• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: I Think Therefore I Rant

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, doesn't that ABC Family show Pretty Little Liars have a lesbian couple as well? That could be another mainstream teen title that deals with that issue.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm listening to the show right now, and the discussion of gay relationships just ended.

Zac, the PBS show you were thinking of is Postcards From Buster, which was a spin-off show of Arthur. In the show, Buster Baxter went around the world with his father, meeting various live-action people; he recorded his adventures with his video camera and sent his "video postcards" to his friends back in Elwood City. The episode that raised the stink ("Sugartime!") had Buster meeting a girl in Vermont who had two moms.

I was just looking through an article at the New York Times website with information on what happened in the aftermath of the episode airing. I'll include the link below, for anyone who's interested:

Censured PSB Bunny Returns, Briefly

Last edited by ljaesch on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
While we're posting links, here's an article on that Adventure Time thing I mentioned: clicky

It doesn't say anything about actual staff getting fired, so I think I may have misunderstood - I believe what happened is that someone in Frederator's NY marketing department lost his job over it. Still sucks. Confused
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Same-Sex Relationships: I do agree that people immediately going against homosexual relationships really need to realize how silly & immature they come off as. Also, on the flip-side, I tend to really get annoyed by people who feel that once a yuri releationship is introduced in a series then that should be the focus. For example, the anime Needless made fun of yuri fanservice by having its entire first ending sequence be a giant yuri tease which never actually happens. The end result? Some fans cling to that ending sequence and wish that the show went further with that yuri tease and end up not enjoying the show as much... Even though it was fairly obvious that the show isn't really about that. Just because a title has two girls having feelings towards each other doesn't mean that the show is instantly better or that the show has to focus on that. That comes off, arguably, as being even more immature in my opinion than going to the opposite direction and putting it down simply for being a homosexual relationship.

Gundam: I'll agree that there's no chance at Gundam ever becoming a big hit over here, but I do think that it has a strong-enough of a following over here to make it worth releasing a Gundam series in North America every now and then. The only problem, though, is if the Japanese are still high on the idea that Gundam could still be a giant hit in North America; if they are, then we might still remain screwed over, in a sense. Zac keeps saying that Bandai Visual might say "Here's your Blu-Rays for Turn-A,", but I don't think Turn-A has a BD release in Japan yet. The two Turn-A recap movies do, though, so maybe BV will give those a try and say "Here's your Turn-A".

Fans Who Hate "Haters": The only time I feel that hating a show or not liking an anime is worth reading or listening to is when those "haters" have actual points to bring up or can actually explain why they don't like it. Having your argument be simple-minded or focused on one point does nothing to help your case. If you find a title to be bad because it's "stupid" or "[Insert Another Anime That Is Similar In Some Way] is better" really does nothing to explain why you find that title bad; there needs to be some sort of explainable reason why you didn't enjoy it. Also, arguing that a person is "wrong" for enjoying something or saying "No, [Insert Title Here] is bad/undefendable" is just plain silly. You don't like a show I like or love watching? Fine, but if you want to explain why you better have some reason[s] that can be explained and argued.

Finally, I also found Zac's preview for Clannad absolutely hilarious in how bland and soulless it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I also like to disuses the good and bad points of shows (yes I can admit that there are bad points to shows that I love), and I agree it is really annoying when people rage at you if you don't share their exact opinion. The thing that bothers me the most is when people give the, "It just is!" argument, without backing up with anything. Rolling Eyes When I see someone pull that "argument" out I make a run for it and don't look back.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
While we're posting links, here's an article on that Adventure Time thing I mentioned: clicky

It doesn't say anything about actual staff getting fired, so I think I may have misunderstood - I believe what happened is that someone in Frederator's NY marketing department lost his job over it. Still sucks. Confused

Considering a chunk of the staff who work on that show also go to 4chan and junk, they kind of deserve it. I'm not sure how on earth they thought injecting stupid 4chan-ery into a kid's show was a smart idea. Let alone people working on the show drawing that kind of junk and posting it for everyone to see as if it's 'official' or something.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
couldn't have summed the part on clannad better however being huge fan that fan-base is hugely diverse and saying anything bad will land you in the hot-water. This again hit me more nerves with me that I really take to heart when doing some reviews here or there.

http://cecilsanimevisualnovelreview.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-of-clannad-visual-novel-true.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't buy the idea that MSG killed Gundam in America because other franchise have weathered failure before. Star Trek Enterprise didn't do very well and it was followed by the Abram's movie, Kara Zor-el's popularity skyrocketed decades after she was created, Gundam in Japan had Gundam Seed be a huge success after the failure of Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam. How many Gundam fans remain that where actually introduced through Gundam Wing in 2000? The whole thing just comes off as a scapegoat for Gundam's problems.

The problem was that no one within Bandai (either Japan or America) really understood how to sell their products to the American people. With Bandai Entertainment their trailers where always uninteresting, and I never saw them as a company that really engaged the fandom like Funimation did. As for the Japanese they have a hard enough time selling anime outside of the Otaku market in Japan let alone America.

As for being labeled a "hater", I never saw the need to care about what others think about anime you like or do not like. I mean there are more important things to worry about. I know a bunch of people who like stuff that I don't who I respect, and I know a bunch of people who like what I like but are such jerks that I don't want to talk to them.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Considering a chunk of the staff who work on that show also go to 4chan and junk, they kind of deserve it. I'm not sure how on earth they thought injecting stupid 4chan-ery into a kid's show was a smart idea. Let alone people working on the show drawing that kind of junk and posting it for everyone to see as if it's 'official' or something.

"I don't like this so I'll associate it with another thing I don't like and pretend that that relationship makes it OK for people to lose their jobs"
Lord forbid a cartoon actually put its animation budget to use while being potentially entertaining for non-children. Heaven forbid staff members of a comedy series playing with fan ideas a bit. Better blame it on some website I hear bad things about every once in a while.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I'm listening to the show right now, and the discussion of gay relationships just ended.

Zac, the PBS show you were thinking of is Postcards From Buster, which was a spin-off show of Arthur. In the show, Buster Baxter went around the world with his father, meeting various live-action people; he recorded his adventures with his video camera and sent his "video postcards" to his friends back in Elwood City. The episode that raised the stink ("Sugartime!") had Buster meeting a girl in Vermont who had two moms.

I was just looking through an article at the New York Times website with information on what happened in the aftermath of the episode airing. I'll include the link below, for anyone who's interested:

Censured PSB Bunny Returns, Briefly

And here the actual scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhPLHBAO1Kg
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
"I don't like this so I'll associate it with another thing I don't like and pretend that that relationship makes it OK for people to lose their jobs"
Lord forbid a cartoon actually put its animation budget to use while being potentially entertaining for non-children. Heaven forbid staff members of a comedy series playing with fan ideas a bit. Better blame it on some website I hear bad things about every once in a while.

If you're saying I'm again homosexuality, oh heavens no. I'm talking about them being completely unprofessional about it. Let's not kid ourselves and try to treat that video as some kind of 'deep, meaningful portrayal of homosexual characters' so much as it was 'let's throw some 4chan humor we saw on /co/ in a video and act completely unprofessional about it then act surprised when negative fallout happens over it because we were doing stupid stuff with a kids show'

Fan ideas should be just that, fan ideas. Let alone fan ideas from the dark parts of the internet. It's all about professionalism. Just like that Rugrats storyboard that got leaked (only this was after the show ended so no real harm there). The animators screwing around in their free time, fair enough, but the minute you start trying to post that stuff on the internet claiming it's canon or 'real' for the kiddies (let alone put it in a promo video to advertise an upcoming episode) is where that line of professionalism disappears.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Crusing along fine, hit third segment: OKAY I AM NOT DRUNK ENOUGH FOR THIS PODCAST. Give me fifteen
Okay, I'm ready.

Why is everyone picking on DxD? It's a perfectly cromulent show.

Yaoi is gay, and have I mentioned I am heterosexual today? Did that met your expectations, Mr. Bertschy?

I'll be honest, if I knew that No.6 was a shounen ai show, I wouldn't have watched it -- and a lot of the reasons is because shounen ai has the reputation of being total fanservice. But you know, it was a rather good show. I agree, I would like to see more normal gay characters. I am a total yuri fanboi, and while there are some rather good, serious yuri shows, like Aoi Hana, there are a lot of crap fanservice shows like Yuruyuri. I would like to see gay played more straight. Okay, worst possible word choice there.

Quote:
I don't know when it became a bad thing to have taste.

The minute I walked in door. BOOM.
I am rather irritated about the third rant, but I can't explain why. People have opinions. These are valid. Some are more valid than others. Quite honesty, I don't care what other fans think. If I think a show sucks, I'll say it sucks. If I think the show's awesome, I'll say it's awesome. And if someone says this show is awesome, and I disagree, I will disagree, but I have no hard feelings about it. It's not like I think the other person is wrong per se, just that I'm more right, unless I'm not. Which has happened. Jonathon, perhaps we should start our own thread. With blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the thread.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to find a stream of the Harvard/Yale game. Cheerio, boys!
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The Internet: Find Your Own Hole!

Quote:

The only time I feel that hating a show or not liking an anime is worth reading or listening to is when those "haters" have actual points to bring up or can actually explain why they don't like it.

And vice-versa for why seemingly blind, Preach-to-the-Choir superfans praise something to the heavens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18