• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima Release Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait! Even though everyone says the manga is better (which is almost always the case), I know it should be good. After all, there must be some good reason it's #4 on "TV Asahi's Top 100 Anime".
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them both, but compared to the manga, the anime is a piece of crap.
XCTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
thats true, but at least its getting exposure over here. It had some good episodes and decent parts.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was quick...I think the last episode aired last summer. If prices are good, I'll pick this up--on its own, Negima TV is a decent somewhat-loli, somewhat-etchi comedy, and I'd be curious to see what they do with the English version, and to see professional subs--even the best fansub group on the show had "issues." Still, no word from Funi as to running time...I'd be curious to know if Negima will be 6, 7, or 8 discs. Too bad 4-5 isn't likely.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Considering Funi's recent releases, 26 episodes will probably get 6 or 7 discs. Fullmetal Alchemist (51 eps) is getting 13 (same as the Japanese release, incidently), Gunslinger girl (13 eps) got three, Burst Angel (24 eps) is getting 6 (plus one for the OVA)... Seeing Funi's tendancy to prefer nice round numbers most of the time, 6 discs would probably be my bet. And 6 discs for 26 episodes isn't bad at all, really. 6 for 24 is a nice round 4 eps to a disc, after all.

...or I suppose I could just go ask how many discs it is. >_>
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
According to someone at AnimeonDVD, Funi said it would be 6 or 7 discs. 6 discs would allow each OP to have a disc, while 7 would allow all the R2 covers to be used.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I know Funi has nice dubs (like what they did with Kiddy Grade) but what I want to raise is this.

Why the hell do they have to put English OP & ED songs???

I don't see the point in changing the language of the songs from Original Japanese to English.

IMO, they should just not do anything with the songs and leave it as is. It is cheaper, saves time and sounds better.

This is the main reason why I don't like it when Funi makes the English versions of anime programs.

Other than that, their dubs and other things are okay.

What do you guys say?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression they dont do it anymore?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I believe they stopped doing it early last year or late 2004.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I believe they stopped doing it early last year or late 2004.

Yeah. That's why FMA still has their original OP & ED; for good reasons: they rock!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
Some people like having English versions of the songs. As long as they have the rights, they always include the original themes also so if you don't like the English version you don't have to listen to it, just switch tracks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't wait! Even though everyone says the manga is better (which is almost always the case), I know it should be good. After all, there must be some good reason it's #4 on "TV Asahi's Top 100 Anime".

Meh I was gonna buy it but found out it wasn't selling anywhere so I settled for the fansub a while back...I was hoping for maybe something like Love Hina but they really slacked on the storyline for this one. Don't expect anything great, although the animation is beautiful (and the characters are drawn perfectly). I haven't read the manga but seeing only the anime I don't even see a focused storyline. It's pretty random overall and the central conflict (if there is even one) comes at the last 3 episodes...

It's still fun to watch though even if the episodes primarily only contain schoolgirls screwing around and thinking about the people they like...tossing a little half-assed magic occasionally >_>
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Some people like having English versions of the songs. As long as they have the rights, they always include the original themes also so if you don't like the English version you don't have to listen to it, just switch tracks.

Well, it it tends to ruin my experience when I have to switch from Japanese to english (after the song ends) which for me, is a little bit of an inconvenience (since I do this for each episode of that show).

Just like what Animax Asia did when they showed Astro Boy. At first, they showed it in orig Japanese w/subtitles and had an OP that was sung by Zone.

Then after a few months, they aired the Eng. version and to my surprise, the OP and ED credits were changed too. Yikes.

But going back,
I do admit though there are a few exceptions (such as Pokemon and El Hazard: Wanderers NA version), the changing of songs from the original language can tend to ruin one's viewing experience IMO.

But never mind.

Since it was mentioned that Funi stopped using English songs, I guess that it's a good relief.

Now, I don't have to worry about studios/distros ruining anime songs then sending them back to Japan before re-distributing to TV stations in the rest of the world.

Nothing to worry about for now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I agree--I actually kinda liked the Fruits Basket songs, and it's not like the Sailor Moon days when the only way you could get the Japanese version of the songs was on fansubs (prior to the sub-only releases in 2003, that is). Really, how is the experience "ruined" by having to press the "Audio" button on the DVD remote to switch audio languages, or just setting the audio to English and skipping past the songs? Rolling Eyes
xvkarbear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
Why the hell do they have to put English OP & ED songs???

You sound like a nit picker. No offense meant.

If you're going to watch it in english, then why SHOULDN'T the songs be in english? It sure makes sense to me. I think it shows Funi's attention to detail and a complete english experence.

I honestly think it's kind of cool. Not everyone did it.. and now nearly no one does. If you want to listen to the japanese opening.. then watch it in japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2