• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Breakout Anime Site Provides Users With Suggestions On What To Watch Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
I wish myanimelist and this new thing would import my ANN data >.<. Was using ANN long before MAL existed and never had the urge to re-do my list
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
I wish MAL would develop an algorithm for this, but their current recommendation feature is actually decent for lesser known titles. When people bother to connect two older anime together, it's usually for a better reason than "hurr same voice actors". I try recommend on similar themes, settings, and tones.

But yeah

Quote:
Hummingbird users will register for the site and be asked to rate popular anime titles that they have already seen.

For users that have an existing MyAnimeList.net account with anime titles already pre-rated, they will be given the convenient option of importing their account into Hummingbird, making the transition to this platform simple.

I'm not adding 1700+ titles manually, thank god it can import. The only issue I can see here is you're still more likely to get recommendations for popular things you might already know about but don't want to watch for whatever reason. I doubt any of these work well enough to bring out the old, obscure, and completely buried.

Quote:
That rating system makes it difficult to judge what exactly the user likes and dislikes. However, using a binary rating system, as many seasoned marketers do, makes rating a lot simpler. It is as easy as “Yes, I liked this title.” Or, “No, I was not interested or intrigued by this title at all.”

That's pretty nebulous. I enjoy things and dislike things on a massive scaling spectrum. It's not always a simple yesgood nobad. If I had a third option it would be a high pitched: "Weeeeellll......"
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll try this out of curiosity, but I've always much preferred Anime Planet to any other anime-based recommendation system. They generally have pretty high standards on what's a good recommendation and a bad recommendation, so I've had a lot of luck with that site (although the quality has gone down massively now that they started letting recs be published before being moderated).

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That's pretty nebulous. I enjoy things and dislike things on a massive scaling spectrum. It's not always a simple yesgood nobad. If I had a third option it would be a high pitched: "Weeeeellll......"

Haha, yeah, there's definitely anime I've watched that I think wasn't bad but wouldn't prompt me to want recommendations based on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shsway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
As...interesting as this sounds, are there truly people out there who don't know their own tastes enough that they need such a specialized system for gathering recommendations? I've been watching shows for more than a decade, and I know I haven't even seen everything released domestically that I've had an interest in. Not enough hours in the day, money in the bank account, etc.

Just can't seem to understand folks eternally at a loss over what to watch.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It's not "Oh no, I'm out of things to watch" as much as "this might be interesting." People do things based off recommendations all the time, from preparing new dishes of food, to reading books, watching movies, or whatever. The idea is to give more specifically tailored options.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
looks like i need to pick up the pace with rating things on MAL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1