• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English-Dubbed Girls und Panzer Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sentai was going with senshado. Maybe that's in the subtitles. I like the narration script and how the whole video is basically just tank combat.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised how well the narrator pronounced Girls und Panzer. Usually German pronunciations are decent to okay in anime.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait... Sentai actually put together a honest-to-goodness trailer for a TV anime with some creative effort, and not some poorly edited AMV set to the OP, ED, or some bgm?

STOP THE PRESSES
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they're putting a lot of effort into this release. They better not screw it up like Penguindrum. Fingers crossed for the Katyusha scene
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna get nick-picky about their odd pronuciation of "und panzer". Overall it seems like this one won't be toobad compared to most modern dubs. As usual though, the Japanese audio seems like it will be the only version worth listening to.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
they don't even have a cast yet, so how can you even know that?

Last edited by getchman on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The main problem I had with this show (since I'm a military and history buff) is the fact that every tank driven by the main Panzer teams in this show, in real life, would be out classed by the Panzer Mk4, because unlike the Mk3 the Mk4 came standard with a short barrel 75. It also had a far superior design to all other medium tanks at the time of its introduction into the war with the exception of the T-34 in 1940. Now if any of the other teams had a M4 Sherman or a T-34 then it would had been a more fair fight.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Did Sentai not get the message? Panzerfahren is the proper translation.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not gonna get nick-picky about their odd pronuciation of "und panzer". Overall it seems like this one won't be toobad compared to most modern dubs. As usual though, the Japanese audio seems like it will be the only version worth listening to.

That's the native German pronunciation...
eureka17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Hope that means that there would be better translations than the fan English subs which should be really called "English subs (with random German subs, even though at most moments they're still speaking Japanese)." Of course, I never got why are their schools are on aircraft carriers and could just use planes instead of tanks and keep the tank schools on dry land so they can just practice tanking there.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
The main problem I had with this show (since I'm a military and history buff) is the fact that every tank driven by the main Panzer teams in this show, in real life, would be out classed by the Panzer Mk4, because unlike the Mk3 the Mk4 came standard with a short barrel 75. It also had a far superior design to all other medium tanks at the time of its introduction into the war with the exception of the T-34 in 1940.

What? The Panzer IV is a good tank, but it gets easily outclassed by some of the others featured in the show.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

That's the native German pronunciation...

Yeah, I was actually a bit surprised that they used the proper, native pronunciation. I was expecting the more common, particularly in English, pant-zer pronunciation.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
eureka17 wrote:
Of course, I never got why are their schools are on aircraft carriers and could just use planes instead of tanks and keep the tank schools on dry land so they can just practice tanking there.

one of the OVA's explains the ships
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I was surprised how well the narrator pronounced Girls und Panzer. Usually German pronunciations are decent to okay in anime.

In Japanese?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Re: "und Panzer" pronunciation:
It definitely sounds off, but that's purely a matter of accent; the pronunciation itself is correct.
eureka17 wrote:
Hope that means that there would be better translations than the fan English subs which should be really called "English subs (with random German subs, even though at most moments they're still speaking Japanese)."
Just about everybody subbing the show but Commie only used German when the characters did. You really shouldn't give the sort of people that rename shows credibility to represent the whole.
Quote:
Of course, I never got why are their schools are on aircraft carriers and could just use planes instead of tanks and keep the tank schools on dry land so they can just practice tanking there.
Dogfighting isn't as much of a team sport as tankery. Even so, your suggested knockoff needs to be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5