• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 6 Destroyers of the Fourth Wall

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention Roman in Sket Dance. Although she does break the fourth-wall in the manga more than in the anime...
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dr Slump is the most 4th wall destroying manga/anime I've seen.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Is the third choice in the poll for favorite anime catchphrase supposed to be blank?

Also, I remember re-watching some of Hare+Guu recently with some friends, and Guu has pretty much no regard for the fourth wall. Given that the show hates rationality of any kind, this pretty much makes sense.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Voted for "Who the hell do you think I am?!" from Gurren Lagann.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite glad to see Osamu Tezuka show up on the list, one way or another. His fourth wall-destroying antics are definitely an acquired taste, so to speak, and may come off as too random at first...but they become extremely enjoyable once you're used to them.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I would have choose Believe It if I actually watched Naruto. Since I have not have I choose uguu because I do now and then use in my conversations during the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
When thinking of breaking the fourth wall NISA always comes to mind, The Disgaea series loves breaking the fourth wall so much that there's even a character in side quest that will try to derail the story so she can steal the title of main character (Loved how in ZHP, Asagi was not only trying to take over that but several anime series to).

Trinity Universe also had a memorable scene near the ending where some of the characters talk about how they think the game should end, NISA's budget and takes a couple jabs at Final Fantasy.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka's 4th wall escapades were always funny and clever. They remind me of Will Eisner gags from The Spirit. Nothing is funnier than a random Tezuka being blown around by a hurricane.

And my catch phrase vote was for "You're already dead". But i have a feeling i know which ones will get the most votes.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I think over 75% of the Gintama episodes break the fourth wall. Even the OVAs and the movie do it.

Man, I heard lots of complains about Soul Eater's filler but it ended pretty good. It's hard to imagine that Naruto survived to about 85 episodes of filler, when even Kenshin couldn't with 30 episodes. The fillers from Bleach are kind of good to be fair, but they instantly cut the main storyline which caused some scenes in which characters broke the fourth wall. The fillers from Dragon Ball were enjoyable, while the ones from Dragon Ball Z were annoying.

Last edited by sainta on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Someone actually voted for Naruto filler Shocked

Kamina has the best catchphrase on the list, but my all time favorite is from Aria's Aika Granzchesta: "No sappy lines allowed!!!"

Hajime in Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars is also a "fourth-waller" (in his case, it leads to some good laughs from his sister).
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the topic I immediately thought of Kodocha, so I'm glad it made the list. But it's not only Sana and Babbit who break the fourth wall - Zenjiro does it a lot as well, which makes sense considering he's a comic relief character. For example, in one episode Zenjiro is snubbed several times despite being a celebrity, and at the end of the episode he says he's "sick of this anime." You can even hear him in the background calling his agent asking to be removed from the show because he's sick of wearing his stupid buckteeth all the time. Kodocha probably has some of the funniest breaking of the fourth wall - although you could argue it has no fourth wall since it does it so much.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Kodocha taking 4th place!! ^__^
I think the few times Gintama doesn't break the fourth wall is when they're in the middle of a serious arc.

My favorite catchphrase, which isn't listed, has to be:
"Only one truth prevails!": Detective Conan

But I'm surprise that THIS CATCHPHRASE, WHICH HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!!!
*cue sparkles* isn't on the list.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually kinda surprised that "I'm simply one hell of a butler" wasn't on the list.

I voted for "You're already dead," btw.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I always loved Cromartie's little quips about how it gets around explaining something, "if you want to find out, then read the manga" as a 4th-wall joke. Not to mention the amount of... well... 4th wall jokes that are just everywhere in the series. "I think I'll name him... Freddie".

As far as the catchphrases go, I went with Nozomu's "Zetsuboushita!!"
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that you're making me choose between Kenshiro and Kamina!!

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
But I'm surprise that THIS CATCHPHRASE, WHICH HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!!!
*cue sparkles* isn't on the list.

Hey, yeah!! That's a classic!! What others got missed?
See you around, Space Cowboy?
Love and Peace?
Oro?
You've still got a ways to go?
Once again, I have cut a worthless object?

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Hooray for Kodocha taking 4th place!! ^__^

Agreed! [Insert pathetic pleading for dubbing the second season.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4