• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Top Tax Payers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
Anyone know how much Takahashi earns? I've never really found out how wealthy a mangaka can get, but I was guessing it might be similar to an author?
(is somewhat surprised that Eiichirou Oda is on the list (mangaka of One Piece) yet the mangaka of Naruto is)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'd be willing to bet she pays 37% income taxes.

You do the math.

-t
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:53 am Reply with quote
How about that Masashi Kishimoto. Naruto must be really kicking butt if he's in the number three slot so relativly early in his career. I mean, Takahashi's been doing this since the late 70's and Aoyama may be getting rich off Detective Conan these days, but he's had at least two other series before that, one of which (Yaiba) went on for a several years. For Kishimoto to hit the top three with his first series is quite impressive.

Of course, as was said elsewhere, that doesn't mean he's the third highest-paid manga creator in the country (or even in Jump; I'm pretty sure the guy who does One Piece makes more) but it's still pretty cool. See, kids, all you need is to drop a super-angsty pretty boy into your series to serve as rival/best friend/drama factory, and the fangirls will make you a millionaire. Wink
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:21 am Reply with quote
Just remember that, even though a mangaka might have hit after hit in the past, it doesn't mean they have earned that much this year. This only takes into account the past year.

When it comes to how much mangaka make directly off the manga itself, I'm sure the tax is the same, but what throws off figuring who made the most (not neccisarily the exact amount they made) is the merchadising, TV rights, etc. I'm sure the Naruto mangaka is raking it in off TV rights and merchandising because I keep seeing those headbands pop up at import sites. (quite annoying after a while when you are looking for a specific anime and all they can produce is Naruto... nothing against it, though) I'm sure the tax laws are different depending on where the income is coming from, such as TV rights.
Otaprince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
I'm sure the tax laws are different depending on where the income is coming from, such as TV rights.

no idea about tax in Japan, but tax in the US doesn't work that way. You're taxed on income, regardless of source. Yes, your could have various deductions or credits, but income is income, whether coming from manga or licensed products.

Kishimoto, Naruto's creator, paid about a million dollars in tax-- again, the article doesn't say whether that 10 to 37% means marginal tax rate or effective tax rate, but i'll take a stab and say that he earns about $3-4m a year. That's not chump change, by any means, but compare with the annual income of some American celebrities: Shaquille O'Neal ($32 million), Tiger Woods ($80 million), Oprah Winfrey ($210 million), Barry Bonds ($23 million), Mel Gibson ($210 million) and Lance Armstrong ($19 million).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Otaprince wrote:
no idea about tax in Japan, but tax in the US doesn't work that way. You're taxed on income, regardless of source. Yes, your could have various deductions or credits, but income is income, whether coming from manga or licensed products.

Not entirely true.

You pay less Income Tax on dividends because it is felt that you've already been taxed at the corporate level.

-t
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Editorial Supervision ranks one as a manga-ka? See #4...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1