• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
North American Manga Anthologies

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the recent explosion of manga anthologies being released in North America

Animerica Extra
http://www.animerica-extra.com/
Raijin Comics
http://www.raijincomics.com/
Shonen Jump
http://www.shonenjump.com/
Super Manga Blast
http://www.darkhorse.com/products/subject/manga/index.html

I'm wondering how many more anthologies can be commercially viable in North America. I believe it was a mistake for TokyoPop to cancel Smile last year but hopefully they will re-introduce that in the future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
billslates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Animerica Extra is a pretty good monthly, but they tend to make certain series always have more page numbers consistently than others(Revolutionary Girl Utena to Steam Detectives). Because it tends to do that mostly to the shojo titles(which comprise most of the anthology), I don't really buy it anymore. Scott Fraizer's columns pretty cool, but what's the deal with the 'Jan Scott Fraizer' thing? Is Scott Fraizer and Jan Scott Fraizer the same person?

Raijin Comics. VERY good. If I had money(to spend), I would most likely spend it on this. I like the variety of the series, and the fact that its a weekly. Around issue 5, I was really intrigued as the plots started to pick up. Its sad that my subscription ran out :(. The only problem I had was that I got the issues out of order(last 3). I hope it isn't normal. Still though, I can always read through these issues without getting bored. Very good. I think its actually better(and possibly cheaper) to get the issues rather than the Graphic Novels(depends on cost).

Shonen Jump. Good. I am a fan of Shonen Jump, but i've already read a lot of the series, and for some odd reason, its pretty dull to read a chapter of Jump over again. Of course, these are the cheapest per page of the bunch, so you can't really lose. I recommend that you buy the Graphic Novels instead. They're going to be around 200 pages at $8 bucks a pop, plus Jump Manga isn't meant to be read three issues a month. It just loses its interest.

Super Manga Blast. Haven't read a single issue. I saw it once, but most of the series seemed dull. I'm not really a fan of Dark Horse w/ manga. Their Graphic Novels cost TOO much.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if the manga was super new, just as new as it is in Japan, maybe I'd give it a look. Otherwise, it's much like the regular comic format, only it's squashed into one big book rather than smaller seperate comics. I'd rather go with a graphic novel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My only Comlaint with Raijin is it costs way to much. I wish they would make it monthly just make it bigger. So for what Raijin is running ill just wait for the Graphic novels of the few series I want manely City Hunter.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
John Jakala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:15 pm Reply with quote
If I were buying Raijin off the newsstand, I think $4.95 would be a fair price to pay for a 200+ page magazine. But I do wish they would sweeten the deal on their subscriptions. Shonen Jump had a charter subscription offer of $19.95 for 12 issues (66% off cover), and even now the regular subscription price of $29.95 is 50% off cover. Raijin's best subscription deal only gets you a discount of 20% off cover, and it requires a one-year subscription ($189.60) to hit that discount level.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:18 pm Reply with quote
yeah only reason i subscribed to shonen jump was its such a screaming deal at the time for the price of 4 issues I got a years worth. Course I've always gotten them after that issue hit newstands but for the price I cant complain much.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:17 am Reply with quote
With Raijin moving to a montly, Super Manga Blast is now the only anthology not published monthly. I'm curious how the market will bear out now with these four publications.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I read that NewType attracted so many advertisers that they were able to lower the monthly issues from $12 to $10. I wonder why the anthology magazines haven't been able to attract good advertising to lower the costs. Anybody got a clue?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:08 pm Reply with quote
billslates wrote:
Scott Fraizer's columns pretty cool, but what's the deal with the 'Jan Scott Fraizer' thing? Is Scott Fraizer and Jan Scott Fraizer the same person?

Yes indeed: Jan Scott Fraizer

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
How important is page count for the anthologies you read?
So DraZtic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:14 am Reply with quote
as long as people dont tell me how naruto, shaman king and one peice end im going to keep reading shonen jump

cant wait for the last part of sandland...i should get that issue by next month
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1