• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamisama Kiss Manga to Bundle New Original Anime DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Awww, does this mean there won't be a second season? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Out of all the three shoujos that aired that time, Kamisama was the best imo! Please, let's have a second season after this! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Awww, does this mean there won't be a second season? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Out of all the three shoujos that aired that time, Kamisama was the best imo! Please, let's have a second season after this! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

All three are getting OVAs (Tonari no Kaibutsu kun and Sukitte Ii na Yo too) and none had great sales. Kamisama Hajimemashite had the best sales but I would say that shoujo in general is selling poorly enough these days that we will only see more seasons of shoujo anime when they want to advertise the manga. Somehow the manga sells hundreds of thousands of copies, some very very well and yet it just doesn't translate into disc sales for this genre at this time.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Somehow the manga sells hundreds of thousands of copies, some very very well and yet it just doesn't translate into disc sales for this genre at this time.

The primary market for anime disc sales is young males. Women seem to prefer manga over anime. One way to see this is the difference in sales of DVD and Blu-ray releases. Shows aimed at male otaku tend to see greater BR sales, while shows with more mixed audiences sell better on DVD. The usual explanation is that the male otaku audience is so involved with their hobby that they prefer the more expensive BR collectors' editions. Women, and general audiences, don't have the same disc fetish and buy the cheaper DVDs. Kamisama Hajimemashita follows this pattern.

The manga did see a small bump in sales after the anime aired, but it was nothing like what happened with Chihayafuru. Here are figures for the last volume before each show began airing and the volume that followed:
Code:

Kamisama Hajimemashita
9/17-23 Volume 13 37,075
10/9-15 Volume 14 43,735

Chihayafuru
 9/19-25/11 Volume 14  51,878
12/12-18/11 Volume 15 192,448
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kamisama:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=565825

Volume 15 went got 87k(approximate) first week sales. And it went on to add more:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=569359

It added close to 25k in it's second week. Close to 112k.
So it added close to 70k after it's anime.
TnK and Sukitte were already selling more than 200k per volume but Kamisama was only selling less than 30k yet it also got a 70k boost.

But yes, hpulley, I do know that shoujo manga never sell DVD/BDs...
It doesn't make it any less sad for shoujo fans though...

Sorry for the ramble.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru feels like shoujo but runs in josei Be Love magazine so it isn't technically shoujo. Good bump on the manga.

70K is a good bump, equivalent to about 7K BD sales. That could be enough for another season if they think it needs it. After all, Chihayafuru came back for a second season even though it had poor disc sales.

In the good old days, anime was made to advertise merchandise. I know the discs are the main merchandise these days but if the manga sells well enough and the publisher is a producer as well then they don't care where the money comes from at the end of the day.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Please let this mean the ova will have better quality animation than the tv series, please let the mean the ova will have better quality animation than the tv series, please...
Ginsan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Aw season 2 please! Even till now, I still remember it's ED song <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1