recommend checking out the volumes from your local library. You can also look into inter-library loan if your library does not have a series or volume available. Also Viz is releasing 3 in 1 manga for Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and Kekkaishi, if you actually have the patience for a bargain.

I do not like the pacing the production company decided to do for Naruto Shippuden. Sometimes there are 3 to 4 episodes for every volume of manga, instead of the standard 1 or 2 episodes. I tend to watch 7 - 10 episodes of the anime at once. I think you would really like the Shippuden story more than Bleach. Naruto introduces more characters and gives them better character development with exciting emotional story arcs.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
I was actually genuinely curious how they decide that pacing anyways. I would have figured that for a series like Shippuden a chapter should have equaled an episode, but that's of course not necessarily the case. Was the volume to episode equation actually accurate?
thatgr33kguy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Naruto: You NEED to read everything, and maybe even go back a bit because everything stacks and depends on the rest of the things. IT does get a little repetitive after a while, Naruto fights someone, he wins with a new skill. Also, the whole friendship and brother thing, is a bit too dramatic even for this anime/manga.

Bleach: The anime is a bit behind, but is still worth watching because it is exciting. The manga however, i find it really infuriating that they had to go on and make some new group with powers for Ichigo to get his powers back.[/spoiler]Also, it should've ended after Aizen arc, seeing as he was supposedly the most powerful being since he was fused with the (I forgot the name) Hokyko or something.[/spoiler][/b]
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
@Thatgr33kguy: "Dramatic" isn't the right word to describe Naruto's obsession with Sasuke and his perception of Sasuke as a brother that he must save no matter what.

No, I think the right words would be "poorly characterized and executed" or perhaps "straining credibility." Razz

Naruto, as a manga, has its good points with characterization and plotting. Naruto's character's obsession with Sasuke was never well done, IMHO.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know that it was poorly done so much, but I guess I never thought of it in a poor light because I was rather forgiving of certain aspects of Naruto because they're so common among countless different Shonen manga series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
I feel that Naruto and Sasuke didn't spend enough time together in Part 1 to justify the extent of Naruto's (and worse, Sakura's) obsession, especially after the evidence mounted that Sasuke was up to no good.

I understand that it's a common shonen trope, and that merely being on the same team, if only for a few months, was supposed to be representative of the character's brotherly bond.

But basically it comes down to a few months of a barely-reciprocated friendship and a couple of life-and-death situations that built the bond, versus betrayal, three years without contact, and repeated reports of traitorous behavior on Sasuke's part to break it.

Naruto and Sakura's obsession with Sasuke seems delusional at this point.

One can argue that Naruto is delusional due to his naivety and overly-optimistic nature, coupled with the fact that before he graduated from the Academy he had very few friends, and Sasuke was one of the first of his peers that he considered a close friend. That's the only argument, really. That and Kishimoto is much better at his craft now than when he wrote part 1, and if he were to rewrite Naruto, the bond between Naruto and Sasuke would be well developed and believable rather than requiring a suspension of disbelief on the reader's part.
Ness_Success

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I see exactly what you mean, but for some reason I see the bond that Kishimoto wants us to see. But I definitely agree that if he were to go back, he would build their bond even more. But I still see Naruto and Sasuke as having an extremely close bond.
ryan.rp123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
i personally hate them both and would never buy them, but if you want to know if there worth it download a few volumes and then see
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
ryan.rp123 wrote:
i personally hate them both and would never buy them, but if you want to know if there worth it download a few volumes and then see
Don't you love when people hate something because it's popular?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4