• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sales on the Upswing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that ADV doesn't start doing the same with all their other new releases like they did Gantz. Some people don't realize that even if it was 2 episodes and $11.99 (at BestBuy) you are still essentially paying the same if it were 4 episodes and $24.99. I suppose poeple care more about price than they do about content (which is why I never buy the cheapest thing, and the same goes with my car purchases, I won't go for the cheapest one, but maybe a couple levels up - Like a Ford Ranger Edge instead of a Ranger XL/XLT, because the Ranger Edge is cheaper overall than a XL/XLT with all the same options that is standard on the Edge).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is essentially the same cost per ep, but people are very fickle when it comes to DVD pricing. They are generally more apt to spend $20 a pop for a DVD, instead of spending $80 or $90 for a boxset, even though you will generally end up saving money by buying the box. David Williams was asked a question like that at the ADV panel at Kcon, about possibly releasing older series with tons of eps per disc. His response was that they would still have to spread the eps over a decent amount of discs, because most people would freak if they picked up a one or two DVD set that cost $90, but they wouldn't be so concerned if they paid $90 for 6 or 7 discs.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gantz is notable because ADV packaged it in a nonstandard format: two episodes per disc at $14.98 each.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MSRP for Gantz $17.99?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought there were reports just a few weeks ago of the anime/manga industry starting to enter a recession because of the overabundance of licensed titles, both good and bad. What happened to that?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I thought there were reports just a few weeks ago of the anime/manga industry starting to enter a recession because of the overabundance of licensed titles, both good and bad. What happened to that?

I believe that's more towards manga and how ADV's position.

As for GAntz being 17.99, it is. The 12 dollar gantz is a discounted price and you end up paying more, but most people always compare the discounted gantz price with the typical dvd price.

But a lot of online site, best buy and walmart are selling it for 12 while others are selling it for 18. So I'm guessing it's the estimated means that most people paid to get the title.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MSRP for Gantz $17.99?

Well... it's actually $17.98 Wink
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Well... it's actually $17.98 Wink

Close enough. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ADV claims that the episode ratio for Gantz had to do with licensing, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also felt there wasn't enough of an audience for the series to sell it at a better price. I mean, with the exception of a reviewer like Bamboo, how do you get people weened on Nadesico or SuperGals to be interested in a gorefest like Gantz?

Kazuki: I usually only go for boxsets in the $50-$60 range myself. If that means having to wait a few years for a price-drop, so be it. Maybe one day, Animeigo will do the same for UY, and CPM for Utena and Patlabor. And yes, I actually do buy those sample discs too, so keep 'em coming, company reps.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I mean, with the exception of a reviewer like Bamboo, how do you get people weened on Nadesico or SuperGals to be interested in a gorefest like Gantz?

Simple: Watch Texhnolyze. That's what I did. Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Kazuki: I usually only go for boxsets in the $50-$60 range myself. If that means having to wait a few years for a price-drop, so be it. Maybe one day, Animeigo will do the same for UY, and CPM for Utena and Patlabor. And yes, I actually do buy those sample discs too, so keep 'em coming, company reps.

I know what you mean. I went on a spending spree when Bandai came out with all of their cheap complete collections. I was speaking more about the casual fan or, at least, those that aren't quite up to the level most of us are. I remember when the Bebop box came out, (which I didn't get because I had other monetary priorities at the time) I had several friends who wanted and could easily afford it, but they found it easier to buy one dvd a month and stretch it out then to actually part with a larger chunk of money at one time.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
I look at the bigger picture, and I'd rather save money! But then I find myself paying for them individually, due to dvds being released that way. I usually don't want to wait a year or more for the box.

I'm not suprised about the rise in anime dvd sales, I've bought more this year than ever before. I've also watched the anime section at my local Best Buy grow by at least a third.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think adv is going for the spur of the moment purchaser with there gantz pricing. ie "ZOMG its only 12 bucks snatch" it works notice how alot of people pick thru the cheap dvd bins some store have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I think adv is going for the spur of the moment purchaser with there gantz pricing. ie "ZOMG its only 12 bucks snatch" it works notice how alot of people pick thru the cheap dvd bins some store have.

Perhaps, but, on the flip-side, they also know that people don't want to devote space for 13 discs for a 26 ep series.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
Aside from not having a choice in the matter anyway (I bet they wouldn't be doing this otherwise), it isn't a bad deal. While it's only two episodes a disc, it's cheap, meaning people can check out whether or not they think they'll like the series for little money. Sure, two episodes isn't much to go by, but it's something, and a cheap something at that.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
. While it's only two episodes a disc, it's cheap, meaning people can check out whether or not they think they'll like the series for little money. Sure, two episodes isn't much to go by, but it's something, and a cheap something at that.

It may seem cheap if you only look at one disc, but look at the big picture. Assuming everyone could buy the entire 13 discs from BB at $12 per disc, and paying no tax, that would be $156. If ADV were to have released it on say... 6 DVDs of 4 eps and 1 DVD of 2 eps (or some similar combination), and again everyone could buy the entire series from BB at their standard ADV price of $20, the total cost would be $140. So, doing it this way, you could have bought yourself a FUNi DVD from BB with that $16, or almost got yourself another one from ADV. I do agree it's not their choice though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2