• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Grounded AlienS and Spaceborn Humans

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Broken Image Links?! Oh noes!!!1

Quote:
[DearS] Tastes Like: Melon bread. Actually, I have no idea what it tastes like, but they sure do make it look cute in the series.

That it does. That it does.

You do know that sales for Madlax Volume 2 will skyrocket because of this article. Laughing

They've shown a couple of instances of "walla" on TV before. I remember one place where they all walked around in a circle with a microphone at one end. Weird, but it works.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if you chance to pick up the second volume of Madlax, listen carefully to the people yelling in the background of episode six. If your ears are sharp enough, you’ll hear a voice calling out: ”HEY! Your mom called! She wants you to grow some balls!!”
It always pays to listen to what those people are shouting in the background... Laughing And yes, now I am motivated to check out the Madlax series.
The Future-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Ooh ee. Ooh ah ah.

Walla walla bing bang.

I don't even remember what that's from, but I had to say it Laughing

And I agree that Cromartie High is a barrel of laughs going down the Falls.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm killing myself right now for not recognizing the Freddie thing earlier! I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what that character was alluding to untill just now. I laughed my ass off when I saw that picture...ah, Mercury is my hero Very Happy

I dunno what it is about Madlax, or any BeeTrain production for that matter, but they all put me to sleep or make me seriously drowsy. I'm not saying they're not good, but every series I've seen by that studio works better than Nyquil.

Oh, and I think you should add Ai Yori Aoshi to the list of subservient-female anime.
"Kaoru-samaaaaa!" Razz
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The Future-kun wrote:

No one tell. NO ONE TELL!
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The Future-kun wrote:

No one tell. NO ONE TELL!

But it's sooo tempting to tell him... what freaks me out is just how many different artists have actually done this song. O_o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Future-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh okay, I remember* now! Not like you couldn't just Google it anyway Razz

That's almost as good as the "ramma lamma ham dam" from West Side Story (?) or was that Grease...or was it something else entirely

Damn you, "The Past-san"! You always creep up on me unexpectedly... Laughing
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
My Beautiful Girl Mari sounds awesome. I have to find that.

And I might check out Galaxy Railways.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Bamboo, DearS is a ental title.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Madlax, and while it's certainly enjoyable, I can't help but see it as an enhanced retread of Noir, at least so far. Madlax and Margaret are friendlier versions of Mireille and Kirika, Enfant is the new shadow-organization-rooted-in-mysiticism that replaces the Soldats, and Madlax is pretty much an assassin (call her mercenary if you want to) just like Mireille. It's had its moments where it's really impressed me, but I can't help but scream "NOIR" at the top of my lungs at many of the things in this anime. However, this is just a comparison of approximately the first 10 episodes, so there's plenty of time for this to change. And I do think it's novel having the two main characters not have met yet. Plus, I love how the pacing gets the plot moving much quicker than Noir does.

I would have figured that Cromartie might have been on the Rental Shelf. I certainly think that it's Shelf Worthy, but from my experience, it's really hit or miss fan-wise. Some of my firends really like it, and some of them think it's one of the worst things they've ever watched. Some of them don't even like Freddy! The nerve!
Rion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Bamboo on Cromartie High School, That anime was so damn funny, i really don't think the cover and the back does it justice. I need to see the other volumes....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I agree with Bamboo, DearS is a ental title.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I should put too much significance on it, but the review did seem to suggest that the main saving grace of DearS is its art. I know that DearS seems to polarize opinions, so I guess it would be rental or buy largely for viewers who like DearS' style of art and character design. Others should probably save their money for something else, especially if they find the premise of DearS troubling.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
In defense of DearS, the latter part of the series is about dealing with the issues that the former-slave aliens are having to deal with. It's not all fanservicey fluff.

Plus, Ren's got huge............ tracks of land.

I'd say it's a solid rental.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
In defense of DearS....It's not all fanservicey fluff.

Yes it is. YES IT IS! It's all cute and fluffy with some stuff thrown in to fool viewers into thinking there's actually some substance to the show.

What's really annoying is that we never learn the purpose of those twins with the earmuffs that do The Monkey during the ED (Cutest. ED. Ever.) And they look like such fun-loving girls, too.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
In defense of DearS....It's not all fanservicey fluff.

Yes it is. YES IT IS! It's all cute and fluffy with some stuff thrown in to fool viewers into thinking there's actually some substance to the show.

What's really annoying is that we never learn the purpose of those twins with the earmuffs that do The Monkey during the ED (Cutest. ED. Ever.) And they look like such fun-loving girls, too.

I'm not saying its up on the level with Full Metal Alchemist or FLCL, but I at least thought it had some decent character development towards the end.

Still, the manga's better. And besides, what's wrong with some merangue every now and the? All I know is that I have a serious hankering for melon bread now....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3