• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Ghibli Project to be Announced December 13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Studio Ghibli Presents: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Very Happy

Let the speculations begin.

We know it's a book...

On the subject of Ghibli, I really hope that Miyazaki does a Lupin movie as his final movie before retiring. It was Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro that kicked started his movie career, and when he decides to retire, he should finish off with a Lupin film.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, a Lupin the 3rd film would interesting since Disney HAS to release it because of that contract. Twisted Evil
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hmmm, a Lupin the 3rd film would interesting since Disney HAS to release it because of that contract.

Disney doesn't have to release anything. The original deal is concluded and only included past titles.

New titles are negotiated on a case by case basis, with no obligations on either Disney's or Ghibli's part (actually, it has been speculated that Disney has a first right of refusal). I would however expect them to continue to do business together. It has been very lucrative for both companies.

Whatsmore, if a Ghibli title is too mature for Disney, they could still license it and pass it off to Miramax, which is what they did with Mononoke.

-t
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
By the way, anyone remember this little tidbit from ANS?

Quote:

9-20-05 (4:12AM EST)---- Gedo Senki To Be Ghibli And Miyazaki's Next?
According to a blog entry of an anonymous editor working for publisher in Tokyo, the next film animation work to be tackled by Studio Ghibli will be based on the Earthsea series of novels by American fantasy writer Ursula K. Le Guin. Specifically, the book Gedo Senki (Japanese Title). Hayao Miyazaki will reportedly direct. The editor learned of this news when a film rights option was being sought by the book's Japanese publisher Iwanami Shoten.

Miyazaki has in the past admitted being an admirer of Le Guin's writings.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whatsmore, if a Ghibli title is too mature for Disney, they could still license it and pass it off to Miramax, which is what they did with Mononoke.

Or sit on it like they are doing with Only yesterday..... (with an exception of the whole wonderful TCM deal...)

The next Ghibli film is rumored to be a Takahata film, if this his final work lets hope he goes out with a bang ;).

I can't wait for the announcement!
wao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
It's been too long since the last Takahata movie - I certainly can't wait to see what it is. Though wasn't there news that Miyazaki wanted to work on another movie anyway? (I don't mind really... but I hope Takahata doesn't decide not to do a movie)
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
On the subject of Ghibli, I really hope that Miyazaki does a Lupin movie as his final movie before retiring. It was Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro that kicked started his movie career, and when he decides to retire, he should finish off with a Lupin film.

I would absolutely love to see Miyazaki do another Lupin III film! However, it's very unlikely that it will happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1