• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL on Cartoon Network in August

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I belive this is a really good sign as far as variety of anime being shown on tv. I hope cartoon network keeps up the good work. Can't wait to see what anime series they might pick up after braodcasting FLCL.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:35 pm Reply with quote
In the words of the apprentices of an obscure film bootblack, "we like it very much."
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Not once did i think the rumors were true, nor did i know that those at wiliams street had such good taste or umm interesting taste. Now all thats left is to wait and watch the dvds over and over....and vol 3 comes out just intime to watch the whole thing before its on Cartoon Network iSmile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
there will have to be time edits though. since its an OAV with 30 minute episodes, instead of 24 with time for commercials.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Could they modify it a bit?
I mean if you watch the time, its often worse then 24 minutes, it can be done at 24 past the hour, with commericals. I know that some of the runins are like that and it might be possible to cut some of the filler and get the full time. Of course they could make it so the eps are 24 each and have an extra episode at the end.
Who knows though. William Street will do what it wants. But, maybe there is hope for more Gainax. Uncut Eva on AS. Imagine the increase in psychotic incidents after the show is on. I should buy stock in anti-psychotic drug stocks now.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:24 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Uncut Eva on AS.

That day can't come fast enough. : drools :
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:14 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
there will have to be time edits though. since its an OAV with 30 minute episodes, instead of 24 with time for commercials.
they could run it as movie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:26 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

I have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure that the first five episodes are twenty-five minutes long. The final one may be a bit longer, though...

We'll just have to see what they do. But don't expect a "movie" format--at least the first time around.

-Miagi
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:54 pm Reply with quote
What this really may mean through, is that some really fine OVA's may come. I want Samurai X, THE BEST OVA EVER. Stupid American name though. For those who don't know, this is the story of how Kenshin became a wanderer, and deals with the flashbacks of the Vengeance Arc, which was not animated. The Anime diverages in Kyoto from the Manga. The anime came out too quickly, and wanted a more light hearted show opposed to the tragedy of the Kenshin's third Arc. Thus the bastard (and racist) ninja Arc. Other OVAs may come too. RoD, Ah My goddess, and maybe a short Gainax like Abeno. Of course dealing with Mune maybe a problem. Not to mention a certain cross-dresser.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
i'm just praying they don't cut the outro. besides they shouldn't have to since there no intro, plus they showed the one for Kikaider.

LOL i was just on another board, and someone said they don't wanna see it cause it seems like a typical cookie cutter anime, man are people gonna get a big surprise
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:42 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
plus they showed the one for Kikaider.

Was that the original ending? It looks like something CN quickly threw together. All it is is a clip from on of the episodes, unchanged, with credits running over it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
v1cious wrote:
plus they showed the one for Kikaider.

Was that the original ending? It looks like something CN quickly threw together. All it is is a clip from on of the episodes, unchanged, with credits running over it.

Emerje

i don't know. it's possible, but it seems kinda unorthodox. why would cartoon Network would make an edit job that long?not to mention it spoils the whole series.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:56 am Reply with quote
They did it for Kenshin, and shortened DBZ's everytime. Heck, Kenshin had a beautiful opening and closing that accentuated the series perfectly.
arxane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:16 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i don't know. it's possible, but it seems kinda unorthodox. why would cartoon Network would make an edit job that long?not to mention it spoils the whole series.

I dunno, but I can tell you the ending you saw on Cartoon Network was not the original ending:

- The ending song is called "Destiny", and after listening to it I can tell you that it's not the song found on the CN ending.

- Bandai didn't translate the credits on the ending. Rather they left the Japanese credits untranslated and add English credits at the very end of the DVDs (from a reviewer at AoD).

However, this isn't the first time CN did this kind of ending. When "The Big O" was on Toonami, they took the show's battle theme, "Stand a Chance", and made a custom ending with clips from the show.

Still, you're right. Using clips with that many spoilers is bizarre. Maybe they wanted to hook as many people as possible early on so people didn't think the show was stupid just because of the artwork.
Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:27 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I dunno, but I can tell you the ending you saw on Cartoon Network was not the original ending:

- The ending song is called "Destiny", and after listening to it I can tell you that it's not the song found on the CN ending.

- Bandai didn't translate the credits on the ending. Rather they left the Japanese credits untranslated and add English credits at the very end of the DVDs (from a reviewer at AoD).

However, this isn't the first time CN did this kind of ending. When "The Big O" was on Toonami, they took the show's battle theme, "Stand a Chance", and made a custom ending with clips from the show.

Still, you're right. Using clips with that many spoilers is bizarre. Maybe they wanted to hook as many people as possible early on so people didn't think the show was stupid just because of the artwork.

True. The ending theme for Kikaider (not 01) is Destiny by Yui Horie.
This similar to what happened with Big O and .hack//SIGN (except they just shortened the ED) and other anime that have been of Bandai's releases. Wonder why this is?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2