• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The 08th MS Team BD Box to Add New Short Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
08th MS Team was a great OVA. Sadly, I don't think the new special will ever come out here. What a shame...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
Article wrote:
The 26,250-yen (US$330) set will include the anime series' 12 episodes (including the epilogue special)

Ugh. The show really suffers for having that bizarre epilogue. Not that I'm going to be buying this Japanese release mind you. But if I was, I wouldn't want to be paying for such a bad epilogue. No freaking way.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, and I just bought the complete set on DVD.

Why did Bandai have to announce halting home video releases NOW?!

This is by far the best completed Universal Century OVA series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Oh my God, and I just bought the complete set on DVD.

For what it's worth, you have my condolences.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Someone for the love of god rescue the Gundam series here so we can have this.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Pretty sure there will be no traditional domestic rescue for Gundam. Looks like we are most likely stuck with the "official import" model.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Article wrote:
The 26,250-yen (US$330) set will include the anime series' 12 episodes (including the epilogue special)

Ugh. The show really suffers for having that bizarre epilogue. Not that I'm going to be buying this Japanese release mind you. But if I was, I wouldn't want to be paying for such a bad epilogue. No freaking way.

True, the epilogue (if you are referring to episode 12) is weak, but it does not ruin this Very Good series. And the price is not terrible. With the usual amazon.co.jp price discount plus shipping, it would come out at less than $300.

If it were at least subbed, this would be a tempting import for me.

EDIT: Just checked the price, and it would come out at about US$268, with shipping included.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The show really suffers for having that bizarre epilogue. Not that I'm going to be buying this Japanese release mind you. But if I was, I wouldn't want to be paying for such a bad epilogue. No freaking way.

The epilogue is bad, but I'd argue the ending to the story proper is pretty bad too. It's full of cheesy melodrama and super-robot camera shots when what made this series unique was its effort at making giant robots seem "realistic".

The lead is pretty bad, too. Gundam protagonists are often naive but this one stubbornly stays that way even as he gets people killed with his behavior spoiler[and at the end he just abandons everyone to run off with his bland love interest.]
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Pretty sure there will be no traditional domestic rescue for Gundam. Looks like we are most likely stuck with the "official import" model.

There HAS to be a way to get it rescued. 08th MS Team is a well known Gundam series, as are G Gundam and Wing, and they deserve to be rereleased here. Sunrise is a bunch of idiots that don't know what they're doing, and they need to be convinced that not every person in the US can afford to "just import" their releases like Unicorn. I think it'll be a matter of time before someone can get a hold of Gundam here, it's just the fact that they have no idea how to market it overseas.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, we've entered into the stage where it being rescued means BandaiNamco would likely be doing it themselves, selling us their product directly at their Japanese price points. There's little chance the "50 buck BD sets for us, 300 for them" is going to continue. Or, we wait a couple of years. They don't need "everyone" in the US to buy a copy of their series, at $250+ they only need about a fifth of their normal number to make the same profit, so they target the upper end of the buying spectrum, those who will pay those prices with alluring box sets.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
I LOVE the 08th MS Team to bits and it's probably one of my favorite Gundam titles, but given how hideous and awful the bonus episode we already got was I'm a little torn as to whether I want this or not! I'll try not to let my pessimism reign and just be excited to see the characters animated again. I wonder if Aina and Ghinias will be in it?
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:

Proof?
spoiler[I know what you're getting at but that's still a pretty big assumption.]
FigNewton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
FigNewton wrote:

Proof?
spoiler[I know what you're getting at but that's still a pretty big assumption.]

I recall, but cannot find, a report from a recent convention this year, I think from a Sunrise panel, that if more Gundam were to be released here, it would be under an Aniplex like model. Maybe someone else can help out with the reference but my lunch break is nearly over and I'm out of time to search. So feel free to take my recollection with a grain of salt.

That said I recognize even saying "the Aniplex model" isn't very specific since their releases have ranged from the the relatively expensive JP priced Fate/Zero to much more reasonably priced selections like Baccano.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:
I recall, but cannot find, a report from a recent convention this year, I think from a Sunrise panel, that if more Gundam were to be released here, it would be under an Aniplex like model. Maybe someone else can help out with the reference but my lunch break is nearly over and I'm out of time to search. So feel free to take my recollection with a grain of salt.
I don't have a hard source either, but I heard the same thing on the Anime World Order podcast.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
this is really cool can't wait to see it. I wonder, if this does well will the Blue Destiny manga get an anime adaption? we do have several cast member due to the Gundam vs Extreme series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3