• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling we're no closer to an uncut release than we were before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Mainly because no one actually cares about this show.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Considering the supposed legal snafu with Yuugi's actor an uncut release in the States would be unlikely anyway.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Good Bye piece of crap 4Kids. I hope NO ONE like you every exists again.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

And we never will. Who will spend the money to redub an anime that's already been finished? And the anime is 4kids, it's not aimed to adults that care for uncut anime. Those two reason put together make it where we won't. At least we'll be getting a video release some time.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
The manga is better anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope it gets an immaculate uncut release just so people can stop talking about Yugioh, forever.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Considering the supposed legal snafu with Yuugi's actor an uncut release in the States would be unlikely anyway.

First time I've heard of this.. care to explain?

Daimao Raki wrote:
The manga is better anyway.

Seems irrelevant as Viz edited the manga as well, though many people prefer the anime as it fleshed out the characters more and expanded on the story. Not to mention GX, 5Ds, and ZeXal are anime-only.

Vata Raven wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

And we never will. Who will spend the money to redub an anime that's already been finished? And the anime is 4kids, it's not aimed to adults that care for uncut anime. Those two reason put together make it where we won't. At least we'll be getting a video release some time.

One Piece is a children's show as well, and that got an 'uncut' dub (if you ignore typical Funimation rewrites)

Last edited by TitanXL on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Seconded. But I would have to add that request to a lot of shows.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

It actually involved Bakura's first actress, You Inoue, and her estate. They were the ones who had issues with the subbed release, which is why it was canned. That's the basic gist of it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

What makes you believe that? What makes you think SABAN or KONAMI would bother with an uncut release?

Quote:

The reason we've gotten a subtitled stream of the GX, 5Ds, and (I believe) Zexal and NOT of Duel Monsters is because Yugi's Japanese voice actor pushed the red button when 4Kids DID attempt to stream it (there were issues with his agency preventing his voice from being streamed without extra royalties). It's also the reason his voice is muted in cameos in future shows.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

http://ravegrl.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/4kids-youtube-removal-of-yu-gi-oh-episodes-was-due-to-nonrenewal-of-japanese-voice-actors-contract-by-adk/
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The reason we've gotten a subtitled stream of the GX, 5Ds, and (I believe) Zexal and NOT of Duel Monsters is because Yugi's Japanese voice actor pushed the red button with 4Kids kids DID attempt to stream it (there were issues with his agency preventing his voice from being streamed without extra royalties). It's the reason his voice is muted in cameos in future shows.

Extra royalties? No.
4Kids just lost the full rights to the show and couldn't use the voices of the actors without legally being able to do so.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The reason we've gotten a subtitled stream of the GX, 5Ds, and (I believe) Zexal and NOT of Duel Monsters is because Yugi's Japanese voice actor pushed the red button when 4Kids DID attempt to stream it (there were issues with his agency preventing his voice from being streamed without extra royalties). It's also the reason his voice is muted in cameos in future shows.

We never got streamed GX. 5Ds only has some of the episodes, and ZeXal only had the first 10 when fansubs were at episode 55. Not to mention they used dubtitles. Wasn't really worth it.

NJ_ wrote:

I like how the comments are bashing Japan for not 'respecting their worldwide fans' and not 4Kids. If 4Kids gave the show a good dub that didn't cut everything out, change every characters personality and goal, edit out all the plot stuff, and etcetera, then the lack of a Japanese track wouldn't have been as big a deal if the dub was a proper uncut one.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Mainly because no one actually cares about this show.

Maybe you don't, but that doesn't mean others don't. I care about this show. That said:

IMHO, Konami is more likely to just pick up where 4Kids left off. Unless they were to redub the whole thing from the beginning (with "uncut" being irrelevant for the moment), there is no way I can watch this show. Now, I'm not saying they would have to start from JUST the beginning. They could do all 4 shows (original, GX, 5D's, and ZeXal) simultaneously if they wanted, but unless at least the original Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters has a new dub that's more faithful to the Japanese version (if not necessarily "uncut"*); one that's set in Japan, and where (among other things) Shizuka/Serenity/whatever Konami might name her has her eyes saved thanks to "a doctor in Germany", I won't be able to watch it. Believe me, I like this franchise a lot, and I really want to take part in it. In other words, I don't HATE this franchise, just 4Kids' treatment of it. I don't expect a whole lot from anyone who would/could/should have licensed this franchise. All I could possibly expect is that they don't try to make it look as though America is the center of the universe, that's all, but unless Konami is willing to go the extra length to distance the franchise from the 4Kids version, there's just no way I can support it otherwise.

*Even if someone else had licensed Yu-Gi-Oh in the first place, there are still certain things that would have still had to be done for practical reasons. For instance, I can still understand Harpy Lady's costume still being modified from the original, or "player killers" still being called "eliminators". Indeed, they could still even use the North American card names (including the Destiny Board cards still spelling "F-I-N-A-L" instead of "D-E-A-T-H"), just as long as it's as faithful to the Japanese version as BS&P/FCC regulations would allow.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5