• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dark Horse to Publish Manga Right-To-Left?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Jakala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:14 pm Reply with quote
In the article "Manga Sales Just Keep Rising" at Publishers Weekly, Dark Horse apparently says they will be printing all new manga series in the "authentic Japanese" format:
Dark Horse v-p of sales and marketing Michael Martens confirms the company's change to the right-to-left format, although series already started in the left-to-right format will stay that way.
Has anyone else heard this? This is pretty surprising, as I thought Dark Horse and/or Studio Proteus were pretty firm on continuing to "flip" their manga.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It will probaly be a mix of flipped and unflipped at first, but it dosen't supprise me. Besides unflipped manga being more popular now it is also faster and cheaper to get to market.
John Jakala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Since I first posted, someone pointed out to me on another board that - while Toren Smith & Studio Proteus are still adamantly opposed to the "quick and dirty" unflopped format - Dark Horse is partnering with Digital Media to do right-to-left translations of new manga series (such as BERSERK).

So old series (such as OH MY GODDESS!) will continue to be printed left-to-right but new series will be printed right-to-left. And Studio Proteus will be out of work once the old series finish their runs Wink
RX-7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:02 am Reply with quote
It all started with tokyopop
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:26 pm Reply with quote
well techincally there was the Collecters Eva manga's that were unflipped but they cost more then the flipped ones! (WTF was up with that?)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:46 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
well techincally there was the Collecters Eva manga's that were unflipped but they cost more then the flipped ones! (WTF was up with that?)

People are willing to plop done the cash for them, so the company asks what they know people will pay for them Anime smile Also I think there are extras in the collecter's version as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1