• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
The "ambiguously-sexed young boy" in Ayakashi Ayashi is a girl. Not terribly important, but I felt that it might be worth mentioning.
Agent Wax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo didn't create Pumpkin Scissors. It's an adaptation of the manga by Iwanga Ryotaro.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
That summary of Bartender makes me wonder why the studio didn't try to get the rights to a Phoenix Wright anime, instead.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what happened to the funny captions? The nose-pinching picture in particular was begging for one.

Anyway, some thoughts: Am I the only one who thought the main guy in Black Blood Brothers looked more like a ripoff of Van from Gun X Sword than Alucard? Although Van doesn't hunt vampires, so I guess there's that.

Bartender's signature line is destined for immortality. It's the sort of thing we'll all be telling our little otaku children about someday.

I'll say this for the new Negima: It had a Chiyo-Chan (of Azumanga fame) cameo, so that's one point in its favor. Although the "Harry Potter gets an overpopulated harem" premise still makes me shake my head in sadness.

Sure, Code Gaess pretends to be all up-with-Japan, resist the imperialist American dogs and whatnot, but it's all a lie. Check out this cap from episode one:

How can you rage against the Western Machine when you're doing product placement for their corperate fast food companies? You didn't see Hirohito ending his wartime speeches with "now march onwards to victory, and remember to think outside the bun!"

Also, why would an empire that originated from the US be called "Britannia?" I think someone's confused.

Finally: While you're completly right about D. Gray Man being fun but unoriginal ("Akuma" are basically round Hollows with gun turrents) in most respects, I gotta give props to the Earl of Millenium, one of the most unique evil masterminds I've seen in a long time. He's like the evil Santa Claus or something: fat, jolly, festive, and at night he slides down your chiminey, turns you into a tortured demonic abomniation, and flies away on his magic umbrella. I'm not sure how he talks without moving his mouth, but I guess that would end up disturbing his GIGANTIC grin.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That summary of Bartender makes me wonder why the studio didn't try to get the rights to a Phoenix Wright anime, instead.

OBJECTION!

Actually...no, no there is no objection. I'd have liked to have seen a Phoenix Wright anime, I must admit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, that would be an amazing show. Even just a law related anime would be a pretty great premise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Blasphemy. Bartender is bound to be the greatest anime of the decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blasphemy. Bartender is bound to be the greatest anime of the decade.

Honestly I really liked Bartender too but I guess Carl didn't. This is why I opened it up to the whole staff, though, so it isn't just one person's opinion on everything.

Also there's no way I'd get through 16+ shows on my own.
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Also, why would an empire that originated from the US be called "Britannia?" I think someone's confused.
Just because they are in america's map position doesn't mean that they originated from america. Although, people are speculating that if this is some alternate history where England fully colonized the US, but it still remains to be seen. Till they explain the empire's history, they are just a generic evil empire, and shouldn't be taken that seriously in terms of where they come from.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
wtf u left out hapiness how cud u tahts lyk the best sho eva i meen luk itz got jun lyk hez jus lyk a gurl n datz so kewl OMG how cud u leav it out OMG LOL

Anyway, I thought splitting up the series among the entirety staff was a great idea; you get many different perspectives on the different series. Once again, a great season preview guide from ANN.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Blasphemy. Bartender is bound to be the greatest anime of [all time].

There. I corrected it for you. Very Happy
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree about D.Gray-Man

Even if it's all full of shounen genre cliches, it's addicting stuff for me. Although I found it much more interesting than some other generic shounen titles I've seen.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
this was a decent write-up, although i would like to have seen Black Lagoon and Kemonozume in there. in my opinion, these are the two most overlooked shows of the year. Bakumatsu and Red Garden are also very promising so far.

anyways i'm enjoying Pumpkin Scissors. there hasn't been a ton of plot, but it's fun to watch. Chevalier D'eon is also turning out great. i'm hoping Ayakashi Ayashi gets better down the line, as it's by Bones.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
this was a dcent write-up, although i would like to have seen Black Lagoon and Kemonozume in there.

There's always more we could do, but there's so much out there that it's impossible to cover everything. This is the biggest preview we've ever done and we only scratched the surface.

Plus, Black Lagoon is licensed by Geneon and people will get a look at that one soon enough when it releases here.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Bartender aside, I agreed with virtually everything said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12