• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Tutu DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy that ADV is back on track with this title and the other beloved Junichi Sato series of mine. Yay! And awesome review!
wao

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
"a show based on a relatively short manga series"

No, the show was based on Ikuko Ito's original concept that she developed for 10 years. The manga is simply a side thing. And I think it was so short because it flopped.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
Gee, a shoujo anime with a burst of angst in it. Nope. Never had that before. Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Gee, a shoujo anime with a burst of angst in it. Nope. Never had that before. Rolling Eyes

It isn't just a "burst of angst". The show drops into Livejournal woe-is-me, who-am-I-really?, I'm-so-complicated navel-gazery for far too long near the end of the disc. I simply got tired of long, self-obsessed monologues while watching the character stare lifelessly at the ground.

Besides that it's the sole complaint in the review, man, for christ's sake.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I know, but it's kind of amusing to see an atypical show inject itself with an OD of the typical brooding and angst that occupies space in just about every shoujo series.

I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wao said:
"a show based on a relatively short manga series"

No, the show was based on Ikuko Ito's original concept that she developed for 10 years. The manga is simply a side thing. And I think it was so short because it flopped.

Yay! I'm not the only one who actually knows that. Razz I thought I got them to fix it in the encyclopedia entry at some point though, didn't I? At any rate, I dont' think it was ever meant to go beyond two volumes. Most of the anime-based manga tie-ins don't run very long unless they're uber-popular shonen and/or lolish. Mind you, in Tutu's case I consider this a mercy and not a sadness.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Gee, a shoujo anime that's "extremely girly" Never had that before. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this review came out a month ago, but since vol. 2 is finally due out Tuesday (the 29th), I think it's worthwhile to bring it up again. This is a title that deserves the extra promotion.

Those who wouldn't normally tolerate magical girl series should still give this one a try. It is a very different approach to the typical magical girl style, an enchanting series that can draw in even those who normally despise the genre (as I do). Zac's right about this volume tending to get a little too angsty, but despite that it still effectively plays out like a fairy tale - which is exactly what it's meant to be. And the appearance of the Crow Princess certainly does shake up the plot a bit.

The music is fabulous, although I would point out that the themes are from a variety of different ballets and even a waltz or two, while the Nutracker suits only pops up in this volume in the eye catches. This is all explained in Etude, one of the many extras packed into the volume.

Hopefully ADV's now back on a regular schedule beginning with this volume, because it's one of the better series out there that people aren't watching enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1