• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mastering the Universe with Clarine and Matt

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Was not expecting this up on a Thursday.

I think most of this went over my head, as before this I knew zilch about video encoding or anything of the like. I'll probably give the podcast a re-listen and see if I can absorb any more of the information, but from what I gathered it seemed really interesting.

Scorpions?! Oh dear god. Well at least I can bring this up whenever I get into an argument about Funimation with people "They battle Scorpions to bring your anime to you."

So that's what exactly an upscale is. Huh, the rage I've seen seems more then slightly disproportionate in retrospect. (And I mean that even given the context of anime fans.)

I do not believe I'll be buying the new re-master of DBZ, I'm not a videophile, and I honestly don't care about most of the minutia in the picture quality. I'm fine with my Orange Boxes and Kai collections.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice to have Justin get in on the shop talk. Given the topic, I was hoping he would be involved.

I'm really glad to hear that FUNi is aware of the issue some viewers have with its sub style and is reviewing its practices. Given that FUNi seems to hold the largest market share of North American anime BDs, this is a huge relief. Now if only we could get Disney to do the same with it's Ghibli subs. Smile

Seriously, I am one happy, happy camper right now. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll never be visiting Texas it seems.

As for the DBZ Blu-Ray.. I probably won't get it since I like Kai so much, but if I do I might just get some of the filler stuff (Garlic Jr) or the Buu Saga.. but not the whole thing.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
About 2 or so weeks ago a few friends and I were watching a movie in the dark. My friend looks over his shoulder and sees a scorpion. It crawled away into the sofa and it took us 20 or so min to find it and kill it.

Oh the joys living in a desert. lol
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
the remaster's lookin' HOT...

I kinda wish I was a DBZ fan by this point. I'd buy those blu-rays in a heart beat.

And scorpions... dear lord if that were me, I'd never set foot in that office again until an exterminator got rid of them. You guys are BRAVE.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I personally have zero interest in DBZ at all, but that's a great looking Blu-ray remaster.

Especially compared to that awful looking Orange Box release, jesus. What were they thinking with the hideous DNR on that one?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

I'm really glad to hear that FUNi is aware of the issue some viewers have with its sub style and is reviewing its practices. Given that FUNi seems to hold the largest market share of North American anime BDs, this is a huge relief. Now if only we could get Disney to do the same with it's Ghibli subs. Smile

If you think Funi has issues you should see some of the Hollywood BD's I've seen with subs on. One of the first BD's I watched the subs were all over the place and with some scenes I can barely watch the subs because the outline were not dark enough for the sub text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Another good podcast. Admittedly, it was more tech-oriented than usual, but I think I learned a little bit. Smile

Too bad I didn't see the call for questions on Twitter this week, because I would have actually submitted a question. I'm actually rather curious as to how they decide how many episodes go on each disc in a box set. The Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z sets have me a little mystified on this point. I get the idea that they're trying to include roughly the same amount of episodes in each set, but the break out of the episodes on the discs is just puzzling.

As an example, I pulled out my copy of the Dragon Ball Season Five DVD box set. It has five discs, with the following breakdown of episodes: 7, 7, 7, 7, 3. Admittedly, the final disc has the bonus features, but couldn't the sets have been broken up in a such a way where they weren't cramming a whole bunch on each one and then have three left over, especially since the only bonus features are a textless opening, a textless closing, and six trailers? I would have loved to have gotten an answer for that. Oh well.

And Zac, it sounded like you were having WAAAY too much fun with this week's disclaimer. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Soo.... will there be a big difference between Kai blurays and the original Z blurays?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

If you think Funi has issues you should see some of the Hollywood BD's I've seen with subs on. One of the first BD's I watched the subs were all over the place and with some scenes I can barely watch the subs because the outline were not dark enough for the sub text.

It's hard for me to do a direct comparison with just my PS3, but I get the feeling the font styling that FUNi uses is more or less the same as on the BDs from the major studios (I tend to put subs up when I'm watching native English videos). My guess is that might be reason FUNi's subs look they way they do -- they're patterned after what the big boys are doing.

I think live action can get away with a bit more than most 2D animation due to a darker, more natural, varied pallet that invites contrast with the subs. But I would have to agree that, at least when set against a light-colored background like sand or the sky, Hollywood's subs fail in pretty much the same way.

Speaking of Hollywood, or at least allusions to famous movies, here's hoping that if FUNimation does implement a change, it does so before Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish enters production. That show is rife with pastels!

EDIT:
ljaesch wrote:
I'm actually rather curious as to how they decide how many episodes go on each disc in a box set.

[...]

As an example, I pulled out my copy of the Dragon Ball Season Five DVD box set. It has five discs, with the following breakdown of episodes: 7, 7, 7, 7, 3. Admittedly, the final disc has the bonus features, but couldn't the sets have been broken up in a such a way where they weren't cramming a whole bunch on each one and then have three left over, especially since the only bonus features are a textless opening, a textless closing, and six trailers? I would have loved to have gotten an answer for that. Oh well.

Just speculation from a layperson here, but that final disc might have only been a BD25 as opposed to BD50, which presumably has a higher production cost. I think S23 might have done something similar with it's Xam'd collections.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Who knew Zac was a fan of Double Rainbow?
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
And that is why the next time I move, it will be north, not south. I scream like a girl at spiders the size of a dime.

Honestly, I like the Blue-Ray subtitles. I've never had any problem with them, although the only Funimation Blue-rays I've really watched are Claymore and Chobits. I guess its not as much as the subtitles are good as they are so much better than the DVD subs, so I would ask that if they do mess with them, they don't change them too much.

Sometimes I think I would love to work in QC, but then I think of the poor soul that had to repeatedly watch things like Queen's Blade, and I realize its much easier to be a fan and bitch about things online.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
And Zac, it sounded like you were having WAAAY too much fun with this week's disclaimer. Smile

Yeah that last minute or so of the podcast... I'm glad I didn't miss it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Funny they should mention the ramifications of putting a Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne trailer on a disc for a rated PG-show. At Naka-Kon 2010 in Kansas City, MO, the convention ran into trouble with the hotel when a (front-loaded and not easily-skippable) Rin trailer played in a video room during the day on a disc for an otherwise-innocuous show. The wrong people overheard and complained to the hotel, and the convention wound up getting completely shut down early one night. Not that I'm blaming Funi for any of that; I never heard what disc the Mnemosyne trailer was on, so I'm guessing it was something PG-13 or mildly risque. And that's a pretty extreme and unusual outcome anyway.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
When Zac first mentioned the Dragonball comparisons, I thought that I was being trolled, assuming that they were going to show it on the podcast. That was until I found out it was pictures on the bottom of the page. I was a little embarrassed and naive of my initial thoughts. Sorry Zac!

That Being said, loved the disclaimer!

Last edited by Ted_the_bear2001 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4