• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon - Tokyopop Cross Promote

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
That's odd. I thought Viz had the license for the Ueki manga.
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7885
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
That's odd. I thought Viz had the license for the Ueki manga.
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7885

Well, the follow-up stated that Viz was unable to confirm it. It's interesting that a Shogakukan manga title would go to anyone but Viz in this day and age, but I guess Viz just wasn't interested in releasing it in America. Even still, cross promotion is fun.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, TP and Geneon's staffers grew brains!

Good strategy. Took them long enough.
Angel Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually....I noticed this happening when I read the second volume of Saiyuki reload not to long ago. There's an ad for the 6th DVD for the anime in the back.....
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as two Geneon marketing people used to be TOKYOPOP marketing people, this is not much of a surprise. Smile
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Lupin is part of the cross-promotions, and, if it is, I hope Tokyopop doesn't end up using Geneon's hideous Lupin logo! There are several chapters of the World's Most Wanted manga that correspond to episodes of the 2nd TV series that Geneon is releasing (and some correspond with the first manga series).

I was thinking that a cool extra on the DVDs of a Geneon show that has a Tokyopop manga would be a slide show style preview of the first chapter of the manga! I don't know if they would be able to legally do that, however.
Truth_Teller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
Seeing as two Geneon marketing people used to be TOKYOPOP marketing people, this is not much of a surprise. Smile

Yup, not a surprise there. It's Tokyopop's lost for having them leave and in turn join Geneon. They're both great people. Btw, this sort of cross promotion is not that new. TP and Bandai were doing it since the .hack days when Twilight was coming out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize Elemental Gerad(e) was licensed. I guess I'll just watch an episode or three and then delete the rest. That should be enough to make a decision.

I'm really not interested in the rest of the titles. I was hoping they may have had some info on Ichigo Mashimaro (anime), but no such luck.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Now will Tokyopop pick up Shakugan no Shana? The novels or manga would be fine.....

Both would be better.
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I thought Geneon already got Shakugan no Shana?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

Geneon has the anime. I am hoping that Tokyopop gets the novels and manga that the anime is based on.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
They're already doing this sort of thing in the UK with MVM teaming up with Tokyopop to do a special box set of Ikki Tousen which features Volume 1 of the anime as well as the first volume of the manga and I believe the UK DVD also has a reversible cover like the US release...
Mocca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
That is so cool. Can't wait till it comes out. I'm dying for it in anime series and manga. I'll buy it once it's out. The series is GREAT!
Talon87

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
midori kou wrote:

Geneon has the anime. I am hoping that Tokyopop gets the novels and manga that the anime is based on.
... have you gone to a bookstore in the last 6 months, or am I totally missing something? >_> I purchased my Viz-licensed copy of the Shana light novel this summer, and the first volume of the manga had been on the store shelves for months prior to the light novel's release.

In other words ... the license is already acquired. But your words make it sound like you weren't aware of that. If you've been waiting for the novel to show up, be sure to check out the bookstores in your area again -- and if they don't have it, order it online. Like here.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
... have you gone to a bookstore in the last 6 months, or am I totally missing something? >_>

The only thing you missed is that this thread is about a year old and that the person above you revived it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2