• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
More on Raijin Going Monthly

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:09 am Reply with quote
Hi All,

I've been working on a new manga column for this site, and while doing various research I discovered a bit more on the whole Raijin issue. As many of you know, Raijin has switched from a weekly to a monthly format. What it boils down to is the North American manga scene still isn't ready for a weekly anthology. With the huge subscribtion price and relative limited availability it was difficult to get an audience to leap into the fray.

Going monthly will bring in a larger audience, thanks to a smaller yearly subscription price. For those who are worried about the series getting behind, Gutsoon is planning an agressive release schedule for its graphic novels. It's also important to note that the decision to go monthly was not done as a last resort, but was something they had been planning for at least the last 2 months. There was some concern amongst the fans that the move to a monthly format was a hasty decision to try and stop the failure of Raijin. I also know among various manga circles, people are already predicting the death of Gutsoon in North America. The fact of the matter is they are quite commited to bringing quality manga to North America, and will do everything they can to keep the magazine and the graphic novel lines going in North America.

Hope this helps!

Allen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1