• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga #64 Sells 2 Million+ Copies in 3 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Never understood the appeal of the series but I don't care, it's always nice when something does well even if it's something I don't care about. Happy for the fans.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
What amuses me is that every time an article like this is posted about OP, it always has that small description at the end. Who doesn't know it by heart now? Laughing
robert851

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Never understood the appeal of the series but I don't care, it's always nice when something does well even if it's something I don't care about. Happy for the fans.

Why are you commenting on something you don't care about anyway? Just to say you're happy for the fans?
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It seems like you posted that out of spite. Rolling Eyes
Maybe if you read/watched it, you would understand the phenomenon and critical acclaim this series has gained.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm very happy to see that a One Piece volume was able to sell that many copies alone in 3 days.
But it's not really a surprise since it's been breaking records again and again for a long time.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
robert851 wrote:
Why are you commenting on something you don't care about anyway? Just to say you're happy for the fans?

Is that such a weird phenomenon to you? I don't care for OP, but it's always nice to see a manga sell a lot.
thewonderer2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I'm not by any means saying you have to think this, but a lot of people see it as the best manga of all time.

Why? Because very few manga can balance:

Humor
Happiness
Good Feeling
Action
Drama
Character Interaction and Development
Darkness
Powers
World
etc.

Not to say these aspects aren't done wonderful in a lot of other works, its just One Piece equally is excellent in all of these whereas most works focus on one of them. FMA is the only other right now on the top of my head that does it so masterfully as well, though that leans to the dark side too much in my opinion

Then, heres the major reason its so adored:

Its length

The fact that its SO long and its quality remains consistent baffles me. What an incredible writer Oda is
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Good to see a series doing so well right now, especially one I like as much as One Piece, keep the volumes coming Oda, and I'll keep on buying them.
Let's see, Viz is only 5 volumes behind, not that bad, 59 comes out in December, 60 January 3, and the new arc starts over-here on March 6 with volume 61. Can' t wait.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It's almost like the fans are getting to where they just want to see if they can top the previous benchmark for copies sold Smile Hey, whatever keeps more One Piece coming. When something is good like this, I'm in no hurry to see it end.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
Its success will only help the recovery of their economy. A couple days ago, the $60+ COD: Modern Warfare 3 sold 7 million copies in 1 day just for the US and UK alone. Hey, whatever helps the economy.
domokun1134

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
2 million copies in 3 days? That's amazing popularity. I want to get into One Piece because I've heard it's so awesome. I'm just a little intimidated by it's length. If I start from the beginning it'll take me years to get caught up. Smile
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
domokun1134 wrote:
I'm just a little intimidated by it's length. If I start from the beginning it'll take me years to get caught up. Smile

Not really. I know someone who started reading from the beginning and caught up to the current arc in 3 weeks.
But you don't have to rush through the volumes. Take it slowly. Read it at your own pace.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
domokun1134 wrote:
I'm just a little intimidated by it's length. If I start from the beginning it'll take me years to get caught up. Smile

Not really. I know someone who started reading from the beginning and caught up to the current arc in 3 weeks.
But you don't have to rush through the volumes. Take it slowly. Read it at your own pace.

Agreed. Some volumes are just so good and I wanna know what's gonna happen next that I'm through the whole thing in under an hour. Others might be at a more leisurely pace and take me an hour and a half to two hours. Catching up to 58 volumes (going by the American releases and ignoring scans) wouldn't really take very long at all. Even at 1 volume a day, that's only 2 months and you'll be all caught up.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
What this shows everyone is that with these phenomenal numbers in just a matter of days is this that, this particular anime is beloved by many people regardless of the length (number of episodes) or how many years it's been running. Facts and figures are right there in black and white and regardless of how the economy is fans will shell out the cash to purchase the things they truly want. How awesome is that.
NamiLuffy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
oh my! my favorite manga! is on the TOP! yeah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1