• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - All the Gintama In the World

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Just a small note on the Kids on the Slope bit:

Brother Jun, the victim of the PTSD flashbacks in episode 8, isn't actually Sentaro's older brother. He's a neighbor and childhood friend that Sentaro looks up to, and calls 'brother' as an affectionate form of respect. Perhaps an insignificant distinction, but possibly important given where certain relationships seem to be heading.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Flight 005 Conspiracy is a three act film told in 56 minutes, and I would love to have seen it done in twice the running time and several times the budget. Project EDEN is a nice film, but 005 is a more solid and tightly scripted story, making it my favorite single thing in the DP franchise, other than the OVA series taken as a whole.

Suggestions for films to project: Robot Carnival and Neo Tokyo are both full of crazy visuals that impress and awe, and Zac mentioned at least twice how Cobra is an animated ELO feature film. Venus Wars another great candidate, great visuals tied to a film that's poorly put together. Birth, Genmu Senki Leda, and Dragon's Heaven could work too.

I'm sure NBC saw a massive ratings drop from what they were hoping before the scratch, but the tickets to the event itself are non-refundable. If you're there you might as well go, so it had a good turn out physically.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well you see, The movie is acctually just a rehash of a arc they did in the gintama anime. so all this stuff is pretty canon and you'll see it again anyway.(well except the warner jokes and fake trailers.) Honestly though my first time watching gintama was through the movie and while I understand the fact you see series x for x gerne, from what I've heard Gintama has ALOT of thses sorts of things scattered around here and there. They're short but they're there.

Either way For the 4 voices I really give a damn about because I've heard them in Japanese, If Gintama does get a dub, I would be happy if they kept Kagura and Katsura's voices. Gintoki's is good but he sounds like a teen when he should be in his mid 20's, so really he just needs a ajustment. and yes, shimpachi's voice is ANNOYING!! I can imagine him being kept but some SERIOUS fine tuning needs to be done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm prepared to watch Kids on the Slope very soon, which I still regret of not picking it up sooner after hearing all the positive comments and reviews about the series.

Wow, as for this week's collection, just amazing..the C;G stuff, FLCL, the DBZ classics, etc. Great materials there (:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Honestly though my first time watching gintama was through the movie and while I understand the fact you see series x for x gerne, from what I've heard Gintama has ALOT of thses sorts of things scattered around here and there. They're short but they're there.

Honestly, Gintama would be great enough if it was just about the comedy, but I love how it goes into serious material. It allows the characters to actually develop and show off a side that they normally don't show. The best thing about Gintama characters are that they're really funny to see get into silly predicaments and break the fourth wall, but at the same time you can appreciate them for being able to take a serious moment seriously. Gintama knows when to poke fun and when to be serious.

Maybe it's just me, but disliking a Gintama production because it's not always comedy just sounds, well, silly. To be fair, though, I do believe Gin, Kagura, & Shinpachi have made fun of the fact that there are serious story arcs in the series when it's usually a comedy. Still, Gintama is roughly 80% silly, 20% serious; the serious moments aren't all over the place, but they also tend to be some of the most memorable moments in the series.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite part about these movies is that once in a while there's a sloppy film splice that almost looks taped (most people will probably not notice this). Seeing the occasional splice reminded me that this was shot on film. The perfect shading and crazily detailed spaceships were all painstakingly hand painted without CG or even a single Ctrl+Z

I know what you mean. There is something really magical about those old hand drawn cels. I'm currently rewatching Marmalade Boy and, for me, half the fun is looking at the art.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I have been considering picking up Gintama for a while. It looks interesting.

Kids on the Slope sounds very good; I look forward to picking it up when it is released over here. I'm not as huge a fan of Cowboy Bebop as everyone else, but I loved Samurai Champloo. It's interesting to see how much music has influenced his projects.

I'm not as big a fan of old anime as others on here, so I think that I unfortunately wont watch any Dirty Pair, but it's cool that they included two different dubs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, Gintama would be great enough if it was just about the comedy, but I love how it goes into serious material. It allows the characters to actually develop and show off a side that they normally don't show. The best thing about Gintama characters are that they're really funny to see get into silly predicaments and break the fourth wall, but at the same time you can appreciate them for being able to take a serious moment seriously. Gintama knows when to poke fun and when to be serious.

Agreed.

I once said to my friend, "writing a Gintama is way more fun than writing an Excel Saga". You really hit the nail on why--with the sporadic serious scenes, you can develop a greater attachment to the characters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The Gintama dub.... I won't say a lot other then it really pissed me off, and has made me question buying any future Sentai release.

Anyways I think it is funny you didn't like the seriousness of the movie, because it's the semi-serious arcs (there is still plenty of humor in them) are what make the show go from good to great. Really I thought they did a good job fitting the arc into a movie.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much bought the Dirty Pair DVD for Project Eden. I just couldn't get into Affair of Nolandia. The plot just felt meandering and boring to me. Flight 005 Conspiracy is good; but considering it is the last animated Dirty pair (not counting Flash), it ends the franchise on kind of a down note. I much prefer the energy of Project Eden.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention the Triple Crown. We had the 8th graders watch Secretariat these last couple of days before the semester is out. XD

I'm want to say I'm surprised they dubbed the Gintama movie, but I also can think of why I shouldn't be. The TV series is full of some cultural jokes that wouldn't come across well in English (or so I've heard). The movie, from what we just read, is completely lacking humor so a dub could work more or less.

Also, how is Kids on a Slope doing viewership-wise? Is it as interesting as advertised? I've heard some ups and downs about it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The love triangle is hands down the least interesting part of this show. Worse, it seems like a front hiding a secret fusjoshi agenda.

I've noticed several shows like that this season. It's the reason I couldn't get into Tsuritama, and I suspect it's partially responsible for the 'handsome' character designs in Kuroko's basketball (compared with Tsurikichi Sanpei and Slam Dunk, it's surprising how many attractive young men can be the focal point of a story). Shojo manga tends to be rife with handsome men and beautiful girls, and I wonder if mainstream and shonen anime are tilting more and more in that direction to attract female audience members. One of the earlier instances I can think of offhand with that type of fan-catering would be Gundam Wing, but even more so after Prince of Tennis came out. I wouldn't be surprised if there were earlier examples than that (maybe Heroic Legend of Arslan, though I always pegged that to Yoshitaka Amano's fantasy art-style), but I suppose I'm more so wondersome that it seems to have become a trend these days --- perhaps it's these seemingly demographic-catering character designs that are contributing to a sense of increased "fan-service" (in the non-T&A sense) in recent years.

As an aside, the Dirty Pair OVA collection is on my "to-get" list. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Quote:
The love triangle is hands down the least interesting part of this show. Worse, it seems like a front hiding a secret fusjoshi agenda.

I've noticed several shows like that this season. It's the reason I couldn't get into Tsuritama, and I suspect it's partially responsible for the 'handsome' character designs in Kuroko's basketball (compared with Tsurikichi Sanpei and Slam Dunk, it's surprising how many attractive young men can be the focal point of a story).

Why do the fusjoshi have to ruin everything for the rest of us? Tsuritama is a really good show but unlike Kids on the Slop (I have had several Um... moments in this show) you have to really have to be delusional to think there is anything but friendship going on there between the male characters. I really want to know when friend of the same gender started always equaling love interest (nothing against yaoi or yuri, but come on people sometime they really are just friends).
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Honestly though my first time watching gintama was through the movie and while I understand the fact you see series x for x gerne, from what I've heard Gintama has ALOT of thses sorts of things scattered around here and there. They're short but they're there.

Maybe it's just me, but disliking a Gintama production because it's not always comedy just sounds, well, silly. To be fair, though, I do believe Gin, Kagura, & Shinpachi have made fun of the fact that there are serious story arcs in the series when it's usually a comedy. Still, Gintama is roughly 80% silly, 20% serious; the serious moments aren't all over the place, but they also tend to be some of the most memorable moments in the series.

This. The Gintama movie is a reworking of the Benizakura Arc from (I think) season 2. It's the first really serious arc of the show, although there is also a fair amount of comedy in the arc (maybe the reviewer just didn't notice, I don't know). The Benizakura Arc is one of the best story arcs in all of Gintama.

Because Gintama is, as Lord Geo says, about 80 percent silly and 20 percent serious, for me the serious dramatic arcs are very welcome as part of the series as a whole. They make me appreciate the characters more. Somehow, when you see characters that usually make you laugh suddenly in dark and dramatic situations, you're even more afraid for them than you would be for characters in an all-drama series.

For everyone who's not seen Gintama yet, I think the movie would be a great introduction to the Gintama universe.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Gintama-I haven't seen the movie (yet), and I wish you'd discussed the script changes in the dub. I heard the acting is mediocre, but the dialogue is hilarious, and seeing as you're a big fan of changing the script to make it funnier and more accessible to Americans, (Sgt. Frog, for example), I'd love to know what you thought about the changes in the funny parts.

That said, Chris Patton sounds nothing like deep-voiced Sugita...I'm really curious how that turned out! I'm also one of those fans that enjoys Gintama's serious arcs. Sunrise saves their money on all those comedy episodes so their action episodes really look spectacular. I'm not a huge fan of action for action's sake, but if it's well choreographed and adds to the characterization it makes for very nice eye candy.

Kids on the Slope-I made a joke on the anime boards that the show fails a reverse-gender Bechdel test and no one seemed to get it. All these boys talk about is relationships and it. Gets. So. Damned. Boring! The music is important (although I'm right with you with how frustrating it is that none of the girls play instruments, or even sing), but it takes up maybe 10% of any given episode.

Here we have interesting characters with rich backgrounds and beautiful music set in a novel time period. The animation is stunning. And every episode is "I like her, but she likes him, and he likes someone else!" *angst* followed by a temper tantrum or tears. Rinse, repeat. The most interesting parts (such as important characters' back stories) are told via short flashbacks. I still like the show, and I find the obvious fujoshi undercurrent hilarious (if the girls are so hard to deal with, Kaoru & Sentarou could just ditch 'em and run off together! They basically did in one particularly good episode), but it's not living up to its potential.

Interestingly, it's sister Noitamina show, tsuritama, has excellent character development and portrayal of platonic male friendships without subtext. The relationships in tsuritama by episode 8 feel so much deeper and better earned than the relationships in KotS. Not bad for a silly sci fi show about fishing!

(Yeah, I know hating on KotS is unpopular and saying tsuritama is better-well, at least in the relationship developing aspect-is probably sacrilege. There's still a couple episodes of both shows to go off with a blaze of glory!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5