• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rumic Theater Installment Runs Next Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Cool. But at this point, Rumiko Takahashi has become sort of an afterthought. I dropped Rinne after chapter 10 (when they were simultaneously releasing in the old Rumic World) and haven't gotten interested ever since. She should be pretty wealthy by now, so she could just hang them up after Rinne is wrapped up and enjoy a nice retirement.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Cool. But at this point, Rumiko Takahashi has become sort of an afterthought. I dropped Rinne after chapter 10 (when they were simultaneously releasing in the old Rumic World) and haven't gotten interested ever since. She should be pretty wealthy by now, so she could just hang them up after Rinne is wrapped up and enjoy a nice retirement.

While she is one of the most richest women in Japan, drawing manga as a career isn't actually that great of one. The pay can be small, and it can actually be very demanding on one's health. But mostly, little pay, so some people have to keep at it for a decent income.

Not to mention, some people love drawing manga just because and have no intention on retiring.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
I agree with Kohii. I am generally a fan of Rumiko's works, yet when I bought one volume of RIN-NE I couldn't finish the book. Too bad since the series seemed like it had some potential. Although, I won't object to sampling episodes of an Anime version (if that ever happens in the future) to see if it gets any better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doctorhauser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
I can understand that people got disillusioned with Rin-Ne, but honestly, I can't get why would anyone diss the next Rumiko short story because of that, considering the little fact that it's a small self-contained story with nothing to do with Rin-Ne... Rolling Eyes
Most probably it'll be an easier, more substantial read that a Rin-ne chapter because of the aforementioned selfcontained format. To me, Rumiko's short stories may be hit or miss, but I surely wouldn't reject reading a short Rumiko story because I got tired of how long was InuYasha or something like that Anime hyper.

As for why she keeps drawing... well, I don't know if she's really rich or not; however, if she is but loves working and telling her stories, more power to her. Being able to do that after so much time in the business can't be easy with so much competition from the new generations... And the manga business seems like a real tough arena, whether you're wealthy or not.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
Doctorhauser wrote:
well, I don't know if she's really rich or not

She is. For many years, she was always among the top tax-payers in the J-entertainment industry.
JarethaUlrich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
I have the two Viz collections of Rumic World, and the releases of the Rumic Trilogy. Of all the manga I own, those five books are the ones I most often re-read.

Thus far, Takahashi's short stories are the only ones that I've ever read or had the privilege of owning. They are fantastic!

Yes, her various series meander, are filled with filler, and often don't end with satisfaction (except Maison Ikkoku and One Pound Gospel), but the short story genre, especially hers, are so under appreciated!

The short story "Those Darn Aliens" makes me laugh more than Ranma ever did, the sweet ones like "Extra Large Size Happiness" make my heartstrings ping more than Maison Ikkoku ever did, and the creepy stories like "When My Eyes Got Wings" are downright creeptastic.

Release the other two volumes, Viz!!!
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for me. I had not been aware of her annual short stories. The only thing that makes me sad is the very real possibility that I may never get to read the story.
I love Rumiko Takahashi. I own, and have read many times, everything that Viz has published, Including Rin-ne, and I think that she keeps getting better. Inuyasha is still my favorite series, but Rin-ne has the potential to surpass it. That will depend a lot on where she takes the relationship between Rinne and Sakura.

I really enjoy Rumiko Takahashi's short stories.
I hope that Viz might be inspired to license and translate the rest of the Rumic World and Lum stories. Given the current state of the North American manga industry I doubt that it is likely to happen, but I can still hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1