• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises to Play in L.A. on November 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I know what Im doing that week
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Well if this is truly Miyazaki's last feature film, it looks like he'll be leaving us with a memorable one. I'm going to miss his films. Thank you Miyazaki for all the wonderful years of wondrous imagination, there will never be anyone like you.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'll look forward to this but to make it to LA means I'd have to take a small airplane to get to there ;.;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
LA here I come...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
It's nice to always see them put in this kind of effort for anime films, but this doesn't have a chance of getting nominated and does not deserve it. If this really is Miyazaki's last film (and I'll believe that when I see it), then he ended on a terrible low note, with an awful, wooden lead (Hideaki Anno can't act to save his life) and a story that chose to sweep the consequences of Horikoshi's designs under the rug (which could have made for a fascinating discussion of how an engineer's work can be twisted for purposes he didn't intend) and instead focus on a cliched, schmaltzy melodrama about his dying wife. The Wind Rises is beautifully animated, but otherwise infuriating.

I seriously wish he'd retired one movie earlier.

/rant
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Well this is going to be interesting to see. I can't wait to hear the review and reception for this film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Disney attempting to give the film an Oscar push. Now if we only know whether or not Funimation will try to do something similar to Wolf Children.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

To qualify for consideration in the 86th Academy Awards, a feature film must play in a commercial movie theater in Los Angeles County for at least seven straight days by December 31, 2013.

IF they want it to qualify as a domestically-released film for the 86th Academy Awards (best films of 2013). As a 2013 foreign film, it's already eligible for Best Foreign Film of 2013, assuming Japan submits it as their sole foreign film entrant (each country is allowed only 1 submission).

However, since it's a 2013 foreign film, they are allowed to wait an extra year till December 31, 2014 to do their qualifying LA run to be eligible as a domestically-released film for the 87th Academy Awards (best films of 2014).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard so far of the animated features for 2013, it should win if it does a qualifying run. I haven't seen anyone really talking about Monster's University like they did Brave, even if Brave ended up being sort of a letdown. Everything else: Planes, Despicable Me 2, Turbo, Croods, Epic, was either pure shit or "eh, not bad". Guess all that's left is Frozen, stupid turkey oh god why movie, and Cloudy 2. I liked Tangled, so my money is on Frozen being the choice here of American features that could contend. So yeah, if there's ever a chance to get Miyazaki another Oscar, or Ghibli at all, 2013 is that year. Glad to see they're going to certainly give it a shot.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
GKids is trying to get Letters to Momo out for an Oscar run as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1