• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forming a Light Novel Writer Group

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicko.anggra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
I don't really know whether this kind of post is allowed here or not. So anyone, please tell me that I'm not doing something wrong.
I've been loving manga and light novels for far so long, and now I'm thinking to make one. But I know that there's no way I could ever make one alone atm... one that many people come to like of course.
So here I am, naively thinking that maybe I can find same people with same desire? By the way I don't really plan to make money from whatever the outcome. I just wanna spend my free time catching a better grasp of writing a light novel or maybe writing the storyline for a manga... at least until I'm capable to make one myself.
But as you can see my English sucks. I've only been good at Math and cheating on tests, and to be honest I'm not that much a poetic person.
So to anyone who's interested in forming one... mangaka group or light novel writer group... whatever that is, I want your strength! Well, I can't guarantee whether I can be much of a help to the group later or not... but let's just create one first! Anime smile
P.S. atm I can only think of the idea and background of the story. so firstly I need... a person who can think fast and find me the people I need to write a story.
Rider JadeStone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
I love writing, and have written one entire novel (not yet published) already and working on another AND trying to create a manga (currently working on). I would love to join your "group". Very Happy
I can definitely give you suggestions and such if you need any assistance. English is my strong suit so I could help you there if you need it.
nicko.anggra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Rider JadeStone wrote:
I love writing, and have written one entire novel (not yet published) already and working on another AND trying to create a manga (currently working on). I would love to join your "group". Very Happy
I can definitely give you suggestions and such if you need any assistance. English is my strong suit so I could help you there if you need it.

Read my pm about it! Very Happy
dragoon119

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey nicko.anggra nice dream and goal.

Their are plenty of light novel writers on the net, however unlike the manga writers and even VN developers. Their mostly scattered about and isolated from each other. The first step to bringing this thing into fruition is to make a group on a busy and 'happening site.' Not to say this isn't, but the more people who see this, the greater amount of people can come together and join you.
So, I recommend going to a writers forum and look under Anime and such. Nanowrimo could be a potential big one!
Second, Light novels require an illustrator so deviantart is going to be your last stop after you finish polishing and perfecting your manuscript.
Third and lastly, you are gonna need some feedback to grow, this is where the need for the happening sight becomes crucial. Because, sites with large volumes of traffic attract ghosts. People who have no account by linger in the forums to read bits and pieces of information anyhow. Get the attention of enough ghosts, and you'll get a following. And its that following that Agents like to see when considering an author for current or future projects.

You'll probably never read this, but as a hobbiest light novel writer myself I felt compelled to pass on any scraps of information I've learned on my solitary journey.
Good luck! Very Happy
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm also trying. I already finished 2 volumes of my light novel. I sent it to a few people I know so they can give their feedback, but they hate reading lol Only one of them has finished the first and is half done with the second volume. He tells me it is prettygood :p Idk where to go from here though. I wanna start posting it on ssites, but I don't want anyone to steal it (as if they would) so I want to copyright it...but...gah! Im lost :/
rin yong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
i love writing novel....and my dream is to turn my novel into anime but i do believe with my only effort it may take a long time....i hope you can accept me as your member too

thank
dragoon119

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Treeborn; Be careful about what you do with your creation. My advice is this,
Take a break, sit back and enjoy life for what is for about a week or so. Then look at your novel and ruthlessly cut it to pieces. When you think it is as solid as it's ever gonna be. Take it to Critique Circle. It's a massive community of budding writers who help each other critique their stories and such. You can even go further in depth and have specialized people only read your story for errors. I believe even professional editors visit that site every now and then.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Idk where to go from here though. I wanna start posting it on ssites, but I don't want anyone to steal it (as if they would) so I want to copyright it...but...gah! Im lost :/

Just so you know: if you post it on a web site, real publishers will view it as "published" and won't touch it with a ten-foot pole in most cases. It doesn't matter whether it's been stolen or not. The issue is that there's no way to be sure it hasn't been stolen, and this creates a risk that most publishers would rather do without.

As for the copyright, you don't have to do anything. The copyright is yours from the moment you write a story. It can be registered if you want, but legitimate publishers aren't in the business of stealing people's work, so there's no need to assert copyright when you submit your work to them. (In fact, doing so is considered a mark of a newbie).

When you go looking for places to publish your work, this site may be helpful:

www.ralan.com
dragoon119

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
"Their are plenty of light novel writers on the net, however unlike the manga writers and even VN developers. Their mostly scattered about and isolated from each other."

Case in point, here's a link to another Light novel writer currently illustrating and writing his light novel Yume no Gakuen ~A place of dreams.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/3283431-yume-no-gakuen-~a-place-of-dreams~
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
dragoon119 wrote:
Yume no Gakuen ~A place of dreams.~

**Skims through it.** IMO, the author of this would be well served to seek a little inspiration from his own life instead of just LNs, VNs, late night anime, and/or fanfics.

I was in the audience at a Q&A with Charles de Lint and Orson Scott Card many years ago, and something Card said has always stuck with me: "People usually start writing for one of two reasons: 1) they read something they really love and want to do it too, or 2) they read something really awful and think, 'Pfft! That got published?! Even I could write something better than that!' Of the two," he said, "the second type tends to produce better work."
dragoon119

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Vanfanel

I will admit, I haven't read Yume no Gakuen let, as I do not like to read other stories while in the middle of writing my own. It just feels weird as if my body is divided between two different dimensions.

I mainly posted that example here as a reference to my post from before, not so much as something to begin critiquing. What the group needs is more members and community recognition. The group needs a name, badging, something that can distinguish it so that people know what it is and actively begins seeking it out. The more people in this group, that begins actively searching for the Light novelist scattered about the net the better. Hey!
Anybody wish to use that as a plot? It could work as a quest sort of story. You know, a literary club at a poor high school in Japan that decides to find the best authors in their school in order to gain enough money and recognition to create a quality manga or light novel to rival the best in the industry???

Oh well, Anyhow, I like what you posted about the Q&A from Charles de Lint and Orson Scott Card. Great Post.
Nashino Sonzai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I have always wanted to make an anime,but there's noway I can do it by myself and then I searched about being a mangaka, I found JamieLynnLano's blog and I follow her...but I can't draw well so I wanted to ask her if I can make a story by writng a light novel instead of a mangaka, and just when I was about to send it,my phone battery ran out..after I charged it,I can't find that courage back again...

My dad and mum want me to enroll to a good highschool with is hard to get in,I can't tell them my dream of being a light novel writer and make an anime...

I just thought of searching for a light novel writer group yesterday and when I see this board, I felt like I got some courage,so even if you don't see my post or it's too late for me to join the group , I'd want to thank you very much
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Nashino, please observe our policy for necroposting. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1