• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues A.D. Vision, Sentai, Others for US$8 Million

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Not only is the American Anime Industry getting smaller, its quarreling with one another.
Hope this doesn't kill Sentai/Section 23 if they are found guilty. That would really suck to have Funimation as the only big anime distribution company in the US.

Last edited by Ovan~the~Rebirth on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
How does I monopolizing western anime industry?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy. Bankruptcy/Debtor law. I know nothing about this, so I'll stay out, but yeesh. Not good for either party, and particularly for the American anime industry.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, the whole Sojitz deal really ended up screweing with the industry over here, huh? Sucks that it's come to this now; it's like all of the anime companies that are/were big over here just have to make sure that 2012 starts off on the absolute worst foot it can, right?

It really makes one wonder if companies like NIS America, Discotek, and Anime Midstream have bad news that they're waiting to share...
jsieczkar

With how ADV was "fixed" this was bound to happen, I'm sure many creditors were screwed over with what they did.
yamiangie

nice way for Funi to lose money. Because i have a feeling that's all that's going to happen.
prime_pm

At times like this, I miss being a newbie.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
So now they're all fighting amongst eachother? Not a good last 2 weeks for the American anime industry.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Dunno how accurate the metaphor is, probably not at all, but the *first* thing to pop in my head was "Oh no, Mummy and Daddy are fighting." X_x Gggguh. And all the emotions that accompany that first impression.

Needless to say I don't know anything about the situation to speak for either party or whatever, but it looks bad no matter what the truth of the matter. Anime dazed
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I just don't want it being bad to the point where a company is hurt too much from this and get close to going under. Hope things work out in a positive way.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
That would really suck to have Funimation as the only big anime distribution company in the US.

All according to keikaku.

This was Funi's plan from the start.. first Bandai, now this.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
No matter who wins, the fans lose. Sigh.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you JesuOtaku - this is gonna be messy no matter who's really in the right, and I can barely read through legal-ese enough to read the article much less know what to actually say about all of this. Confused

I hate to see something like this happen but if nothing else, I trust FUNi knows what it's doing...hopefully...I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I have no grounds at all to assess the merits of the case and there isn't much information available, but I can't help but mislike this. Perhaps it makes sense from Funimation's perspective, but to me it's just an already fragile industry eating itself. I'm curious as to why it took this long to file the suit.

I never really understood ADV's weird reverse-Voltron survival strategy; it never seemed entirely right to me, so I won't be surprised if it's left them vulnerable to legal action. I just really hope that it doesn't lead to fewer participants in the market.

Hell of a January and it's not even halfway over.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding me? Way to go Funimation, way to go...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16