• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cirque du Freak's Arai Launches Manga of Les Misérables Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
A manga?! Of Les Miserables?! Awesome!!! The anime was wonderful so I'll definitely read the manga! Very Happy

Does anyone else think Jean Valjean kinda looks a little like that guy who impersonated Phoenix Wright in that one Ace Attorney game?
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I want to read this! Very Happy
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
And the award for "Two favorite things I least expect to show up in an ANN headline together" goes to...

No but like... AAAAH I've been wanting to see more from Takahiro Arai, since no one seems to want to license ARAGO. Also it's Les Miz. This is so amazing and perfect.

(If you haven't done so already, you HAVE to read the CDF manga! It's amazing!)

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh I can't wait until this gets to Enjolras and that group~~~~
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if VIZ will bring it over...

It's great to see Arai's current style! It's changed so much from the early volumes of Cirque du Freak. Or he could be trying out something new. Still, it looks much more refined.
ComtesseDivina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited!!! The art looks so gorgeous and mature compared to some of his past work, I love how soft and delicate it is. He's shown the different personalities of every character and that I love!

I especially love Javert's look, the side burns, the blue greatcoat, the intense expression of his gaze (but not overly harsh and they look a bit sad?). There's a sort of grave majesty to his look, and the way his hair is drawn is beautiful and delicate.

Jean Valjean looks badass, his expression is harsher than I imagine from the book, but it fits with the fact that he was once a hardened criminal (and not a nice guy when he first was released from prison), and can intimidate and frighten people. Because he's a misunderstood guy, and his appearance seems to contribute to that. He looks properly muscular as well.

Cosette is such a cutie pie, and Fantine looks pretty and sad and desperate (poor baby), and is that Eponine next to her? She looks gorgeous. And then there's the bishop.

I hope the author gives Javert a sense of humor, he's pretty funny in the book and it'd be a shame if that didn't make it into the manga! Javert and Valjean are my favorite characters.

I don't expect it to be exactly like the book and I don't mind if it isn't, and I'd love to see add-ins if they are in character and fit with the spirit of the story. I'd especially love to see how the mangaka's handles backstory (such as Javert's criminal parents, Valjean's past, etc). I wonder how many volumes this will be? As soon as it hits the States you can bet I'm buying this manga.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ComtesseDivina wrote:
... and I'd love to see add-ins if they are in character and fit with the spirit of the story.

Ohhh this will be a thing. I'm thinking of book 12 of Cirque du Freak, and that Lake of Souls bit that was added by him.

This is going to be great!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

THEY BETTER!!! But then again, I think Yen Press would be better suited for this.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
And so it transpires that upon reading this news, several people have quite quickly become spoiler[less miserable].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ComtesseDivina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow it's going to be hard waiting for this. *must. Keep. Mind on. something else. till it comes out*
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

THEY BETTER!!! But then again, I think Yen Press would be better suited for this.

This is a Shogakukan title, so VIZ is probably the sole option. The only reason Yen got Cirque du Freak was because the source material was published by Little, Brown in the US, LB being a part of Hachette, Yen's parent. Otherwise, there seems to be a legal bog that companies have to sift through. It's not impossible--for instance, Dark Horse did get Gantz, despite it being Shueisha. Just more difficult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1