• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, missyqueen, for drawing my attention to that episode. I have completly forgotten about spoiler[the beautiful way in which Momiji talks to Akito back then. I really enjoyed that part and it showed once again what a wonderful character he is. Plus the fact that in order for him to move on, he needs to forget and forgive. And it seems that he is really capable of doing this.]

Now, I don't know if fighterholic decides it's spoiler[Mayu or Machi.] Laughing He likes to keep us in suspans. He will make the announcement tonight, so he says. So we'll just wait and see. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to keep you waiting for so long, studying and nagging of the parents have kept me off the computer for the longest time, really just got on for this.

This week shall be Mayu week. Talk about Mayu herself, her relationship to Hatori, her relationship with Kana, her relationship with Shigure, and how she looks out for her students. Hope you guys have fun, got to go now for the one test and two finals tomorrow Mad

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Man, when school gains its rights on us is getting really tough to manage. Anyways, I'll be quick too cause I have lots of things to do today, including searching for gifts, which will leave me pennyless again.

Ok, Mayu. spoiler[I think that she is a strong woman but what I admire the most at her is the fact that her affection towards Hatori never changed. She loved him from the very beginning which was a really tough thing because she was thinking that Hatori is Kana's lover who was her best friend after all. I admired her strength of just succeeding in being the best friend of both of them without really interefeering between them which was a really good thing to do. Now that I think better: She suffered for them, but most importantly she wanted to see Hatori smile at the end. Which it did happened and even now I can't believe that he actually laughed. In whole manga we see Hatori so serious. But she has done the miracle and for that I'm grateful to Mayu. She has done what no other people have managed to do. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
Not even spoiler[Tohru could do that to him. Interesting her relationship with Shigure, THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING. All they would do is be together, which is what separated them later on. Mayu did not want to take anything from Mayu, and I know exactly how she felt because I've been in that kind of situation before too. But she didn't want them to separate and have Kana end up the way she did, which hurt Mayu and Hatori, but not Kana.]
Later in the series spoiler[her connections to Shigure got funny. Especially with that parent teacher conference where Shigure came and wanted to bother Mayu. And Tohru felt a cold atmosphere in the room, as they were both trying to kill each other nicely.] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Later in the series spoiler[her connections to Shigure got funny. Especially with that parent teacher conference where Shigure came and wanted to bother Mayu. And Tohru felt a cold atmosphere in the room, as they were both trying to kill each other nicely.] Laughing

That was a really funny scene. And I would definetly add here spoiler[the scene when Shigure wants to make Hatori go to Mayu so he sends him after a book. And then Mayu is so pissed off with him that she hangs up on him. It is good to see the interaction between them. I enjoyed very much that part. Nonetheless, I think that she suffered a lot, especially when she realised that Kana has forgotten everything about her relationship with Hatori. I wonder even now if she didn't suspected that thre was something more to the Sohmas than they showed. I mean, didn't she wonder how Kana forgot about it? Cause at that scene when their discussion is presented (after Kana has her memory erased) Mayu says something like your really forgot about it. Or something like that, if I'm remembering corectly. So did she or did she not suspected that there was somethingmore to the whole story?]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:11 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The big question to that is how would she have reacted if she ever found out that Hatori was the one who erased Kana's memories? Then THAT would have been an interesting thing to see.]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I wondered why she didn't ask more questions when she found out Kana lost her memory. Didn't she think it a little strange that Kana ONLY forgot about her relationship with Hatori and nothing else? Kana certainly had a STRANGE amnesia. Also did anyone tell Mayu NOT to try and remind Kana about her and Hatori's relationship (I forgot). ]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I had the same question: how come spoiler[Mayu didn't find strange that Kana forgot about her love story with Hatori and particulary why didn't she ask many questions? I mean, I know that Hatori and Kana have kept secret their relationship but at the same time there were people who knew about it like Shigure and Mayu, later Akito. I mean, how Mayu have reacted if she knew the whole story behind Kana's loss of memory?! Especially, as fighterholic pointed out, if Hatori has been the one to erase Kana's memory. ]

On the other hand spoiler[I think that she would have understood his point of view. In the end, Kana got the easy part of the bargain and Hatori remained with all the beautiful and painful memories. For me he was the one that had the greatest difficulty: keep on living without the girl hat he loved and to see her living without having the smallest clue about his suffering. So I think that in a way at least Mayu would have undestood the part that Hatori played in all this. I think that the biggest question is how she would have reacted if she would have found out that he is part of the zodiac. I'm still curious about it.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
spoiler[There were all sorts of clues that would point to things not being so normal. Like the fact that Shigure wouldn't even touch Mayu while they were a couple. ]
Well, I got through the first day of tests, boy was it a pain. Didn't get to sleep till five AM last night. Then I woke up at seven thirty and went to school to take a test. Page 27 people.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
I think the reason why spoiler[Shigure wouldn't touch Mayu would be the fact that he knew about her real feelings for Hatori and he knew that he didn't stand a chance (not that he ever thought of that). And one more thing: I think the reason that Shigure wanted to do all this game in the first place was to help Mayu being closer to Hatori; being together they could have gone out with Hatori and Kana (being practically the only ones that knew the secret affair between Hatori and Kana. But I still wonder about the real reason for him to even suggest such a thing.]

Plus spoiler[Shigure clearly accepted the way they separated and didn't even argue about it. He was pretty much in love with Akito and she was pretty in love with Hatori, But what would have happened if back then Shigure would have discovered that Mayu wasn't such a bad woman for him and would have fallen in love with her?! I think that many other things would have taken place for the jyuuunishi.]

I can understand your feelings, fighterholic: but do you have many other tests to take? If not, please think that it won't take long till you finish and then you'll get enough sleep. Wink I torment myself with a mid-term paper and I still haven't decided in which direction I should take. We shall see. Cool Good luck!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well remember, spoiler[at this time I believe Shigure was having problems, and he did say that he was "bored". Now Hatori and Kana had an interesting reaction when they found out that Mayu was going out with the slug.]

Just one more day, that's all that matters.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well remember, spoiler[at this time I believe Shigure was having problems, and he did say that he was "bored". Now Hatori and Kana had an interesting reaction when they found out that Mayu was going out with the slug.]

spoiler[The slug?! Laughing interesting nickname for poor Shigure. Wink Well, Shigure was always somehow bored and he liked a lot to play tricks on the other therefore I think for him was also a funny game. I mean, later on when he decides to have these two guys again together and he sands Hatori to take the book, he seems again to play a game so... maybe he was bored again at that time or he just wanted to see Hatori or Mayu happy. Wink ]

But Mayu remains for me a strong woman, Being capable to face both spoiler[Shigure and Hatori, who will also be accommpanied by Ayame is something to be mostly admired.]

One day and counting then....? Good luck!
misaki_yoshiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
waiiiiiit! i don't get it!!! when did Akito become SHE??? i think i missed a volume.....but FUNimation might not let fruits basket go on to the second season of the anime!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
I just got my copy of Vol. 15 (english). What a great Volume!

I really enjoyed the part where Yuki spoiler[comes to the realization that he thinks of Tohru as a "mother" rather than a "lover."] Very bittersweet. But wonderful nonetheless.

Reading the flashback was harder. Poor Yuki! spoiler[I'm invoking a special Ancient Chinese curse upon the heads of his parents...May they get everything that they deserve! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ]

I also like the part where Yuki spoiler[realized how a parent "should" behave. Yeah, Tohru's mother may have been a little over the top, but it certainly was a hell of a lot better than Yuki's parents behaviors.]

And last, but not least, the "Sorta" Cinderella play...talk about over the top! But so many subtle revelations there especially about true feelings. And after the play (I have to go back and re-read the other volumes to see if they've meet before because after reading all of the spoilers here I may be confused!) but spoiler[Hana-chan's feelings for Kazuma certainly appear, in fact, it may ever be love at first sight!]

What an excellent volume!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
misaki_yoshiro wrote:
waiiiiiit! i don't get it!!! when did Akito become SHE??? i think i missed a volume.....but FUNimation might not let fruits basket go on to the second season of the anime!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That is revealed in volume 17. And like it has been said over and over again, there will not be a second season Rolling Eyes

LydiaDianne, spoiler[it certainly was love at first site, and hell for Kyo!] Laughing Definetly a good volume, you'll like Machi's story and how he helps her out Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 170