• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oldest TV Anime's Color Screenshots Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Wow. Looks... Interesting.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Obligatory ironic "moeshit killing the industry" comment.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Kinda wanna see it now hope it will be available in some way or another.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
I was expecting an art style along the lines of Momotarō: Umi no Shinpei. Consider me pleasantly surprised.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
Definitely closer to Senya Ichiya Monogatari than Hakujaden. I'd say my interest is piqued, I thought it was just gonna be some stupid flitty stuff for children with similar designs to other stuff from that era. Bring it on, in HD.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
I wanted to see it when the news first came out and I want to see it even more now. I hope that we'll get the chance to see it.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
This is so cool. Very Happy
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Definitely closer to Senya Ichiya Monogatari than Hakujaden. I'd say my interest is piqued, I thought it was just gonna be some stupid flitty stuff for children with similar designs to other stuff from that era. Bring it on, in HD.

How do you show something like this in HD?
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:

You make a high-definition transfer from the film and then, like, put it on TV or something. It's film, it has an effective resolution far higher than SD. That's why 16mm and 35mm anime get Blu-ray releases with much sharper lineart and more detailed background than modern digitally-produced anime. Films many decades older than this have been released in HD, because film is an analogue medium.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:

Depends on the size of the film it was shot on, but 35mm film is a higher resolution than anything you'll get on Bluray right now.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Somebody better DVR this, stat.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
You make a high-definition transfer from the film and then, like, put it on TV or something. It's film, it has an effective resolution far higher than SD. That's why 16mm and 35mm anime get Blu-ray releases with much sharper lineart and more detailed background than modern digitally-produced anime. Films many decades older than this have been released in HD, because film is an analogue medium.

Do you have examples of anime from the 50's, 60's and 70's that have successfully made the transfer to HD and screenshots to prove the difference?
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
jymmy wrote:

Do you have examples of anime from the 50's, 60's and 70's that have successfully made the transfer to HD and screenshots to prove the difference?

I don't know of any anime titles from the 50s and 60s that have done that - although there are many, many films that have done so recorded on the same physical medium and there's literally no reason it wouldn't work - but there are several 70s anime that have been released in Blu-ray such as "Heidi, Girl of the Alps", "Aim for the Ace" and "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro".

An example of much older animation that has been released on Blu-ray is Looney Tunes.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I don't know of any anime titles from the 50s and 60s that have done that - although there are many, many films that have done so recorded on the same physical medium and there's literally no reason it wouldn't work - but there are several 70s anime that have been released in Blu-ray such as "Heidi, Girl of the Alps", "Aim for the Ace" and "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro".

An example of much older animation that has been released on Blu-ray is Looney Tunes.

The HD transfer needs to provide detail that can't be seen in SD. You can't just do a transfer, call it HD, slap a Blu-Ray label on it and hope that the fans will bite. You have to show the fans that there are actual details in the HD transfer that warrants the extra few bucks for either a Blu-Ray or an HD download. Quite frankly, for a show as old as this, I don't see what extra details can be seen that is relevant to consumer interests.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Out of interest, which pre-00s anime Blu-ray killed your children exactly? I'm a community-minded fellow and if it's still at large I'm thinking of putting up posters. spoiler[They'll be at like 70DPI, of course].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2