• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Grandeek: The Alternative

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The art style for the manga looks familiar. Did the original manga artist do designs for the Abarenbou Princess game?
Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Shige Sotoyama also directed this slice-of-life anime set in the Tokugawa Era:

anime#4188
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Saw this a few years ago, and it felt pretty forgettable. With a quick relook and skim-through today, I noticed how much water motif the OVA had.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Rather interesting how two people can watch the same thing, make the same observations, but then come to completely different conclusions. I watched Grandeek only a couple of months ago, and I really liked it. I had to watch it twice to understand what was going on, but I loved the focus on "mood and emotion" and "oblique storytelling". Of course, I am also a total sucker for non-linear storytelling, and it helps to understand large sections of the OVA are told out of order. And while the animation isn't great, including one section where it looks like they ran out of money and just shoved the storyboard in place, I found the art style and the use of color and symbolism to be fantastic. And this might be due to medium--I watched it on a blurry fansub, so I wouldn't notice the visual flaws one would see in a DVD release.

But I really loved the Low Fantasy take and how it delved into Grey Morality, instead of the epic High Fantasy so prevalent in anime (or in anything, ever since Tolkien first decided to rip off Nibelungenlied). I see Grandeek sort of like some old Roman ruins -- vauble for it's rarity and uniqueness, even if it is utterly broken.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
Know this is older, but the name you were wondering about is Sou Toyama:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/外山草
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1