• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 8 -10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Great review! I agree with the fans that say that this is the weakest arc. I was sorta bored with reading it after awhile, but I do like Chibi Usa's and Helios' relationship. It's way better than the anime. The event that woke me up pertaining to this arc was Sailor Moon's new transformation and the ceremony at the end of volume 10. Even though her eternal outfit is my least favorite of her looks so far I can't wait to see the last battle in the next volumes Smile

As for her art: I still love it, but I do agree that Naoko goes crazy with the arms and legs sometimes lol.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Arms and legs are just out of control in the artwork

Oh, yeah.

I was re-reading vol. 10 yesterday and I couldn't help notice how ridiculously long and narrow Usagi's legs were when she transformed into Eternal Sailor Moon. So many noodle limbs that I wanted to boil them and add some tomato sauce for a good meal. She's makes the art from Xxxholic look believable.

I didn't like the Super S/Dark Moon Circus arc mainly because of the villains. The trio (Tiger, Hawk, and Fish Eye) only get one chapter of screentime and are easily disposed of. The Amazon Quartet turn out to be the spoiler[Sailor Planetoids (Chibi Usa's future team)] yet, when we had found about Mamoru's team were really the good guys, they are annihilated and turned to stone. It would have been cool if, while in Elysion, they had found a way to bring them back, but, I guess not. Queen Nehelenia wasn't as intimidating as I hoped but, she was in a mirror for the majority of the arc.

I can't wait for the last two volumes to come out.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
At least that was the only thing about the manga that was similar to the anime. somewhats. it would be rather bizzare for the amazon trio not to turn good

never the less, at least the manga is definitely high pitch. if the success doesnt convinve nako and Toei animation to make the SM remake ala FMA brotherhood, nothing will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It sucks the Amazon Trio's roles were relegated to such easily disposed of villains. At least the anime made them more interesting and gave them some development.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It sucks the Amazon Trio's roles were relegated to such easily disposed of villains. At least the anime made them more interesting and gave them some development.

but it was the only thing that was similar between the anime and manga, in the end they turned good.

Though spoiler[ the amazon trio becoming a part of Chibi Usa's team ] was definitely a shock cause i dont think it actually happened in the anime.

though have yet to see the Stars arc since it was never released in the US. Even more susprised that the villians that turned good during the R arc of both the anime and manga never got the same treatment as the amazon trio.

At least it wasnt like with the 2nd general ( Neflite ) in the beginning of the series. in the manga , he never feel in love with Usagi's best friend.

though people say that the super S series was the weakest , in my opinion is more incomplete than weak.

though in the anime version is was a lot darker. even more than mistress 9's awakening or the eventual battle with her.

probably they never completed the edited version of the Super S series when it showed on CN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Though spoiler[ the amazon trio becoming a part of Chibi Usa's team ] was definitely a shock cause i don't think it actually happened in the anime.

It didn't happen in the anime - they cut that part out. As I recall, most of the complaints I heard back in the day about SuperS were along the lines of "Rini sucks!", but personally I remember thinking that it was just too sugary in general when compared to S. All in all I think the event under discussion really adds to the story, spoiler[especially in Stars.]

Quote:
though have yet to see the Stars arc since it was never released in the US.

It's a doozy. Very Happy I prefer the manga version of it; I think it's ultimately more powerful, particularly as regards the ending. I'll probably review the two Kodansha volumes together, but feel free to start a discussion in the manga forum as they come out!

KENZICHI wrote:
As for her art: I still love it, but I do agree that Naoko goes crazy with the arms and legs sometimes lol.

I love it too, crazy limbs and all. I can't wait for the artbook to be released! Very Happy

I am a little surprised by all of the complaints about the Amazon Trio. Maybe I don't feel attached to them because I initially read the manga first? I was always more captivated by the Amazoness Quartet...
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Though spoiler[ the amazon trio becoming a part of Chibi Usa's team ] was definitely a shock cause i don't think it actually happened in the anime.

It didn't happen in the anime - they cut that part out. As I recall, most of the complaints I heard back in the day about SuperS were along the lines of "Rini sucks!", but personally I remember thinking that it was just too sugary in general when compared to S. All in all I think the event under discussion really adds to the story, spoiler[especially in Stars.]

Quote:
though have yet to see the Stars arc since it was never released in the US.

It's a doozy. Very Happy I prefer the manga version of it; I think it's ultimately more powerful, particularly as regards the ending. I'll probably review the two Kodansha volumes together, but feel free to start a discussion in the manga forum as they come out!

KENZICHI wrote:

I love it too, crazy limbs and all. I can't wait for the artbook to be released! Very Happy

I am a little surprised by all of the complaints about the Amazon Trio. Maybe I don't feel attached to them because I initially read the manga first? I was always more captivated by the Amazoness Quartet...

Yeah; I liked the quartet more. Toei is the one who placed restrictions on the anime's team (More Chibi-Usa; fewer battles). They did the best they could considering and I think fans will be a lot more forgiving of Super S if it's released in three parts by Funimation. Their attitude towards it is harsher because Super S was broken up into much smaller portions in the days of geneon. If it came out as three 13-episode sets, people would be fine with it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
probably they never completed the edited version of the Super S series when it showed on CN.

They did, it was all shown in full.
Nico1924

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The Amazon Trio was just an excuse for more and more filler episodes, none of them getting inspiration from the manga. There is almost nothing similar between the TV and the manga versions, except the characters and the big lines (Nehelenia wants to get Pegasus).

In the anime, the Amazon Trio just hangs in a bar, watching pictures of their victims, go to hunt them "disguised" (and these stupid Sailor Senshis met them several times and never recognized them :S ).

The only development they got was that they wanted to have dreams like humans and Fish Eye helped Usagi and Chibi Usa.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
The Amazon Trio was just an excuse for more and more filler episodes, none of them getting inspiration from the manga. There is almost nothing similar between the TV and the manga versions, except the characters and the big lines (Nehelenia wants to get Pegasus).

In the anime, the Amazon Trio just hangs in a bar, watching pictures of their victims, go to hunt them "disguised" (and these stupid Sailor Senshis met them several times and never recognized them :S ).

The only development they got was that they wanted to have dreams like humans and Fish Eye helped Usagi and Chibi Usa.

One of the more interesting flaws of Super S was its lack of subplots. Sailor Moon always had a subplot or two to keep things interesting outside the main plot. The first arc had Nephrite's romance with Naru, Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask's identity crisis, Mamoru turning evil, the hunt for the silver crystal, and the search for the Moon Princess, and the gathering of the soldiers. R had the Soldiers getting their memories back, Usagi and Mamoru's reunion and breakup, Chibi-Usa's hunt for the silver crystal, etc. S had Haruka and Michiru's search for the holy grail and Hotaru's budding friendship with Chibi-Usa (Not much need for subplots in this one since notably there's a LOT of main plot). Super S' designated subplot took the form of Chibi-Usa and Pegasus' budding relationship. How much could they have moved the plot? Chibi-Usa's just a kid (and far less powerful than she was in the corresponding manga arc; why make the bell her sole weapon?) and Pegasus is an illusion. Not that the brewing conflict is really FELT. The Dead Moon is content to target one person at a time, while its leader and army of monsters faff about (Zirconia's like the Lothor of the Sailor Moon anime), so the closest we get to an 'interesting' subplot is the designated trio villain developing their victim's trap every week while the soldiers faff about and occasionally wonder why a flying horse comes to help them in every fight. Luckily this changes once the Quartet comes and Super S rights itself by having more fights and more episodes to develop the main plot. I like it for what it is, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't.

Last edited by zeo1fan on Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nico1924

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:

One of the more interesting flaws of Super S was its lack of subplots. Sailor Moon always had a subplot or two to keep things interesting outside the main plot. The first arc had Nephrite's romance with Naru, Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask's identity crisis, Mamoru turning evil, the hunt for the silver crystal, and the search for the Moon Princess, and the gathering of the soldiers. R had the Soldiers getting their memories back, Usagi and Mamoru's reunion and breakup, Chibi-Usa's hunt for the silver crystal, etc. S had Haruka and Michiru's search for the holy grail and Hotaru's budding friendship with Chibi-Usa (Not much need for subplots in this one since notably there's a LOT of main plot). Super S' designated subplot took the form of night time Chibi-Usa and Pegasus' budding relationship. How much could they have moved the plot? Chibi-Usa's just a kid (and far less powerful than she was in the corresponding manga arc; why make the bell her sole weapon?) and Pegasus is an illusion. Not that the brewing conflict is really FELT. The Dead Moon is content to target one person at a time, while its leader and army of monsters faff about (Zirconia's like the Lothor of the Sailor Moon anime), so the closest we get to an 'interesting' subplot is the designated trio villain developing their victim's trap every week while the soldiers faff about and occasionally wonder why a flying horse comes to help them in every fight. Luckily this changes once the Quartet comes and Super S rights itself by having more fights and more episodes to develop the main plot. I like it for what it is, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't.

I understand what you mean, and when I was young I enjoyed every single episode of Sailor Moon (except maybe the Dinosaure episode and the recap). Even when the manga was released, I loved both stories in parallel.
Still, I wish a faithful adaptation of the manga would be made because the story is just that great. I deserves its own adaptation and beat the crap out of Madoka Magica!
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Nico1924 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:

One of the more interesting flaws of Super S was its lack of subplots. Sailor Moon always had a subplot or two to keep things interesting outside the main plot. The first arc had Nephrite's romance with Naru, Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask's identity crisis, Mamoru turning evil, the hunt for the silver crystal, and the search for the Moon Princess, and the gathering of the soldiers. R had the Soldiers getting their memories back, Usagi and Mamoru's reunion and breakup, Chibi-Usa's hunt for the silver crystal, etc. S had Haruka and Michiru's search for the holy grail and Hotaru's budding friendship with Chibi-Usa (Not much need for subplots in this one since notably there's a LOT of main plot). Super S' designated subplot took the form of Chibi-Usa and Pegasus' budding relationship. How much could they have moved the plot? Chibi-Usa's just a kid (and far less powerful than she was in the corresponding manga arc; why make the bell her sole weapon?) and Pegasus is an illusion. Not that the brewing conflict is really FELT. The Dead Moon is content to target one person at a time, while its leader and army of monsters faff about (Zirconia's like the Lothor of the Sailor Moon anime), so the closest we get to an 'interesting' subplot is the designated trio villain developing their victim's trap every week while the soldiers faff about and occasionally wonder why a flying horse comes to help them in every fight. Luckily this changes once the Quartet comes and Super S rights itself by having more fights and more episodes to develop the main plot. I like it for what it is, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't.

I understand what you mean, and when I was young I enjoyed every single episode of Sailor Moon (except maybe the Dinosaure episode and the recap). Even when the manga was released, I loved both stories in parallel.
Still, I wish a faithful adaptation of the manga would be made because the story is just that great. I deserves its own adaptation and beat the crap out of Madoka Magica!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Sailor Moon is a very good mythological fantasy and Madoka Magica wouldn't have been possible without it. Madoka Magica is a faustian tragedy, a lovecraftian horror tale, and a great Magical Girl character study; a masterpiece, indisputably. Let's not rank, here.

Also, all an adaptation need do is try capture the spirit of the original and stand on its own. Sailor Moon the anime isn't an unfaithful adaptation; it's its own story.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Guys, remember, the original Sailor Moon manga and anime releases were pretty much concurrent.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
I suppose it proves the point that I'm an obsessed Sailor Moon fan that it bugs me you've labelled this the "SuperS" arc, when that was an anime only title (though yeah TokyoPop used it as well) the manga calls this the "Dream" arc. Eh I not really that bothered but I did still feel the compulsion to point it out.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I suppose it proves the point that I'm an obsessed Sailor Moon fan that it bugs me you've labelled this the "SuperS" arc, when that was an anime only title (though yeah TokyoPop used it as well) the manga calls this the "Dream" arc. Eh I not really that bothered but I did still feel the compulsion to point it out.

It was a conscious choice - I went with the title that I felt most people would be familiar with, which was, as you pointed out, in large part due to the original TokyoPop releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2