• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-03]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
That kitty looks spooky.

Yeah, if you're going to go into voice acting, you may want to consider a second job, like live acting. Kirby Morrow's doing it and whatnot.

And whoever asked the culture question, 1,000 points of respect to you! Very Happy
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with you about Vincent D'Onofrio. I consider him one of those irreplaceable actors, no one else could pull off half the stuff he does on CI.
I disagree with you on the crime dramas though, I very rarely come across a TV show that's not a crime drama that's worth watching. If it weren't for crime dramas and Fullmetal Alchemist I wouldn't watch TV at all.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Are you sure it was just one line of "hobbits et al," because when I see it it's usually copypasta'd about 200 times in a row.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Good luck on doing the acting! But, keep in mind that for every person that "makes it," hundreds do not. Get that college education: Major in Theatre if you want, but, make your parents happy Rolling Eyes Laughing and get a secondary major in something solid to use as a back-up plan.

I've seen somewhere else (forget where, sorry) that one thing to do is to PRACTICE Exclamation doing different voices. The more variety you have, the better your chances.

Also, if you live near one of the studios, keep an eye for open casting calls. That's also a good way to try, but you'll have to be near the studio, if they call, they'll probably want you there as quickly as possible. (again, forgot where I saw this. Apoligies to the original writer)

Like I said Good Luck and All The Best in your chosen field!
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think this guy is screwing with me; it's the same guy who sent me that Total Recall email a few weeks back.

THEY'RE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO ISENGARD

Indeed they are! And you should consider taking whatever medicine that's been prescribed to you.

I believe those are references to You're the Man Now, Dog submissions (www.ytmnd.com), it's a funny site, stop by when you got time to kill. There are a couple anime-related vids too, just enter "anime" in the search.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
I think classifying all Shounen Jump as "lower culture" material is a tad extreme; though people could even argue "One Piece" as "the top of the bottom" in terms of entertainment quality, titles like "Death Note" come to mind; not much action with a huge amount of talking, but surprising depth to the story. Then again, Jump has a ton of titles, and Death Note may merely be the exception; I mean, outside of OP, Naruto, HNG or DN, do people *really* know what Jump consists of?

...and what's with the high reverence for FMA? It's a good series, no doubt, but nothing so extraordinary as to deserve such special merit.
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
When are the corrections to last week's column going to be made? It still says Pioneer dubbed the first 67 episodes of DBZ and doesn't mention the Trigun movie.
Kuroki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can only polish a turd so much.

Cookies for you Zac, for quoting Santino! Anime smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
GreatSaiyaman777 wrote:
When are the corrections to last week's column going to be made? It still says Pioneer dubbed the first 67 episodes of DBZ and doesn't mention the Trigun movie.

I'm sorry, when was it promised that I'd go back and change last week's column to make you happy?

The answers are technically correct. Nitpicking and then demanding that changes be made is ridiculous and self-serving.

Pioneer released edited, dubbed editions, and that's what the column is referring to.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I think classifying all Shounen Jump as "lower culture" material is a tad extreme; though people could even argue "One Piece" as "the top of the bottom" in terms of entertainment quality, titles like "Death Note" come to mind; not much action with a huge amount of talking, but surprising depth to the story. Then again, Jump has a ton of titles, and Death Note may merely be the exception; I mean, outside of OP, Naruto, HNG or DN, do people *really* know what Jump consists of?

...and what's with the high reverence for FMA? It's a good series, no doubt, but nothing so extraordinary as to deserve such special merit.

I don't like the whole idea of "low/medium/high culture" myself, because it seems to be an excuse for snobby elitist jerks to act like snobby elitist jerks-it's basically an academic excuse for the whole "That's popular, so it must SUCK" phase most of us outgrow about the time we get our driver's liscences. Obviously Jerry Springer isn't going to be as good as Shakesphere, but to act like entertainment exists in some sort of set-in-stone pecking order is ridiculous.

That said, if we have to rank them this way, I'd have to say I agree with putting Death Note in the middle tier-along with Hikaru No Go, another Jump manga with a great deal of debth, drama, and absolutly no fighting.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

I don't like the whole idea of "low/medium/high culture" myself, because it seems to be an excuse for snobby elitist jerks to act like snobby elitist jerks-it's basically an academic excuse for the whole "That's popular, so it must SUCK" phase most of us outgrow about the time we get our driver's liscences.

I don't think that's fair. I think that attitude villifies anyone who dares say that hey, anime is not the be all end all and that there are works of art and literature and music out there that have much deeper and more significant things to say.

It's easy to just hate on everyone who says that anime is "low" art but at the end of the day, not everyone who suggests that anime isn't perfection is trying to be a 'snobby elitist jerk'.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, normally I hate procedual crime drama shows; there are so many of 'em, and they're all basically the same.

Answerman hates Hagure Keiji and Omiya Iri!!
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

I don't like the whole idea of "low/medium/high culture" myself, because it seems to be an excuse for snobby elitist jerks to act like snobby elitist jerks-it's basically an academic excuse for the whole "That's popular, so it must SUCK" phase most of us outgrow about the time we get our driver's liscences.

I don't think that's fair. I think that attitude villifies anyone who dares say that hey, anime is not the be all end all and that there are works of art and literature and music out there that have much deeper and more significant things to say.

You said it yourself, anime is a medium, not a genre. There are some works of art and literature and music that are deeper then some anime, just like there are some anime that are deeper then some works of art and literature and music. Anyone that would say all art, literature, and music have deeper meanings then all anime deserves to be vilified.

I also have to agree with Wyvern about it being snobby though. I don't understand the letter writer's culture levels though, what exactly places "Project Runway" above wrestling? I thought most reality shows were considered to be very lowbrow. I don't really understand any of his middle culture level at all. "The Simpsons" has been rapidly decreasing in quality for years. What makes it deserve a place there? And what's so great about "The Sopranos" and the "Lord of the Rings" movies? And what makes classical music better then jazz? I also didn't get this quote at all:

Quote:
Whether or not you agree with the system is not the point, since we will all inevitably have issues with this compartmentalizing.

So...the system may be flawed but don't complain? I'm also confused by his comment that you can chart American culture, then goes on to list Shakespeare, classical music, opera, and the Hary Potter books, most of which are not American at all.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
That kitty looks spooky.

I think so too, but that's because it looks just like my kitty Confused It's a Somali, isn't it?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:
Quote:
I think this guy is screwing with me; it's the same guy who sent me that Total Recall email a few weeks back.

THEY'RE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO ISENGARD

Indeed they are! And you should consider taking whatever medicine that's been prescribed to you.

I believe those are references to You're the Man Now, Dog submissions (www.ytmnd.com), it's a funny site, stop by when you got time to kill. There are a couple anime-related vids too, just enter "anime" in the search.

Actually, that was a music video. If that's not ironic enough, it used to be in ANN's Channel Topic awhile back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5