• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mawaru Penguindrum and Bodacious Space Pirates Released Monday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeOMeek417

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Trust me everyone, do not buy the kaze uk release of penguindrum. They have hardly subbed any on screen text and all the insert songs are completly unsubbed

there is honestly nearly no subbing of text during episode 9 (you know, the awesome trippy episode when himari is in the library which has tons and tons of textual symbolism) which affects the enjoyment of the show, as we all know, in both utena and penguindrum which were both made by kunihiko ikuhara, everything means SOMETHING
BluWacky

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

there is honestly nearly no subbing of text during episode 9 (you know, the awesome trippy episode when himari is in the library which has tons and tons of textual symbolism) which affects the enjoyment of the show, as we all know, in both utena and penguindrum which were both made by kunihiko ikuhara, everything means SOMETHING

Ugh. Seriously? That's rubbish.

Does it use the Sentai Filmworks script? Or a different one?

Why couldn't anyone get PingDrum right? It was bad enough that we weren't getting a BD release, but this as well... is the Australian release okay? Anyone know?
Mangaranga

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
BluWacky wrote:
Quote:

Ugh. Seriously? That's rubbish.

Does it use the Sentai Filmworks script? Or a different one?

Why couldn't anyone get PingDrum right? It was bad enough that we weren't getting a BD release, but this as well... is the Australian release okay? Anyone know?

Sentai's Script isn't so much the problem here, don't get me wrong, they don't have the above issues, it's the spelling mistakes and questionable translations that bug me.
The main problem here is Kaze's inability to author discs correctly. ALL of their releases are like this - they don't seem to have grasped how to display two subtitle streams at once (Signs + Dialogue) which is something so basic it's ridiculous. Along with the 100% locked subtitles and ridiculous compression when it comes to their blurays I try to avoid their terrible releases.

As for getting a Bluray elsewhere, I'd also advise against it since they are 1080i and look awful. The Japanese blurays are 1080p, but both Sentai and Siren appear to have been given either nerfed bluray masters, or the TV masters (the Space Pirates Blurays also suffer from the same problem). To be blunt, all of the current Penguindrum releases in english speaking territories are terrible. If you still really want to own it and want the best of the three, then go for Siren's Bluray. I have read it looks slightly better than Sentai's awful BD (Which I own part 1 of, so I can comment here).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1