• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spike Lee's Oldboy Film's 1st Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Well watching this trailer, it does look promising. I hope this is more close to the manga than the Korean version. I wonder how come nobody complain or bash the Korean version for not being faithful to the manga.

To all the remake haters: so you don't like it when American remake Asian films. What about when Japan decided to remake Clint Eastwood's oscar-winning film, Unforgiven. How come nobody complain about it. What about Hong Kong remaking Cellular into Connected. Where's the complaint for that? Just to let you know, South Korea is going to remake 2 western films:

South Korea to remake a Canadian film

South Korea to remake Point Blank, a French film

Are any of you haters going to complain about that or are you going to give them a free pass because anything Asian is superior. By saying that, you'll not only be losing credibility and legitimancy, you'll be label a Asian supremacist if you pull a double standard when it come to who remake who.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks to me like they changed the story quite a bit, at least from the Korean one. I'm not liking what I saw...
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Looks to me like they changed the story quite a bit, at least from the Korean one. I'm not liking what I saw...

The Korean film didn't even stay close to the manga. Maybe the US remake will be closer to the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually looks pretty good. Not really a fan of Spike Lee though.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
If "Old Boy" sucks, it'll probably be because Spike Lee actually read the manga.

Remember: after "Dragonball Evolution," the only way to go is up.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I think the trailer makes it quite clear that this Oldboy is despite claims
to the contrary a remake of the Korean film adaptation and NOT a reboot of the original Japanese manga.

Although I was expecting this I'm still rather frustrated as a fan of the original manga because this is TWICE that we don't get an adaptation that actually follows the original which I do believe is the best one.

All in all I think this will be a good movie. But it won't be Oldboy.

Also Oh Dae Su is NOT Oldboy.

THIS

is the REAL Oldboy.

Remember that.
KiraMustDie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I love the Korean film, and am a big Chan-Wook Park fan, but this looks pretty promising. It looks at almost if not just as dark, gritty, and violent as the Korean film, although with a few changes that might make things interesting. Can't say whether it's gonna be terrible, decent, or as good as the Korean film, Just gotta wait until it comes out so I could see it.

Also, to anyone who says that a remake is pointless or that Hollywood has run out of new ideas, anyone, ANY IDIOT, can make the "Pointless Remake" and "Hollywood lacks originality" argument. It is the easiest argument you can make towards a remake, and it's very easy to debunk and doesn't make you seem any smarter or more clever if you have no solid evidence or backing argument to follow up with.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Here comes violence well anyways it dose look good
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I disregarded my intense dislike for Spike Lee while evaluating this movie via its trailer and I concluded that this movie still doesn't appeal to me.

From the trailer, I don't see how Josh Brolin is supposed to be some sort of martial arts master. It reminds me of the JCVD movie In Hell, specifically the portion where JCVD works out extensively in solitary confinement for a long period of time and still has a lot of difficulty fighting other people in arranged matches when he gets out of solitary. 20 years of solitary confinement and Lee expects us to believe that Brolin emerges exceptionally skilled in killing his fellow men with "melee weapons" and his bare hands? I don't buy it.

Especially since, looking at JCVD today he isn't as spry as he once was and Brolin's character would (and Brolin is) around the same age.

I've seen similar "mind games" played on people elsewhere and I preferred them. Though I believe the biggest issue I have with this movie is that the protagonist was only released because his captor wanted to "play". He didn't escape via his own volition (the trailer doesn't even give the impression that Brolin tried to escape, save through failed suicide) and I doubt that this will make a satisfying movie as, even if his once and former captor dies to Brolin's hand, Brolin still loses and the captor "wins".

Some works, In the Line of Fire comes to mind, have incorporated similar elements in such a way that, even though their protagonists only bested their captors/manipulators because the captors/manipulators deliberately and obviously aided them, the works still felt satisfactory after they concluded. I doubt that this movie could.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
KiraMustDie wrote:

Also, to anyone who says that a remake is pointless or that Hollywood has run out of new ideas, anyone, ANY IDIOT, can make the "Pointless Remake" and "Hollywood lacks originality" argument. It is the easiest argument you can make towards a remake, and it's very easy to debunk and doesn't make you seem any smarter or more clever if you have no solid evidence or backing argument to follow up with.

Given that the same haters ignore Asian remakes of American films that has happened for the last few years. Japan, China, and Korea has been remaking western films and I'm surprised a lot of people that bash American remake of Asian film also ignored Asia's remake of American films, so that makes me question if the people that bash American remake of Asian films are hypocrite. I'm amazed how the haters simply ignored or give Asian remake of American films a free pass from bashing. Geez, I wonder what would happen if South Korea wanted to remake this film:

and Lee Byung Hun played a Korean Tony Montana for the Korean remake. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody said this:

"F(bleep) yeah!!! This is going to rock!!! You know what, f(bleep) the original the Korean version is going to blow the f(bleep)ing s(bleep) out of the original. Lee Byung-Hun Oppa is going to nail this role better then Al f(bleep) Pacino!!! You know what f(bleep) you, De Palma!!! F(bleep) you, Pacino!!! The American version stinks and the Korean remake is going to blow the s(bleep) out of the American version!!!"

Yep, I could imagine somebody saying this.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I disregarded my intense dislike for Spike Lee while evaluating this movie via its trailer and I concluded that this movie still doesn't appeal to me.

From the trailer, I don't see how Josh Brolin is supposed to be some sort of martial arts master. It reminds me of the JCVD movie In Hell, specifically the portion where JCVD works out extensively in solitary confinement for a long period of time and still has a lot of difficulty fighting other people in arranged matches when he gets out of solitary. 20 years of solitary confinement and Lee expects us to believe that Brolin emerges exceptionally skilled in killing his fellow men with "melee weapons" and his bare hands? I don't buy it.

Especially since, looking at JCVD today he isn't as spry as he once was and Brolin's character would (and Brolin is) around the same age.

I've seen similar "mind games" played on people elsewhere and I preferred them. Though I believe the biggest issue I have with this movie is that the protagonist was only released because his captor wanted to "play". He didn't escape via his own volition (the trailer doesn't even give the impression that Brolin tried to escape, save through failed suicide) and I doubt that this will make a satisfying movie as, even if his once and former captor dies to Brolin's hand, Brolin still loses and the captor "wins".

Some works, In the Line of Fire comes to mind, have incorporated similar elements in such a way that, even though their protagonists only bested their captors/manipulators because the captors/manipulators deliberately and obviously aided them, the works still felt satisfactory after they concluded. I doubt that this movie could.

Believe it as much as you believe the protagonist in the Korean OldBoy could handle so many people.

mdo7, this is who we're dealing with. Some people have developed the delusion that Japan can do no wrong, rather than taking things as they come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

mdo7, this is who we're dealing with. Some people have developed the delusion that Japan can do no wrong, rather than taking things as they come.

It's not only Japan, these group of people think all of Asia is superior over western stuff. I've seen Asian supremacy in all of weird form. When US adapt stuff from Japan into live-action and called it whitewash, but yet when another Asian countries like Korea or Taiwan adapt a manga into live-action nobody complain despite they're renaming the Japanese character into Chinese or Korean character and change the setting from Japan to another location which would be no different from "whitewashing".

How does Shinichi Gotō becoming Oh Dae Su is any different from Shinichi Gotō becoming Joe Doucett for the American remake? You're changing the character name and nationality regardless what the country the film is getting a remake.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

It's not only Japan, these group of people think all of Asia is superior over western stuff. I've seen Asian supremacy in all of weird form. When US adapt stuff from Japan into live-action and called it whitewash, but yet when another Asian countries like Korea or Taiwan adapt a manga into live-action nobody complain despite they're renaming the Japanese character into Chinese or Korean character and change the setting from Japan to another location which would be no different from "whitewashing".

How does Shinichi Gotō becoming Oh Dae Su is any different from Shinichi Gotō becoming Joe Doucett for the American remake? You're changing the character name and nationality regardless what the country the film is getting a remake.

I don't think using examples of adapting US movies to Asian is a good example because Asia is mostly a homogenous country while the US is not.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I don't think using examples of adapting US movies to Asian is a good example because Asia is mostly a homogenous country while the US is not.

Asia is not a country.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Josh Brolin is a great actor so hopefully the direction is good as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3