• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sanrio, DC Comics, and Disney Sue Party Company For Copyright Infringement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
What next, Hello Kitty pencil cases?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
TaiChiChasers wrote:
What next, Hello Kitty pencil cases?

they have spoiler[hello kitty vibrators] so I don't see why not "they are official licensed product fyi"lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Does copyright really work like that? Can I make a Batman movie and just say in small font on the poster that it is totally not actually batman since it is copyrighted? I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work like that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't this put just about every cosplay in jeopardy of being sued for the same thing?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Doesn't this put just about every cosplay in jeopardy of being sued for the same thing?

Unless you're using your cosplay for direct profit, then I wouldn't think so.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Isn't cash prizes given to winners of competitions these days?
Starre257

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Winning a cash prize in a competition isn't the same as having an actual business based around profiting off of copyrighted characters.

I Google'd up their website, it looks like Nickelodeon should get in on this as well...

Also, I wonder if they're going to go after the people who do this stuff in Times Square? They really should, and they need to get the owners of Sesame Street in on it, too. Creepy-looking bootleg Elmos everywhere...
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
lol what? Jason Lancaster from Mayday Parade/Go Radio?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

If we punish one guy breaking the law then we'll have to punish EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER DONE

So so so sick of this argument.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

if you distirbute free movies online through bit-torrent does that exclude you from being sued by the MPAA? whether you made a profit or not is irrelevant though courts are supposed to take that into consideration; but when jerks ask for 2million in damages for using a children's costume look-a-like do you think that's going to happen?

I am getting sick of this reading about this garbage. someone needs to change to law to make C&D letters MANDATORY before asking for stupid amounts of money.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
no company cares about cosplay. even if they can technically sue you, they won't waste time or money on you.

They just don't want you to make money off their products.

This case is very similar Square Enix against counterfeit FF weapons seller.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-25/square-enix-wins-$600000-from-unlicensed-sword-sellers

That company is clearly selling counterfeit costumes.
Easy win for DC and Disney.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

if you distirbute free movies online through bit-torrent does that exclude you from being sued by the MPAA? whether you made a profit or not is irrelevant though courts are supposed to take that into consideration; but when jerks ask for 2million in damages for using a children's costume look-a-like do you think that's going to happen?

I am getting sick of this reading about this garbage. someone needs to change to law to make C&D letters MANDATORY before asking for stupid amounts of money.

You don't get it.
No, MPAA has no right to sue me for distributing movies. It's up to the movie company.

If the anime/movie companies don't want to sue me, but want another company who is selling counterfeit dvd is totally ok.

You can't make a law to force companies to sue every individuals.
rookie_one
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We do not and have never carried any other companies copyrighted/trademark characters. At parties and most of the time our characters act more like clowns.

he apparently is also an expert holiday lighting installer.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

If we punish one guy breaking the law then we'll have to punish EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER DONE

So so so sick of this argument.

What our dear leader is trying to say is that most IP holders don't go after cosplayers or the fandom in general for a few distinct reasons.

1. The litigation fees would be catastrophically enormous if they went after every single lawbreaker, from the Artist Alley to the casual cosplayer. Hell, half of deviantArt would cease to exist if the IP holders were litigious bastards.
2. It's not quite a good idea to go after the folks that provide the revenue stream AND free PR. Of course, some IP holders do screw the fans in other less litigious ways.....
3. They don't know about it, and pretty much have better things to do than go after some basement dwelling kids for a small return.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

For copyright infringement: no, clothing is not covered.

Trademark's a bit trickier because a design can be covered, but the design has to be exact.

Sadly, some lawyers (and people around here) think just because something looks similar, it's infringement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2