• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi OVA 3 Licensed?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoGoDelfin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Funimation already has a page on its website advertising Tenchi Muyo GXP, with a 2004 release date.
Case

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote
GoGoDelfin wrote:
Funimation already has a page on its website advertising Tenchi Muyo GXP, with a 2004 release date.

GXP is an independant side-story that has already been aired in Japan. We already know it's been licensed.

The OAV hasn't even been released in Japan, yet, last I knew. It's a completely different animal.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:07 pm Reply with quote
GoGoDelfin wrote:

The article isn't about GXP. It's about the 3rd OVA series anime#922

GXP is only mentionned because the uninformed questioner asked "Do you plan to license the TM gxp or 3rd OVA's" and the original response was unclear. Taken one way, the response means "FUNi has GXP", which we already know and is hardly newsworthy. Taken the otehr way, it means "FUNi has the 3rd OVA."

However the clarification was clearly about the 3rd series, and came pretty damn clsoe to saying that FUNi has the series. That's what why the story was posted.

-T
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that ANN spent a good deal fo time contacting people to check various things.

We needed an official statement from FUNi, even a "no comment" and we got it... unfortunately a "no comment" is what we got.

We also needed to verify what the Pioneer rep actually said, "Itty Bits" isn't a known factor to us and we couldn't take its reliability for granted. At first we were trying to contact Pioneer directly for confirmation, but Glenn Schmall came through for us.

One of the interesting things about online news is that we can post news the instant it becomes available... but when it comes to dealing with murky things like rumours, bad quotes, or 3rd party comments (ie: Pioneer talking about FUNimation) it becomes necessary to wait for some sort of official word from the party in question. The result is that we may easilly be a day or two "behind" on news like this (in this case we were about 16 hours late), but at least we have something a bit more concrete.

The importance of this wasn't always clear to me, and in the past I've made some mistakes by posting things without getting clarification from the party in question.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:21 pm Reply with quote
A lot of this news surrounding the 3rd OVA for Tenchi goes back to AX. Henri Goto was asked a very similar question at Anime Expo, and his answer was basically that they don't have it and they won't be getting it either. The funny thing was the question from San Diego Comic Con was phrased in a similar fashion, confusing GXP and the 3rd OVA.

After a bit of clarification from Kevin Chu, it was clear that Henri Goto did basically say that Pioneer would not be getting the 3rd OVA. As for who would be in the running, with their foot in the door with GXP, FUNimation is definitely the front runner. They have a good relationship with AIC and VAP and are notoriously bad at holding off on announcements of picking up titles. They sat on Detective Conan for a while, and since the "official" announcements of One Piece and GXP have said little about those series.

We could also be in a situation similar to what's going on with Macross Zero where one company rep decided to poke fun at the rumor mongering and sent fans and the press running around asking other companies for confirmation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
That's what concerns me. I do not believe that FUNimation has the passion for the series that Pioneer did, much like Pioneer didn't have the interest in Ah! My Goddess that Animeigo did. Having more money does not mean that it'll be a better product.

Oh, bull. Hard work is hard work. And for what it's worth, I think FUNi's work on YYH and Furuba is at least on par with anything Pioneer was putting out at the time. I don't see, logically, how working on it first and doing a good job creates any kind of "passion".

You're right about one thing, though: Pioneer has set a pretty high bar for the series, and they managed to garner a relatively impressive fanbase along the way. That's going to *have* to be a major consideration for anyone who chooses to license the 3rd series - whether or not particular things will be affected, such as voice cast, is hard to know, but it will definitely mean good things in the greater scheme of things.

And so, I can't help but believe that your worrying is unwarrented, and your passionate attitude isn't doing anything but putting your blood pressure to the test.

They probably understand these issues even better than you do. Just let them do their thing, and wait to pass judgement until after you've had a chance to try their final product on for size.

Razz
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:41 am Reply with quote
The big thing is, whether or not if Funi gets it, if they do it in house or send it to the people who have done every other Tenchi work. Network, is Tenchi, every single piece of Tenchi that has been released in this country went thru them. The did a pretty good job, and matched voices well. Plus, they are Union. (Ok so is Funi, but the Canucks aren't.) Ocean is getting better about finding bums to voice people, but still match poorly. Funi can be alright, but I know one friend who saw the first few episodes of YYH and refuses to watch it anymore because of what they did to Kurbara and her "Hiei-sama".
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:01 pm Reply with quote
This is a reply to the locked thread.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
As I recall, they never confirmed a commitment to bringing back the original dub cast of Tenchi Muyo for their GXP dub.

Quite the contrary. At Anime Central, FUNimation's rep said (as exact as I can remember) "We understand that voice continuity is very important to the fans and we are not looking to change voice actors."

What I read from this is that the existing Tenchi cast will be their first choice for those roles, but that they can't guarantee anything.

------RM
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:13 am Reply with quote
THe tenchi OAV... directed by Shichi Watanabe, the genius behind Excel Saga, Lupin the Third: Fujiko's Unlucky days, and Tokyo Pig.... If they ruin it I may stage a small scale tacticle strikes.... However if they ruin One Piece workers will be finding fingers and other appendages in odd places... like meat grinders and wood chippers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1